Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for SUSI dilemma- what to do?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

dchris wrote: »
    At this stage I can't hold out any longer. Unfortunately have decided to withdraw this Monday. Been thinking about it all weekend. Keep going as I am I will be on the street by end of the month.. I'm beat! Hope everyone gets sorted out asap. Best of luck.

Hope you get sorted Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I second what bluesea is saying. Dchris contact your local svp and see if they can help you.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

you can find the details of your local SVP here

http://svp.ie/Contact-Us.aspx

best of luck. hold on in there. you can do it, especially considering how well you have already done.

email those tds!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

Trying to get through to SUSI on the phone on all morning. They haven't replied to any of my emails. Does anyone know where their offices are? I am going to go in in person

Got through after being on hold for the 3rd time at a duration of 25 mins a time!

They said the email they sent me with regards the final course acceptance form was an automated one that everyone got. Probably explains why their phones are jammed?? Who are these brain boxes sending out automated emails requesting forms that they already have? Do they not realise the consequences of emailing thousands of people with erroneous information?

The girl on the phone said I am at the final stage now and should receive a letter 'soon' and I don't need any more forms. ( Which is what they said back in September before they sent me and email, text and letter looking for final course acceptance (for the first time)- at that time they also requested other specific documentation which after I rang them and told them I had submitted them already, they discovered I was correct.

So to surmise, SUSI received my application in July. They emailed me in September looking for forms which were already submitted and they had on file. They emailed me again looking for more forms in October, which they again had. Then they looked for Final Course Acceptance , which I promptly submitted the next day. Then they email me in November looking for the same form. The problem in SUSI is not a staffing problem, it's incompetent management & poor planning. I would love to see the CV of the person responsible for SUSI or perhaps a birth certificate to see who in the know they are related to

Thanks for all the encouraging comments I have decided to take a friend up on an offer and move their house and commute from their for a while until I get grant sorted out. Which means I will not have rent to worry about this month at least and can pay them back in time.

I have also got back in touch with my TD and explained how worse the situation has become , so hopefully they might be able to speed up the situation and I might hear something before Xmas. Thanks again for the encouragement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Bigman92

Do you need to recieve the letter stating how much your receiveing to obtain the grant. Because they said the letter should be here at the end of the month!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 annadaly

Is anyone else experiencing trouble getting through on the SUSI helpline. When I call 0761 087874 my phone cuts out ??

thats great. keep going robbie :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

They are an absolute shower of C**Ts.
    I have lost the will to go in to Uni.
    I feel like i am wasting my time because I wont be able to pay the contribution.
    All the bus fares / Coffees / Lunch / books / calculators / lab coats etc...

It all adds up.

antkeane wrote: »
    I feel like i am wasting my time because I wont be able to pay the contribution.

It all adds up.

keep going man. i was waiting until last week. look forward and stay strong.

Alex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

antkeane wrote: »

It all adds up.

I honestly feel the same. I have no interest in going to college. SUSI is taking up my whole life at this stage. I have assignments to be doing but I'm chasing emails and trying to phone SUSI to no avail. I would be better off on the dole at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

annadaly wrote: »
    Is anyone else experiencing trouble getting through on the SUSI helpline. When I call 0761 087874 my phone cuts out ??

I gave it three goes, before i got a dial tone, seems to be mental busy. on hold now for the last 5mins. the extra staff that thay said they were getting seem to have made things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

after 20 mins the phone was anwered, I heard someone in say 'hello'.....'hello' and then they put down the phone. god damn it this is soooo frustrating. I have to go to class now, otherwise i'd keep ringing. :mad:

I honestly feel the same. I have no interest in going to college. SUSI is taking up my whole life at this stage. I have assignments to be doing but I'm chasing emails and trying to phone SUSI to no avail. I would be better off on the dole at this stage.

I found that it worked to try and not think about susi at all. Obviously i did think about the situation still. But the less i did, the better i felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bluesea

scoob70 wrote: »

But he told Fianna Fail's education spokesman, Charlie
    McConalogue that some students may not receive their grant until January. This
    was due to bank detail requirements and verification of attendance together
    with banking restrictions over the holiday period

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joanne27

I can't even get through I have requested a call back still haven heard back I'm emailing every day and still nothing I really need my materials for college!! Does anyone know who else might help?

For students who drop out as result of delayed payment, I'd imagine they'd have grounds to legally seek compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Is it the Maintenance Grant or the Fee Grant that is being delayed in payment? Or is it both of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭bluesea

dchris wrote: »
    For students who drop out as result of delayed payment, I'd imagine they'd have grounds to legally seek compensation.

Good point, I would imagine that they would have a good case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Joanne27 wrote: »
    I can't even get through I have requested a call back still haven heard back I'm emailing every day and still nothing I really need my materials for college!! Does anyone know who else might help?

They are answering queries on facebook and and twitter

https://www.facebook.com/susisupport

https://twitter.com/Susihelpdesk

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rugbydude

Can we sue the state for their ineptitude in employing SUSI, or for that matter can we sue SUSI?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

rugbydude wrote: »
    Can we sue the state for their ineptitude in employing SUSI, or for that matter can we sue SUSI?

The ineptitude of some of those applying should be taken into consideration also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 rugbydude

Some, yes indeed!!!

panama wrote: »
    The ineptitude of some of those applying should be taken into consideration also.

pfft

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jackt85

Now they talk about students not filling out forms correctly , they have just showed me how stupid these people working there really are. Sent numerous e mails to them clearly stating my SUSI application number not only in the subject line but also at the start of my e mail. I got a e mail back asking me for my SUSI application number it begins with W, what a absolute bunch of idiots, applied nearly 6 months ago , they need to all be fired.

jackt85 wrote: »
    Now they talk about students not filling out forms correctly , they have just showed me how stupid these people working there really are. Sent numerous e mails to them clearly stating my SUSI application number not only in the subject line but also at the start of my e mail. I got a e mail back asking me for my SUSI application number it begins with W, what a absolute bunch of idiots, applied nearly 6 months ago , they need to all be fired.

Yes I got asked for my final course acceptance form the other day for the third time. When I ring them they say they have it. Got a text on the 26th of November asking me to check my emails on how to fill the form out, never got any email! They are a joke. I think they are making random requests of people in order to buy time so they can say they are waiting for documentation from people when in fact they have everything. I think they have contacted me on 9 occasions now looking for documentation that on further investigation they already had. That is quality of staff issue, not quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jackt85

All this documentation crap, I had a grant for last 3 years of my undergrad which was done by the county council, had it sorted within a month of applying , you sent your documents in and that was that, this crowd don t have a clue what they are doing , they can t find this and that , its just a joke , they should be all fired and the job given to a proper company or back to the councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joanne27

I'm sick of it now at this stage there not even to my emails :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 sh7289

I received the grant at undergraduate level and applied for the postgraduate grant this year. I received an email about 2 months ago saying I had been provisionally awarded the grant, all they needed was my course acceptance form to be returned. About a month later I received a letter saying I had been refused the grant based on income limits. I replied appealing as to why I was provisionally awarded the grant in the first place and they avoided answering that in their response. What is going on over there at SUSI?

Advertisement