Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Problem

• 13-09-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a laptop running Vista. Just this evening the Desktop wont appear on the screen or the bar (what ever the correct name for it is) that has the start menu on it.

The top task bar that has the email icon and internet tab and media tab and so on is still there.

Just wondering if my laptop is knackered or would it be worth my while dropping it in somewhere to be looked at.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

All repair shops should be able to sort it easily enough as long as the hard drive isn't damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

GarIT wrote: »
    All repair shops should be able to sort it easily enough as long as the hard drive isn't damaged.

Cheers.

I hope it's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

you could try a system restore.
    just after you turn machine on, just before you see windows loading, press f8.
    a menu should open up and you can choose "repair this computer".
    let it load, and log-in to a account that has admin rights.
    then choose system restore and see if you can revert it back to when it was working.

p/m me i live near to balbriggan, if ever you want me to have a look at it, if you can't get it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Firblog

press ctrl alt & delete at the same time to bring up task manager, when I comes up select 'new task' and type msconfig, when that pops up click on the startup tab and disable all, then ok to restart.

Is it a Dell laptop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a laptop running Vista. Just this evening the Desktop wont appear on the screen or the bar (what ever the correct name for it is) that has the start menu on it.

The top task bar that has the email icon and internet tab and media tab and so on is still there.

Just wondering if my laptop is knackered or would it be worth my while dropping it in somewhere to be looked at.

Cheers.

Sounds like a problem ive encountered on my own laptop. when switching it on the screen refuses to display anything. powering it off and on has solved the problem other times waiting bout 10minutes the screen loads itself. Thats running windows 7. so can try those two options if not already or load in safe mode and reboot then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement