Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will you buy the iPhone 5?

• 13-09-2012 2:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

This is for those who will buy the new iPhone 5, I don't want to hear the arguments against the phone or otherwise.

In March 2011 I got the iPhone 4 with Three on a 24 month contract @ €40/30 days and paid €179 for the iPhone 4 16GB and it was selling for €579 from apple at the time. I subsequently switched to Three from Meteor where I was on a €20/month contract, I had to pay Meteor €85 to leave my contract early as I had 4 months of an 18month contract left when I switched to Three. Meteor at the time were not offering the iPhone at all.

After 3 or 4 months I had massive problems with Three and subsequently sued them in the small claims court and won my case. I left Three this year after 16 months into my 24month contract. I was refunded the purchase price of the phone and given compensation also as per the settlement see here.

Over the duration of my 16months with Three I spent €619.30 on my phone bill or roughly €40/30days, prior to joining Three my bill with Meteor was almost always €20/month, excluding roaming etc.

I also had phone insurance costing €8.99 a month whilst with Three which cost me €116.87 over the 16months @ €8.99/month with the first 3 months free.

I must also factor in Meteor's early contract termination fee of €85.

So I could say I paid €405 extra for being with Three rather than my previous contract with Meteor. When I left Three I was allowed keep the phone and am now back with Meteor again on a more sensible €20/month 200mins, 200texts, 1GB data 30day plan, compliments of the bargain alerts forum here.

I can now say that "buying" the iPhone 4 through Three cost me an extra €500 compared to had I just remained on my old phone and Meteor contract.

Had I stuck with Three for the full duration of my contract and not sued them I'd have paid €973.20 + €188.79 in phone insurance + the €179 for the iPhone 4 itself totaling a grand total of €1340.99 or ~ €56/month.

Had I bought the iPhone outright for €579 and remained on my contract of €20/month I'd have paid €1,059 in the same time period .

Essentially I think that unless you have a big phone bill of greater than €40 - €50/month then buying the phone yourself is the best idea, it also gives you the advantages of being sim-free and for someone like me who travels quite a bit this is very important to use local sim cards to avoid ripoff roaming.

How will you buy the iPhone 5? 100 votes

Buy it direct unlocked from Apple / other
    0% 0 votes
    Move to a more expensive contract to avoid the high cost of the iPhone 5
    61% 61 votes
    Get it on contract, my bill is high enough already to warrant it
    7% 7 votes
    Buy it slightly cheaper than Apple on PAYG but simlocked
    32% 32 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭soccerbreaker

Pre-order on apple.....

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

upgrade due on my blackberry in novemberas contract ends then,so il move to the new iphone 5.

iv heard one or two people suggest the iphone 5 will be only available on a 24 month contract?surely this cant be true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,173 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I still have over a year on my Meteor contract left but am having slight issues with them (due to extremely poor reception where I live which they're currently looking into for me to see if it can be improved), so I think I'll buy unlocked direct from Apple just in case I end up switching networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Adverts.ie Always buy someone's unwanted upgrade. Sold my 3gs for 280 bought sealed 4 off a member for 330, a year later sold that on in December last for 320, bought a sealed 4s for 410. New upgrades usually hover around 450 give or take. So if I get around 350+ for my 4s I should be able to get the 5 for an extra 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

naasrd wrote: »
    Adverts.ie Always buy someone's unwanted upgrade. Sold my 3gs for 280 bought sealed 4 off a member for 330, a year later sold that on in December last for 320, bought a sealed 4s for 410. New upgrades usually hover around 450 give or take. So if I get around 350+ for my 4s I should be able to get the 5 for an extra 100.

I find it very hard to believe you'll get a sealed iPhone 5 for around €450.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'll buy direct from apple.

Sold my 4 this week.
    upgraded to an S3. Sold it then this week too.

Cash earned buys new phone from apple direct. I do the same every 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

kceire wrote: »
    Sold my 4 this week.

Out of interest, how much did you get for it?

maximoose wrote: »
    Out of interest, how much did you get for it?

€350
    32gb black
    99.99% excellent condition. Factory unlocked, bought from Apple store belfast on lauch day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Thinly-veiled rant of the OP aside, he has a point and I've been considering the same recently.

Luckily, I've had a better relationship with Three and my bill hovers around or above the €40 mark so I'm still deliberating what to do if and when I decide to buy the '5'.

I like to have a fair bit of storage in the phone and don't think I can drop €700-800 in one go, considering I may need a laptop upgrade in the near-future.

Having said that, I don't really wanna commit to a 2-year contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

€350
    32gb black
    99.99% excellent condition. Factory unlocked, bought from Apple store belfast on lauch day.

Did you sell it online?? I'll be sellin my white 4 as well, then moving on to 5 from the apple website.

• Advertisement

Connorzee wrote: »
    Did you sell it online?? I'll be sellin my white 4 as well, then moving on to 5 from the apple website.

yep, adverts and another car forum. no good offers on adverts though. sold it to a fellow member on the car forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

the option

- use contract upgrade and offset by selling previous model

is missing

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all, I want to buy it but want to stay on my current contract so will get it without using my upgrade. How do I use my current sim since the iPhone 5 uses a microsim?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all, I want to buy it but want to stay on my current contract so will get it without using my upgrade. How do I use my current sim since the iPhone 5 uses a microsim?

when the nano sims are available, you get a blank one. call your customer care and do a sim swap. simples.

maximoose wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe you'll get a sealed iPhone 5 for around €450.

I got a sealed 16g 4s for 410, bet you'd have found that hard to believe at the time, 'cause I certainly did. Anyways, let's wait and see, that's the joy of adverts.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Hi, I suppose this is the right place to ask.

I am currently on PAYG with Vodaphone on an old Nokia. I usually spend 20€ a month, but don't use it abroad and never used the ridiculous Internet facility.
    I need to get access to the Internet while on the go, and have decided to get a Iphone 4S after advice etc.

I will use the Internet regularly during the day. Also I would like to be able to use my phone in France when I'm there for a few weeks a year.

Is it better for me to stick to PAYG, and will I be able to do what I want without using up all my credit quickly, or should I go on a plan? I can buy the 4S for 600€ I think :eek:!

Vodaphone offer the Iphone 4S at 169€ with 55€ per month with the plan that would suit me I think (unlimited texts, 100 mns International, and Insurance).

As I've never used the Internet on my old phone, I have no clue how much credit I would use up in a month...

Also, if another provider is cheaper, do I need to change my number to change provider?

You can see I'm clueless... Please give advice!!;)
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Hi guys

Thinking of preordering from apple uk tomorrow maybe but still undecided. Does anyone know if this crowd. Www.deliverme.ie are reliable ?

speeding wrote: »
    Hi guys

Thinking of preordering from apple uk tomorrow maybe but still undecided. Does anyone know if this crowd. Www.deliverme.ie are reliable ?

just posting once will usually get a reply. no need to post the same question across multiple threads :p

Anyway, see my reply in the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Where is the option for 'in about ten years when the Iphone 15 comes out and I will pick it up for feck all'

patmac wrote: »
    Where is the option for 'in about ten years when the Iphone 15 comes out and I will pick it up for feck all'

By then, all children born will be implanted with a chip. Your parents will decide if you go iOS or Android.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

155 euro over in the US and 655 euro here:D

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1587285/16gb_iphone_5_price_confirmed_at_529_and_no_thats_not_a_joke.html

I do love smarthphones, but that is a ****ing joke.

Think I will buy a Huwaei G300 for 100 euro and put an apple sticker on it, does 90% of the things an iphone can do anyway.

Interestingly could you buy the iphone 5 from the states in bulk on holiday over here and use/sell them here?

Make a killing.

Edit : It's a contract, disregard my whole post :(

I am currently on PAYG with Vodaphone on an old Nokia. I usually spend 20€ a month, but don't use it abroad and never used the ridiculous Internet facility.
    I need to get access to the Internet while on the go, and have decided to get a Iphone 4S after advice etc.

I will use the Internet regularly during the day. Also I would like to be able to use my phone in France when I'm there for a few weeks a year.

Is it better for me to stick to PAYG, and will I be able to do what I want without using up all my credit quickly, or should I go on a plan? I can buy the 4S for 600€ I think :eek:!

Vodaphone offer the Iphone 4S at 169€ with 55€ per month with the plan that would suit me I think (unlimited texts, 100 mns International, and Insurance).

As I've never used the Internet on my old phone, I have no clue how much credit I would use up in a month...

Also, if another provider is cheaper, do I need to change my number to change provider?

Thanks in advance.

Just shop around, you can keep your number. There are some great PAYG offers, all you can eat data, free texts etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Thanks in advance.

I would advise you to buy the phone unlocked direct from Apple if you plan to use it abroad as Data roaming costs are atrocious, and with an unlocked phone you could get a local sim card in France for example use that instead as the sort of data charges you'd be charged whilst roaming is phenomenal, think hundreds of euro.

As you currently spend €20 a month then consider a short 30 day contract for voice, data and text for use in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

How does:
    I usually spend 20€ a month, but don't use it abroad and never used the ridiculous Internet facility

Equate to..
    Vodaphone offer the Iphone 4S at 169€ with 55€ per month with the plan that would suit me I think (unlimited texts, 100 mns International, and Insurance)

?

There's a lot of debate about buying SIM free, or not, and the plans that would suit people best

Where you're paying more on Bill than you would on PAYG, you're essentially wasting money as you should always go for the plan that matches your spend/usage.

Believe it or not, with the amount you spend, you're better off buying SIM free and staying PAYG or going on a €20 30-day rolling contract. With many providers, you can then add unlimited texts, evening calls, international calls add-ons for an extra €4-5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Thanks for the replies...
    Yes, obviously it seems SIM free with PAYG would be better for me, but my usage is going to change, since I will use it for Internet. Does that not use up credit very fast?
    I don't know what those 30 days contract are, I'll investigate that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Will buy unlocked in US from apple - should be out by end of November when i'm there. Just deciding which GSM version to get...

I see there is a financing option on Apple UK store pre-order. Does anybody have any information on this option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I'll buy direct from apple.

Sold my 4 this week.
    upgraded to an S3. Sold it then this week too.

Cash earned buys new phone from apple direct. I do the same every 2 years.

same as...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭JKGT

Anyone know when the .ie store is taking pre orders????

• Advertisement

JKGT wrote: »
    Anyone know when the .ie store is taking pre orders????

Nothing official yet, but going by the way they done tier 1 countries, we may be able to pre-order next friday 21st for delivery in and around 28th (Launch day here)

Advertisement