Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for SUSI dilemma- what to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

Sweet Jesus susi have sent me a letter looking for more stuff. I am really starting to lose the rag with this mess. I sent everything they asked me for the 1st time now they want more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭michelleling

sean1976 wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus susi have sent me a letter looking for more stuff. I am really starting to lose the rag with this mess. I sent everything they asked me for the 1st time now they want more

Ha they do that to nearly everybody!.
    If you try to tell them that you did send all the documents, they will tell you that you're wrong!..wtf?

Mod Note: I edited your post. Unfair generalisation.
    Paperclip2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 omar1987

No joy with the BTEA here. Have to have the fees paid by Susi before college will hand out the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

daychris76 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what 3rd level institution you are in but I can speak from personal experience. I'm a 4th year in GMIT who has had to apply to SUSI this year instead of my local VEC. I am also awaiting BTEA.
    If you ask your registration office for a letter of 'provisional registration' (telling them that you have applied to SUSI and are awaiting further information), this will suffice for the BTEA application. I know this to be a fact, having been through the process for the past 3 years.

As for SUSI, it really is anyone's guess how long it will take. I would advise you to download this form in advance of receiving notification about provisional grant approval and get it filled in too by the college you are attending, it may help speed up the process slightly, http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/Final-Course-Acceptance-Form.pdf.aspx .

Hope some of this helps. Remember, the college NEED you to be there just as much as you need to be there, I hope they are as helpful as GMIT are to me in this regard.

Chris.

I'm going to collect my student card on Friday so i will ask for this provisional letter then.

Hopefully there won't be any hassle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

PlainP wrote: »
    I'm going to collect my student card on Friday so i will ask for this provisional letter then.

Hopefully there won't be any hassle.....

I thought most colleges wont issue students with student cards until they are registered?

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    I thought most colleges wont issue students with student cards until they are registered?

We had an email circulated to all first years yesterday. It stated that we just needed to pay e38 and show proof of that you had progressed to the next step in receiving the grant and then we were allowed to register, which I did yesterday.

I will see on Friday if this is sufficient enough to receive the BTEA letter.

We had an email circulated to all first years yesterday. It stated that we just needed to pay e38 and show proof of that you had progressed to the next step in receiving the grant and then we were allowed to register, which I did yesterday.

I will see on Friday if this is sufficient enough to receive the BTEA letter.

Ooh that was good of your college. (may I ask which one?) Hope it is enough for BTEA

Ooh that was good of your college. (may I ask which one?) Hope it is enough for BTEA

Yeah real good....DCU.... I think the the fees office were put under pressure from a few people as there were so many students in the same boat regarding the whole SUSI situation, we have until the 1st of Dec to provide a letter from SUSI stating whether we are eligible or not.

I'll let you all know how I get on on Friday....Fingers crossed....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

I'm in LIT and got my student card even though SUSI only sent me the request for documents letter. I can't though get the letter for BTEA until SUSi pays the fee.:(

I'm in LIT and got my student card even though SUSI only sent me the request for documents letter. I can't though get the letter for BTEA until SUSi pays the fee.:(

I am glad to hear more colleges are being more accomodating to students needs this year, but I still think the system needs a radical overhaul so that everyone involved in the process is on the same page. Minimises stress on the new student

• Advertisement

Hi
    I have fully registered and got my student card. TCD accepted the SUSI Reg number that came with the document pack. This allowed me to get the letter for the BTEA which I will now receive starting from next week.
    I would ask ur college for a letter to say that you have registered, also did you receive a letter from social welfare stating that u are eligible for BTEA if you did I would show it to the admin in the college.

DCU still wont let me register, despite the fact that I have paid the Student Centre Charge and have shown them my provisionally grant approval letter. :(

I am paying EU Fees and not Free Fees

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

i am still waiting........ anybody got any news from good ol' susi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭BehindTheScenes

sean1976 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have fully registered and got my student card. TCD accepted the SUSI Reg number that came with the document pack. This allowed me to get the letter for the BTEA which I will now receive starting from next week.
    I would ask ur college for a letter to say that you have registered, also did you receive a letter from social welfare stating that u are eligible for BTEA if you did I would show it to the admin in the college.

Hey Sean, I showed the SUSI and BTEA letter and was temporarily registered. I was told that SUSI send a list of names who have fully qualified for the student charge to be paid by the state at the end of each month to the various institutons. Until your name is on the list LIT will only temporarily register an individual. They gave me a letter stating I was temporarily registered which I then provided to my local social welfare office and was then told this is unacceptable. LIT won't give me a letter until I'm fully registered and the student fees charge has been paid. The social welfare though have been accomodating by saying when I have the letter send it on, whenever that is. That's my situation anyways....

Hey Sean, I showed the SUSI and BTEA letter and was temporarily registered. I was told that SUSI send a list of names who have fully qualified for the student charge to be paid by the state at the end of each month to the various institutons. Until your name is on the list LIT will only temporarily register an individual. They gave me a letter stating I was temporarily registered which I then provided to my local social welfare office and was then told this is unacceptable. LIT won't give me a letter until I'm fully registered and the student fees charge has been paid. The social welfare though have been accomodating by saying when I have the letter send it on, whenever that is. That's my situation anyways....[/Quote]

Hi
    I'm sorry to hear that I think the lit are being dicks about it. They should know that once you qualify for BTEA the grant from susi Is only a proccess.
    I am really surprised by there attitude, but there again I shouldn't be surprised as that seems to be there way.
    Anyway good luck with the future

Regards Sean

Yeah real good....DCU.... I think the the fees office were put under pressure from a few people as there were so many students in the same boat regarding the whole SUSI situation, we have until the 1st of Dec to provide a letter from SUSI stating whether we are eligible or not.

I'll let you all know how I get on on Friday....Fingers crossed....

PlainP, whats ur status with college atm? have u fully registered and got ur student card?

I got my student card today, yay...

But

I forgot to ask about the BTEA letter, I'm such a clutz..

I only remembered around 1/2 an hr ago...I'll go in and ask on Monday..

And in other news I received the email telling me to send in the "confirmation of course acceptance letter" from SUSI today as well which I printed out and sent off straight away. I hope this is the last step in a very stressful start to college.

So don't be worrying people they are getting through the forms...

oh wow! thats two people that i have seen posting on here that they got the email that says "now send confirmation of course acceptance letter" maybe ill be soon! woop woop!!

AlexDublin wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I rang SUSI today to see how my application is going. I got through to a guy who said they have not registered my documentation that i sent in as received yet. They said it may be in sorting. I sent it by registered post. Perhaps this slowed it down? anyways....

I asked when I am likely to hear back from SUSI on whether or not I am approved and he said he could not give a date. I asked will I hear back before my course starts on 24 Sept and he said "i am 100% sure that you wont"

So I said "ok so i am stuck in the backlog"
    to which he replied...... " there is no backlog, you have had since june to apply and people who applied then will be dealt with first"

I was not rude or pushy at all but his attitude was not what i would have expected from a customer service agent. A little understanding goes a long way.....

I am really disappointed in SUSI, I would love to study my degree course this year and I feel they dont want me to......

yikes!

B*llocks to him. I applied first thing and they got all my documents in full and on time and yet people who applied after me have got full word. A shower of absolute lying bluffers.

Stand up to with him and complain about the utter shambles this system really is.

B*llocks to him. I applied first thing and they got all my documents in full and on time and yet people who applied after me have got full word. A shower of absolute lying bluffers.

Stand up to with him and complain about the utter shambles this system really is.

They do seem to have serious problems. From what I can see from other peoples posts on here the whole system seems extremely flawed.

And especially for people like yourself who applied way back at the start, this length of a wait is absolutely ridiculous.

I wonder what the Union of Students Ireland (USI) have to say about this whole thing...

Might give them a buzz on Monday.

• Advertisement

AlexDublin wrote: »
    They do seem to have serious problems. From what I can see from other peoples posts on here the whole system seems extremely flawed.

And especially for people like yourself who applied way back at the start, this length of a wait is absolutely ridiculous.

I wonder what the Union of Students Ireland (USI) have to say about this whole thing...

Might give them a buzz on Monday.

Think most of these student unions are only concerned about the next jersey shore night in the local watering hole tbh. No time for them and never had

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

Nobody in the country has gotten full word.
    No-one.

kaflin wrote: »
    Nobody in the country has gotten full word.
    No-one.

Welcome to boards Kaflin. Some have received an email stating they are at the approval stage which is as good as full word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I applied for a grant (forms sent in 1 month ago) and have heard nothing.

I called just after i sent in the forms and lady told me 'there's a backlog' and they're unable to specify a time

great!!

Welcome to boards Kaflin. Some have received an email stating they are at the approval stage which is as good as full word

Hey there, thanks!

The email would is 'good as' alright, but until there's a letter or something saying everything's final and you are definitely getting the grant, there's always the chance something could come up as an issue and get in the way.

Hey there, thanks!

The email would is 'good as' alright, but until there's a letter or something saying everything's final and you are definitely getting the grant, there's always the chance something could come up as an issue and get in the way.

I think once you get that email it means all the documentation was verfied so it would be unlikely there would be any more issues unless that is you didnt send back the course acceptance form.

I think once you get that email it means all the documentation was verfied so it would be unlikely there would be any more issues unless that is you didnt send back the course acceptance form.

Of course, but as far as college's needing proof you've been fully awarded it still won't cut the mustard.

Of course, but as far as college's needing proof you've been fully awarded it still won't cut the mustard.

Depends on the college in question perhaps. ITCarlow for example accepted my 1st letter provided i gave them a €100 deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Anyone heard from them yet?

Advertisement