Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for SUSI dilemma- what to do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

been deined the grant so god knows what im goin to do now at least i dont have to pay fees just have to find the.money for the studemt contribution

**** buzz, i'm expecting to hear from them soon, theycalled me last week to say i needed to send in 1 more document. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KatieLacey_

Will I get paid for the month of september if i dont get my grant until october?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

Will I get paid for the month of september if i dont get my grant until october?

i would guesss that you wont miss out on the september payment. maybe theyll pay you two in one? i really cant see them holding back septembers payment on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

Your grant will be for a certain amount, no matter what you have to receive that total amount throughout the year, so the missed payment will be back paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Seb_bixby

Think I am going to freak out With Susi! Got a very confusing letter yesterday saying I need to send in more proof of independent residency from the dates of Jan 2011 to may 2011. Rung them and they confirmed this. I pointed out that they had not asked for this in the first place and (here's the kicker) every letter I had enclosed in the document pack dated from Jan 2009 to June 2012 had been addressed to the same address including mortgage statements and they were even writing to me at that address. They said I had not sent anything for those five months. Does nobody in Susi use their heads? Really is a joke.
    College is now looking for payment I don't have and all this when I am in the middle of exams. Stressed doesn't even cover it! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    When did you roughly apply for the grant Scoob7?

By that i mean actually send all the documentation back in to them

Cheers

Hi Dietsquirt - and anyone else thats interested smile.png

Applied for grant 12/06/12
    Sent all my paperwork back 30/07/12
    SUSI sent me an email asking for Final Course Acceptance Form 10/09/12
    Final Course Acceptance Form sent to SUSI 11/09/12
    Letter confirming I have grant and to input bank details 09/10/12
    1st of 9 installments went into my bank 19/10/12

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Seb_bixby wrote: »
    Think I am going to freak out With Susi! Got a very confusing letter yesterday saying I need to send in more proof of independent residency from the dates of Jan 2011 to may 2011. Rung them and they confirmed this. I pointed out that they had not asked for this in the first place and (here's the kicker) every letter I had enclosed in the document pack dated from Jan 2009 to June 2012 had been addressed to the same address including mortgage statements and they were even writing to me at that address. They said I had not sent anything for those five months. Does nobody in Susi use their heads? Really is a joke.
    College is now looking for payment I don't have and all this when I am in the middle of exams. Stressed doesn't even cover it! :-(

I got a similar letter. I rang them and the girl found the documentation they were looking for while I was on the phone! She still could not tell me then if everything was okay, or if they were going to look for anything else.

I put my application in in early August. I have had exams in college already and have not been able to take books out of the library. If it goes on much longer I will have to pull out as I can't be wasting time going to college every day if I have to drop out half way through the year because they come up with another reason not to pay me. Fed up with it now

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Folks - Tell your TDs any problems you are having and ask them to pass on feedback to Ruairi Quinns office

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Folks - Tell your TDs any problems you are having and ask them to pass on feedback to Ruairi Quinns office

Done that weeks ago. I imagine they know about the problem and nothing is being done about it. They are only going to pay when they are ready and clearly the department has put so many restraints on the process it has made the process inefficient.

They are probably waiting for people to get pissed off with waiting and drop out of college. saving them money

Arrived home to a letter saying BTEA will be cut off on 6th of November if I do not prove I am registered in college. Can't prove I am registered until SUSI pay up. . Nearly into November now! This is ridiculous

• Advertisement

dchris wrote: »
    Arrived home to a letter saying BTEA will be cut off on 6th of November if I do not prove I am registered in college. Can't prove I am registered until SUSI pay up. . Nearly into November now! This is ridiculous

holy ****. my social welfare office havent sent me a letter like this yet. luckily. gonna ring susi tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Margaret_s

Hi,
    I'm a fist year undergrad,sent in application when the site went live in June,received the pack early in August sent it off within two days.Got a request for two pieces of information......one wasn't relevant at all ,after a phone call to Susi on advice ,I sent a covering letter and also an email.got a request in September for college acceptance ..sent that in straight away.
    Sill waiting for word, my family's income is well below the ceiling so I should be in titled to it.my parents keep worrying about the uncertainty of it ,now according to the independanent paper we may be waiting till after Christmas.
    According to the article in the paper Susi are blaming the applicants???Yet I applied straight away and sent everything in as requested straight away also.
    Between worrying about Leaving results ,points ,cao offers starting uni, waitng for news on the grants ......the whole process has been very stressful!!!!!!

Margaret_s wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm a fist year undergrad,sent in application when the site went live in June,received the pack early in August sent it off within two days.Got a request for two pieces of information......one wasn't relevant at all ,after a phone call to Susi on advice ,I sent a covering letter and also an email.got a request in September for college acceptance ..sent that in straight away.
    Sill waiting for word, my family's income is well below the ceiling so I should be in titled to it.my parents keep worrying about the uncertainty of it ,now according to the independanent paper we may be waiting till after Christmas.
    According to the article in the paper Susi are blaming the applicants???Yet I applied straight away and sent everything in as requested straight away also.
    Between worrying about Leaving results ,points ,cao offers starting uni, waitng for news on the grants ......the whole process has been very stressful!!!!!!

i hear ya margaret

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

A Tip... Go to cdvec.ie and download the Final Acceptance Confirmation form - and send it in immediately to SUSI. Don't wait for the email that tells you to send it in- after they review your file, as this will only delay matters for weeks. It needs to be in your file when the assessor finally gets around to assessing it. I've Lost a month by getting caught out like this. Hope this helps others. It seems designed to delay the final decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Azures wrote: »
    A Tip... Go to cdvec.ie and download the Final Acceptance Confirmation form - and send it in immediately to SUSI. Don't wait for the email that tells you to send it in- after they review your file, as this will only delay matters for weeks. It needs to be in your file when the assessor finally gets around to assessing it. I've Lost a month by getting caught out like this. Hope this helps others. It seems designed to delay the final decision.

When they ask you to send in the FCAF it doesn't mean anything, I got asked for mine over a month ago, but I received a letter today asking for more documents...the whole thing is a joke. I'm considering leaving college over the whole thing.

PlainP wrote: »
    When they ask you to send in the FCAF it doesn't mean anything, I got asked for mine over a month ago, but I received a letter today asking for more documents...the whole thing is a joke. I'm considering leaving college over the whole thing.

Stick in there. It will be worth it in the long term.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Thanks for the advice Azures, and to the help from everyone on this thread to see how SUSI are treating them. I sent off the FACF over a month ago thanks to someone posting up here that it's a required document.

That didn't stop SUSI sending me an "Urgent - Outstanding Supporting Documentation" e-mail yesterday. Nothing specific, just if you hadn't submitted all the documentation, do so. And if so, send the FACF form. Still, some contact from them is better than no contact for months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Hi guys - Thought u might wana see this. Its from the student union posted to all students yesterday.

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Dear all,[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I Have been given an update on SUSI from the Union of Students’ [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Union in relation[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] to delayed grant payments. The issues discussed were surrounding the new system including the volume of incomplete applications, difficulties with the SUSI helpline, the lack of communication from SUSI to Students' Unions and USI and students on the ground, and the understaffing of the SUSI at the processing level.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Following this meeting, SUSI will fortunately be taking on ten additional staff members to cope with the backlog of applications. They have also appointed a constant point of contact within SUSI for USI to ensure that Students' Unions have a definitive contact for getting information and updates from SUSI alongside the SUSI Forum. They have also agreed to send a representative to National Council in IT Carlow to discuss the current issues in the system with student leaders across the country and how we can work together to address these issues. The representative will also be on hand to answer any queries officers may have in relation to SUSI.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Personally, I will be keeping in constant contact with SUSI and USI on this issue. If I feel that significant improvements are not made in relation to the processing of applications, I believe that an escalation of action may be necessary. [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]I hope this [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]aids[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] some of your worries and if you have any questions or any further problems with SUSI please don’t hesitate to contact me.[/FONT][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Margaret_s

Thanks for tip,on Friday I got a request for a my c21,I had previously been asked for my farthers last June,If I had of had any indication that I would have needed to supply one during all my phone calls to Susi during the summer I would have organised it then now I'm going through the process to get one through ROS...... Don't know how long that will take!I had a summer Job in fifth year how much am I allowed to earn?
    They also requested for the second time my farthers p60 I sent one in my first pack last July.
    Shall I send in my mothers while I am at it?
    So would it be wise or cheeky to send in an acceptance form when I send in the latest request.i can't understand why They just didn't ask for everything in the first instance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi all. Please see below link to Final Course Acceptance Form (FCA) which is available for download from the CDVEC.ie website. This document is now being requested from all applicants who have not already submitted one.

http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/Final-Course-Acceptance-Form.pdf.aspx

The Final Course Acceptance Form is requested in order to establish exactly which Course and Institution an applicant will be attending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bonbondar

robbie owuld you be able to help me. could you find out if my status has been approved or rejected. every thing has been sent off on time, all documents, and final course acceptance form. ive been told ill get a letter but got nothing yet. i would just like to know if it was accepted or not so i can make other arrangements if needed. thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

bonbondar wrote: »
    robbie owuld you be able to help me. could you find out if my status has been approved or rejected. every thing has been sent off on time, all documents, and final course acceptance form. ive been told ill get a letter but got nothing yet. i would just like to know if it was accepted or not so i can make other arrangements if needed. thank you

Amen to that. Am I wasting my time by going to Uni / Missing so much for all of this. Is it worth all the stress?/???!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

bonbondar wrote: »

Hi Bonbondar. For data protection reasons I am unable to give you any status/eligibility updates.

I would advise that you contact my colleagues on the SUSI Helpdesk and they will be able to advise you regarding your application.

You may contact the Helpdesk via phone on 0761087874 or by e-mail at support@susi.cdvec.ie

Robbie, it's an absolute disgrace people are waiting this long. I applied in July with all documentation. I received a letter in September to say I was missing a form which was delaying my application, then when I contacted SUSI the person on the phone discovered all my documentation was in fact in order. I have heard nothing since.

It is now November and I am still unable to take books from the library in university and I am in the middle of exams. SUSI could not give me any indication as to when payment may be made or a reason as to the hold up?

I would imagine that SUSI has directly contributed to a number of people dropping out of university. What is also worrying many is that if an applicant is turned down for a grant/fees by SUSI they will have to leave university and all the time and expense from the start of term until now is wasted. I know myself it costs me 50 euro a week just to get to university, or 400 euro to date.

This is a lot of money for someone to have spent especially if they end up having to leave university. SUSI has a blatant disregard for the welfare of applicants and the longer they leave people without their entitlements more and more will drop out.

I would advise that you contact my colleagues on the SUSI Helpdesk and they will be able to advise you regarding your application.

You may contact the Helpdesk via phone on 0761087874 or by e-mail at support@susi.cdvec.ie

Robbie, it's an absolute disgrace people are waiting this long. I applied in July with all documentation. I received a letter in September to say I was missing a form which was delaying my application, then when I contacted SUSI the person on the phone discovered all my documentation was in fact in order. I have heard nothing since.

It is now November and I am still unable to take books from the library in university and I am in the middle of exams. SUSI could not give me any indication as to when payment may be made or a reason as to the hold up?

I would imagine that SUSI has directly contributed to a number of people dropping out of university. What is also worrying many is that if an applicant is turned down for a grant/fees by SUSI they will have to leave university and all the time and expense from the start of term until now is wasted. I know myself it costs me 50 euro a week just to get to university, or 400 euro to date.

This is a lot of money for someone to have spent especially if they end up having to leave university. SUSI has a blatant disregard for the welfare of applicants and the longer they leave people without their entitlements more and more will drop out.

I agree with what you are saying

However Robbie himself is not responsible for this mess

The minister for education and CEO of Dublin VEC are

In fairness to Robbie he is coming in here and assisting people as well. I wonder if that is his own initiative or maybe SUSIs

Terry Pratchet

This is exactly the reason we are in this situation - No one is responsible, or takes responsibility. The Minister of Education is not the one sitting in SUSI HQ presiding over applications. If SUSI have a problem with the application process, they should of been astute enough to spot it before they began accepting applicants. If you represent an organisation of any kind and I have a problem with it, I am telling you, you go tell your boss. If you don't want to deal with me complaining, get me someone who does.

If people don't complain to the staff about what their problems are, those responsible for the situation will not be bothered doing anything about it. Because the staff are the ones who won't put up with getting a hard time. You find that if staff get tired of people complaining to them all the time, things will get done. And if the staff aren't bothered passing on the complaints for something to be done about them may the angry phone calls continue.

I agree with what you are saying

However Robbie himself is not responsible for this mess

The minister for education and CEO of Dublin VEC are

In fairness to Robbie he is coming in here and assisting people as well. I wonder if that is his own initiative or maybe SUSIs

Further more Mango Salsa, all SUSI Robbie has done is give out a phone number whereby you will be told "you will just have to wait" as they will not give any idea as to your application. Mine was waiting to go to a supervisor to be looked at. I asked how long should I expect to hear back, I was told I will hear back when I hear back!

Then the email address, which you won't get a reply from. I emailed numerous times and have not got a response.

Basically Robbie isn't on here with any new information or help or answers. He posted a link to a form which was posted on here weeks ago!

Trying to help? Trying to be perceived as helping more like. Wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Mod hat

This is a preemptive, general warning guys, I know that a lot of you are very worried and frustrated about your grants, understandably so, but please don't start to attack individual posters.

Further more Mango Salsa, all SUSI Robbie has done is give out a phone number whereby you will be told "you will just have to wait" as they will not give any idea as to your application. Mine was waiting to go to a supervisor to be looked at. I asked how long should I expect to hear back, I was told I will hear back when I hear back!

Then the email address, which you won't get a reply from. I emailed numerous times and have not got a response.

Basically Robbie isn't on here with any new information or help or answers. He posted a link to a form which was posted on here weeks ago!

Trying to help? Trying to be perceived as helping more like. Wake up!

As I said I understand your frustrations and I agree with most of what you are saying. Robbie is not personally at fault. The system is at fault. It's a shambles. I get that. It's slow, frustrating, bureaucratic, impeding, personally tiring and stressing thousands of students out. I get that. I do actually understand what's going on.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I had to leave college over the whole SUSI fiasco, they were looking for yet more documents last week from me, which meant that I probably would be waiting another month if not longer for confirmation. My college had already cut my access since mid October I had no access to any labs, assignments etc.

The college would not budge over my fees which left me with no other option but to leave.

I wrote to SUSI and told them what had happened but I'd say there delighted with one less application to process.

Advertisement