Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Week Old Kitten Not Weaned

• 13-09-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

Should I be worried that the kitten from a young female (now spayed) on her first litter hasn't been weaned yet? She doesn't seem to be discouraging him at all. He is eating solid food without a problem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wouldnt be overly concerned, usually mammy would kick them off as they are tiring her out but as she only has the one baby and is probably producing enough milk for 6 shes probably okay with having a source for draining it. Is there any way you can keep them seperated for a few days? Could give mammy the chance to remember its nice to not have a kitten hanging from her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It's just a comfort thing. She will tell him to feck off when she's sick of it. One of my cats when he was a kitten would suckle on one of my neuter boys! He is now 3 and still attempts it every now and again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Yeah I imagined it was comfort rather than hunger. I don't really have the facility to keep them apart for a few days. I'll just have to see if he grows out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

This is nature at Her best...animals don't always have this "gotta stop this leech" social belief to stop feeding their young. In fact, there are many examples of mothers feeding their children loooong after the child has moved onto solids. Humans are really one of (or maybe the only?) animals who generally wean their young at such young stages. It's natural, let it be; when they both are done then they'll stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ayla wrote: »
    This is nature at Her best...animals don't always have this "gotta stop this leech" social belief to stop feeding their young. In fact, there are many examples of mothers feeding their children loooong after the child has moved onto solids. Humans are really one of (or maybe the only?) animals who generally wean their young at such young stages. It's natural, let it be; when they both are done then they'll stop.

True. Some culture breastfeed for up to three years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

my stray momma cat let her kittens feed until around 20 weeks, and she's still a devoted mother to them as adults.

Advertisement