Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for SUSI dilemma- what to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

PlainP wrote: »
    I had to leave college over the whole SUSI fiasco, they were looking for yet more documents last week from me, which meant that I probably would be waiting another month if not longer for confirmation. My college had already cut my access since mid October I had no access to any labs, assignments etc.

The college would not budge over my fees which left me with no other option but to leave.

I wrote to SUSI and told them what had happened but I'd say there delighted with one less application to process.

This is a desperate state of affairs. I am sorry to hear you dropped out PlainP.

I am struggling to buy materials for my course....... Its kind of embarrassing when a lot of my classmates have got everything. My tutors are understanding thank god but I would have to say that it is making my college experience much more of a challenge than it needs to be. I am falling behind because of it but I will endeavor to catch up.

It is disheartening to think that this really could have all been avoided. It really seems that the department of education has no respect for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bluesea

PlainP wrote: »
    I had to leave college over the whole SUSI fiasco, they were looking for yet more documents last week from me, which meant that I probably would be waiting another month if not longer for confirmation. My college had already cut my access since mid October I had no access to any labs, assignments etc.

The college would not budge over my fees which left me with no other option but to leave.

I wrote to SUSI and told them what had happened but I'd say there delighted with one less application to process.

This is dreadful state of affairs. If this carries on more and more students will be forced to drop out then we will see lecturers disappearing one by one as they wont have any students left to tutor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I sent back my pack with everything in it except the social welfare statement, I knew I would be waiting a while for it, so I wanted to get the application in asap. As soon as I received the statement I sent it off. Which was just about two weeks later.

I received a letter on Oct 11th telling me to send in a social welfare statement. I didn't respond as I presumed they would figure out for themselves that I had already sent it in. Two weeks later I called about the status of my application, the girl I spoke to told me a letter was sent out to me and I hadn't responded. I went through the story with her, she went off and checked and found they had received the statement.

Now this is where it gets really laughable, she insisted that I had to write back and tell them they had what they already knew they had!! She couldn't put a note on my application, nor could I email them, it had to be a written a letter!! Bad enough that I had to inform them, but we are living in a technological world and they can't receive and direct an email to the relevant department!! Their incompetence is shocking. If they were a business, you wouldn't dream of doing business with them again so how do they get away with what they are doing to people??

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

A few of my friends have been saying they're being asked for completely unnecessary forms and their application won't be assessed without them.
    I'm at the sent off Final Course Acceptance form stage now. Sent that off about a month and a half ago. Rang up about 3 weeks ago, they said it would be at least 3 weeks before they tell me whether I'm getting a grant or not. I'm not expecting anything at this stage. I am as broke as anything, college is such a worry for me as I struggle to pay everything (we're just on 1 parent allowance, nothing else) and I really am not enjoying my first year in college as I should be.
    Some demonstration or protest or something needs to be organised to stop this. I'm sure the same thing will be done next year. I wouldn't be surprised if SUSI are keeping all the money until after Christmas so they will gain millions in interest. What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thread over on the student finance forum re SUSI accountability

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056803661

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

Mature student here, what can I send in as proof of independent living, none of our utility bills are in my name and my bank statements are addressed to a different address, trying to get all my documents together. Never claimed social welfare or anything like that, any ideas?

Totalelf wrote: »
    Mature student here, what can I send in as proof of independent living, none of our utility bills are in my name and my bank statements are addressed to a different address, trying to get all my documents together. Never claimed social welfare or anything like that, any ideas?

Have you got a tenancy agreement

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Totalelf

No, own my own house, all our documents at addressed to my husbands business as all our post goes there. Would a letter from our local td suffice, do you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

AlexDublin wrote: »
    This is a desperate state of affairs. I am sorry to hear you dropped out PlainP.

I am struggling to buy materials for my course....... Its kind of embarrassing when a lot of my classmates have got everything. My tutors are understanding thank god but I would have to say that it is making my college experience much more of a challenge than it needs to be. I am falling behind because of it but I will endeavor to catch up.

It is disheartening to think that this really could have all been avoided. It really seems that the department of education has no respect for students.

+1. It's a disgrace that students are left witout essential materials for college. I've been there myself and I know it's a horrible feeling.

No, own my own house, all our documents at addressed to my husbands business as all our post goes there. Would a letter from our local td suffice, do you think.

No, not really; do you have anything? social welfare, tax, bank statements, bills?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

Remember the first year of the CAO applications ??? There was chaos as people didn't FILL in THE FORM PROPERLY. I hope people learn from their mistakes this year. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! They couldn't be plainer. People who don't fill the form in correctly are holding up those poor students who are meticulous.... Stop complaining.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

Try a copy of the deeds to your house and a letter from your Solicitor confirming that you live at that address

achmairt wrote: »
    Remember the first year of the CAO applications ??? There was chaos as people didn't FILL in THE FORM PROPERLY. I hope people learn from their mistakes this year. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!! They couldn't be plainer. People who don't fill the form in correctly are holding up those poor students who are meticulous.... Stop complaining.:mad::mad:

I would have to disagree with you that it is the applicants fault that the applications are still delayed.

I filled in my application form correctly, I sent in all documentation as required.

And I am still waiting. Eight weeks in to my course. No decision.

Its definitely not me delaying the process.....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Azures

I would have to disagree with you that it is the applicants fault that the applications are still delayed.

I filled in my application form correctly, I sent in all documentation as required.

And I am still waiting. Eight weeks in to my course. No decision.

Its definitely not me delaying the process.....

So true, we need an all- nighter outside the Dail - to wake the media up to the crisis, and shame the dept of education into action. We are nearly half way through first year, and not a cent. how many lives are they destroying? How many will have to emigrate because of this? I don't believe it is mere incompetence - I think the conspiracy theories on accrued interest have to be explored. How much is the govt saving by not even assessing people for grants, much less paying them? After this wait, having enrolled and studied hard, some of us will not even get a grant at all and will have to leave with nothing, but no one should be having to take the gamble of going to Uni without knowing on day one if they have a grant or not.
    They should open the application process for next year on January, in order to process the applications in time for September 2013.

achmairt wrote: »

Really? Not from this link..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

So i sent an email to 19 TDs on Saturday in relation to the issue, 7 of them have gotten back to me by email. They seem very personable as opposed to the generic 'we'll look in to it' response. One of the TDs Charlie McConalogue has asked if he can help me directly, quote:
    'If you wish me to contact SUSI directly and discreetly with regard to your own grant, and haven't already asked another TD to do this, just drop me an email with your reference number, address, tel number and the college which you are attending.'
    Anyone know if should pursue this or am i wasting my time?
    From their various responses, they seem to be taking this issue quite seriously.
    Cheers

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    So i sent an email to 19 TDs on Saturday in relation to the issue, 7 of them have gotten back to me by email. They seem very personable as opposed to the generic 'we'll look in to it' response. One of the TDs Charlie McConalogue has asked if he can help me directly, quote:
    'If you wish me to contact SUSI directly and discreetly with regard to your own grant, and haven't already asked another TD to do this, just drop me an email with your reference number, address, tel number and the college which you are attending.'
    Anyone know if should pursue this or am i wasting my time?
    From their various responses, they seem to be taking this issue quite seriously.
    Cheers

My impression is that SUSI may have given TDs a special hotline because it seems TDs are getting things done with SUSI. I'd go for it. Nothing to lose.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

My impression is that SUSI may have given TDs a special hotline because it seems TDs are getting things done with SUSI. I'd go for it. Nothing to lose.
    i'll do it this afternoon, thanks

I got my SUSI decision today. Accepted for 100% tuition! WOO! (I am a back to education student so i do not receive the grant).

DELIGHTED to have finally heard!!! Its been a long, stressful, arduous process and I am so glad its over.

Will we have to deal with them again next year? AAAAGGGGHHHH!

LOL!!!!!

Still emailed all the TDs and senators who are heading into the Joint Committee on Education and Social Protection meeting with SUSI tomorrow.

Everyone else who has had issues with SUSI please do so too!!

Details here:

Also please mention in your email that SUSI is not under the Ombudsman's remit at present. This needs to be changed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I got my SUSI decision today. Accepted for 100% tuition! WOO! (I am a back to education student so i do not receive the grant).

DELIGHTED to have finally heard!!! Its been a long, stressful, arduous process and I am so glad its over.

Will we have to deal with them again next year? AAAAGGGGHHHH!

LOL!!!!!

Still emailed all the TDs and senators who are heading into the Joint Committee on Education and Social Protection meeting with SUSI tomorrow.

Everyone else who has had issues with SUSI please do so too!!

Details here:

Also please mention in your email that SUSI is not under the Ombudsman's remit at present. This needs to be changed!!

Well done Alex I'm delighted for you :), lets hope SUSI will become accountable for all the hassle they have put students through.

• Advertisement

Great to hear this Alex. Hope you will now be able to settle down and enjoy your studies and not be worrying about financial issues. Best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bonbondar

ARGHHHHHH!!!
    so a letter comes from SUSI today and i thought it would be letter for yes or no. but no. its a letter looking for MORE forms. because we both worked 2 jobs last year i know have to send off more p60s. i called them to complain because it took them a month and a half to inform me of this, even though i was on the phone last week. this is a joke. they said it was at the doscretion of the acessor if they want to ask for more forms. im so annoyed. were both on social welfare and its costing me 50e per week on diesel, 15e on tolls and my parking disc cost me 80e. i also need to get books, and materials. its absolutley shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bonbondar

I know have to put in a whole new application because my circumstances changed this year with us both losing our jobs.....
    I cant cope with the stress of all this I really cant. Feel like giving up with it all. SUSI rang me while I was in the middle of an assignment. Im just stressed to the max with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Got an email looking for Final Course Acceptance Form, I sent it to them weeks ago. Feel like banging head off the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daychris76

dchris wrote: »
    Got an email looking for Final Course Acceptance Form, I sent it to them weeks ago. Feel like banging head off the wall.

Not a bit surprised. I got an email yesterday telling me my forms had been scanned and were now being assessed by a pre assessor. I wrote back explaining that I had received a call from SUSI 6 WEEKS AGO telling me that my application had been pre assessed already.

For the love of God does anyone in that 'organisation' have a clue what they are doing?

It's beyond incompetence its sheer, willful disregard for those of us waiting for outcomes to our respective applications. Furthermore, blaming students for not sending the correct information is a smoke screen designed to take attention away from this incompetence.

At this stage I can't hold out any longer. Unfortunately have decided to withdraw this Monday. Been thinking about it all weekend. Keep going as I am I will be on the street by end of the month.. I'm beat! Hope everyone gets sorted out asap. Best of luck.

daychris76 wrote: »
    Not a bit surprised. I got an email yesterday telling me my forms had been scanned and were now being assessed by a pre assessor. I wrote back explaining that I had received a call from SUSI 6 WEEKS AGO telling me that my application had been pre assessed already.

For the love of God does anyone in that 'organisation' have a clue what they are doing?

It's beyond incompetence its sheer, willful disregard for those of us waiting for outcomes to our respective applications. Furthermore, blaming students for not sending the correct information is a smoke screen designed to take attention away from this incompetence.

At this stage I can't hold out any longer. Unfortunately have decided to withdraw this Monday. Been thinking about it all weekend. Keep going as I am I will be on the street by end of the month.. I'm beat! Hope everyone gets sorted out asap. Best of luck.

Chris I would appeal to you to not drop out. I was in the position that you are in. Education is so important. have you been to see the person in your college who looks after the student assistance fund? they may be able to help you financially. They helped a few people in my year.

You could also contact Saint Vincent De Paul.

Contacting your local TDs to check on your application is another option.

I only found out a few days ago. Am so relieved. Wishing you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daychris76

If you drop out then they win. That is the underlying hope they have and the reason for the delay is to force people most in need to drop out and ultimately emigrate. Do not let them ruin your education. We WILL NOT go back to the days of only the elite few receiving education thus preventing the rest from advancement. This is yet another of their feeble attempts to create an even greater gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots'. They should hang their heads in shame.

Thanks Alex & daychris I appreciate all your comments. I have had to continuously borrow to get to this stage. My fear is that even if I do supply them with Final Course Acceptance, which I already sent weeks ago, it will take them so long to process it that it could end up being after Xmas until anything happens.

I actually cannot survive until then. I couldn't afford to attend on numerous occasions . Despite that I have gotten firsts in all my assignments this term. I can't take books from the library in university because I am not registered so I either have to spend hours in the library or try to photocopy books at 10cents a page which means the cost of 1 article could be 3-4 euro.

I probably sound very negative, but it was weeks of living like this that got me to this point. I have done everything possible over the last few weeks and have continuously been looking for p/t work .

I know you guys mean well about trying to hang on, but there comes a point, which I am at now, that there is just no money left to even hang on at a minimum. I wish they had just given me a NO in July when I applied so I would not be in so much debt now. Plus I wouldn't of spent the last few months scrimping with no heat spending shed loads on the train fares and actually of been looking for a work whilst receiving Jobseekers. It seems in Ireland the pursuit of self-betterment is a punishable offence .

• Advertisement

dchris - Please do not drop out, you have been getting first in all of your assignments despite the horrendous experiences you are going through in college and trying to deaql with this incompetent of a system called SUSI. It would be a disgrace if you were forced out especially as you have so much potential.

Contact each one of these TD'S and explain your situation as you have done here, these are the public representatives who attended the committee meeting with SUSI last week. They will help you. In the meantime contact your local SVDP to give you some monatory help towards food, rent and travel,it will be only for a short while until you get this grant sorted.
    James.Bannon@oir.ie, Ray.Butler@oir.ie, Joan.Collins@oir.ie, Clare.Daly@oir.ie, Brendan.Griffin@oir.ie, Simon.harris@oir.ie, Derek.Keating@oir.ie, Charlie.McConalogue@oir.ie, Nicky.McFadden@oir.ie, Jonathan.OBrien@oir.ie, Willie.ODea@oir.ie, Aodhan.oriordain@oir.ie, Aengus.osnodaigh@oir.ie, Brendan.Ryan@oir.ie, joanna.tuffy@oir.ie, Jim.darcy@oir.ie, fidelma.healy.eames@oir.ie, marie.moloney@oir.ie, marielouise.odonnell@oir.ie, averil.power@oir.ie, diarmuid.wilson@oir.ie

The very best fo luck to you.

Advertisement