Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for SUSI dilemma- what to do?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

sh7289 wrote: »
    I received the grant at undergraduate level and applied for the postgraduate grant this year. I received an email about 2 months ago saying I had been provisionally awarded the grant, all they needed was my course acceptance form to be returned. About a month later I received a letter saying I had been refused the grant based on income limits. I replied appealing as to why I was provisionally awarded the grant in the first place and they avoided answering that in their response. What is going on over there at SUSI?

Well the income limit for postgrads is about 20,000 less than the limit for undergrads, so if it was refused when the course acceptance got in, it sorta sounds like up until then you were being considered as an undergrad applicant?

That raises its own questions, but it seems likely that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

Got a letter from SUSI today. Got my grant.
    Its 3 months too late. I have missed so much by not having the heart to go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

I got a call from SUSI today looking for my final course acceptance form. I went through the roof! They have contacted on 5 occasions now looking for the same form, I have sent it in twice, I rang them every time when they looked for it and they tell me they actually have it. Spoke to a SUSI supervisor today who was looking for the form, and he also discovered that they have it on file. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I got another letter today from SUSI, looking for not one, but two social welfare statements!!! (Bearing in mind I got a letter in Oct looking for a statement, which after a phone call they learned they had it, yet I had to write them a letter to tell them that. :confused:)
    First one, is a statement from SW stating all payments issued from Jan 1st to Dec 31st 2011. Second is statement detailing income from BTEA in 2011. Apparently the one that I provided, only showed income from OPF.
    They also want evidence of maintenance payments. Why the heck can these idiots not get all their ducks in a row at the start and ask for everything. It's ridiculous that we are almost finished our first semester and they are still looking for information :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 kaflin

antkeane wrote: »
    Got a letter from SUSI today. Got my grant.
    Its 3 months too late. I have missed so much by not having the heart to go in.

Ironically, if you've missed too many dates then you won't get maintenance because of your attendance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭antkeane

kaflin wrote: »
    Ironically, if you've missed too many dates then you won't get maintenance because of your attendance.

which is hilarious. im going to see my counselor about depression. this has killed me. i wont be able to redo the year because I wont be able to afford the fees. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

Eircom bill today, an extra €7.50 in VOIP charges, most of that for being on hold. Still no joy from this crowd who are waaayyy over their heads in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭dchris

donalfo wrote: »
    Eircom bill today, an extra €7.50 in VOIP charges, most of that for being on hold. Still no joy from this crowd who are waaayyy over their heads in this.

I have spent a fortune on calls too! At least 5 phone calls lasting over 30 minutes. All of the calls were about them looking for documents they already had, and each time I got through I was told everything was fine! I only have a mobile and on one occasion my credit ran out while on hold and couldn't call back for two days as i had no money.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭donalfo

I've been using my house phone, thinking it would be free as part of my bundle but they use a system that is outside of this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

so i got my letter on monday, full fees and 900 blips, happy out.... The facebook page is good for responses times... I also applied when susi opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

YIPPEEEEE I got confirmation I got the grant today (fee's only as on BTEA) so after 23 weeks, being refused, appealing and them losing my documents I finally have it.... YIPPEE

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭david65

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    YIPPEEEEE I got confirmation I got the grant today (fee's only as on BTEA) so after 23 weeks, being refused, appealing and them losing my documents I finally have it.... YIPPEE

Congrats, all sorted now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DarkPheonix

Oh God I am at my wit's end dealing with them. Countless times they looked for documents I've already sent in only to ring them up and they say that they do have them. I applied before the closing date in August and they're still sending me out letters looking for documents they have. It is incredibly frustrating. I am in my final year in college and so can't afford to work much due to the college work load. I'm am strapped for cash at the minute and couldn't even apply for the Student Assistant Fund as I didn't have grant confirmation from SUSI. The most stressful part is trying to deal with them over the phone. I am extremely stressed over money this year and this is adding to it 10flold. I highly recommend anyone who has had the misfortune of having to deal with the incompetence of SUSI as I have,to contact your local T.D's, the Minister for Education, your student union and the U.S.I. I have gotten more help from these people than SUSI. Well, the Minister didn't help at all, his office seems to be washing their hands of the problem. Email the rest with details of your dealings with them and they might be able to answer your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

Oh God I am at my wit's end dealing with them. Countless times they looked for documents I've already sent in only to ring them up and they say that they do have them. I applied before the closing date in August and they're still sending me out letters looking for documents they have. It is incredibly frustrating. I am in my final year in college and so can't afford to work much due to the college work load. I'm am strapped for cash at the minute and couldn't even apply for the Student Assistant Fund as I didn't have grant confirmation from SUSI. The most stressful part is trying to deal with them over the phone. I am extremely stressed over money this year and this is adding to it 10flold. I highly recommend anyone who has had the misfortune of having to deal with the incompetence of SUSI as I have,to contact your local T.D's, the Minister for Education, your student union and the U.S.I. I have gotten more help from these people than SUSI. Well, the Minister didn't help at all, his office seems to be washing their hands of the problem. Email the rest with details of your dealings with them and they might be able to answer your questions.

Hang in there you'll get there in the end, just keep at them

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

Hi guys,

Just wondering does any1 know anything about the book allowance and how u get it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

sue z wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just wondering does any1 know anything about the book allowance and how u get it? :)

Book allowance is in the Back to Education not SUSI, but I'm not sure if it is being continued. Think the recent budget killed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daychris76

The Cost of education allowance is issued to those on social welfare payments i.e. BTEA, by your local SW office. This should have been paid to you at the start of the academic year. The rate for 2012 was €300.
    From 2013 this has been discontinued in order to fund the %anking bankers.
    Hope this answers your question sue z.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

daychris76 wrote: »
    The Cost of education allowance is issued to those on social welfare payments i.e. BTEA, by your local SW office. This should have been paid to you at the start of the academic year. The rate for 2012 was €300.
    From 2013 this has been discontinued in order to fund the %anking bankers.
    Hope this answers your question sue z.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

If you have been approved for the SUSI fee grant, is this only for first year and do you have to apply again in subsequent years. or does the approval last for the length of the course (3 years)?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

chughes wrote: »
    If you have been approved for the SUSI fee grant, is this only for first year and do you have to apply again in subsequent years. or does the approval last for the length of the course (3 years)?

You are reassessed each year

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I have been awarded 50% Student Contribution

but €0.00 Maintenance Grant

Does this mean SUSI will only pay half my college fees for the year?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    I have been awarded 50% Student Contribution

but €0.00 Maintenance Grant

Does this mean SUSI will only pay half my college fees for the year?

Thanks

Yes
    SUSI pay 50% of the student contribution fee

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Yes
    SUSI pay 50% of the student contribution fee

Thanks, i'll be appealing their decision, hopefully won't take another 5 months :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bryan06c

Hey, anyone here been paid on a friday that banks with AIB?

Advertisement