Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to astronomy now feel disheartened

Options
  • 13-09-2012 6:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I bought a telescope from astronomy ireland but i cant really
    work it the lads in the shop told me to go to the website
    IFAS and join they said their are many guys their who can
    help you that know a lot but that was a moth ago now every
    time i try to join IFAS i get back a email said you were rejected
    so i said maybe its my email so i tried my back email the very
    same thing Your registration at Irish Federation of Astronomical
    Societies has been rejected for the following reason :mad: what
    reason im now thinking they just dont like women in the club
    its made me so angry its hard to believe in 2012 this type of
    thing still happens in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

hi,

I'm very surprised if IFAS rejected a join request.

What e-mail address did you use?

There have been a number of attempts by the same person recently to join the IFAS forum under different e-mail addresses and maybe your one was accidentally mistaken for this individual who, unfortunately, made some pretty disgraceful comments about highly respected people within the Irish astronomy community.

Please try contact the IFAS moderators there again if there is a problem.

All the best,

John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hi msarklow, welcome to the forum.
    I joined this and the IFAS forum about two years ago as a complete newbie, but with a life long interest in all things astro and have found all the members on both forums without exception to be very friendly and only too willing to share their knowledge.

What type of scope did you buy? I have a Celestron myself, also bought from AI and use it every chance I get :) . Post up the difficulties you are experiencing with your scope and you will be amazed at the really useful advice you'll receive from the members here and the IFAS forum, I know I was when I got mine first.

Deirdre Kelleghan, Vice Chair of IFAS is organising an event to conincide with International Observe the Moon Night, in Bray, Co.Wicklow, on Sept 22nd. http://www.irishastronomy.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=11&id=94767&Itemid=40 . Deirdre is a tireless volunteer worker, who is constantly promoting this most wonderful of hobbies with events such as this. Do your best to get to Bray on the night.

You will find that the biggest obstacle in Irish Astronomy is nothing more than our wonderful weather :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

msarklow wrote: »
    I bought a telescope from astronomy ireland but i cant really
    work it the lads in the shop told me to go to the website
    IFAS and join they said their are many guys their who can
    help you that know a lot but that was a moth ago now every
    time i try to join IFAS i get back a email said you were rejected
    so i said maybe its my email so i tried my back email the very
    same thing Your registration at Irish Federation of Astronomical
    Societies has been rejected for the following reason :mad: what
    reason im now thinking they just dont like women in the club
    its made me so angry its hard to believe in 2012 this type of
    thing still happens in Ireland.

Well they gave you good advice in joining IFAS, don't know why your having problems joining, hope you get it sorted out, but this boards group will gladly help and prob more active than the IFAS forum.

What kind of help do you need, setting up the scope, or observation tips ?
    btw welcome to the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 msarklow

well john i dont really want to get involved in problems
    or fighting but i tried to join three time and i got rejected
    three times and i can assure you im not him :D i have
    just given up now i have a CG-5 and 8 inch SCT i cant
    align it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Your registration at Irish Federation of Astronomical Societies has been rejected for the following reason

And what is the reason on the email?

• Advertisement

i have a CG-5 and 8 inch SCT i cant
    align it.

Hi msarklow, nice mount and scope, give us some details on the procedure you are using to align the scope and the difficulties you encounter.

The 2-Star alignment method is especially useful and I use it for my CPC 9.25 most times

And what is the reason on the email?

no reason just rejected its crazy i dont know how they
    can think im some guy

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Hi msarklow, nice mount and scope, give us some details on the procedure you are using to align the scope and the difficulties you encounter.

The 2-Star alignment method is especially useful and I use it for my CPC 9.25 most times

i do the solar system alignment ok but the two star is too hard.

i do the solar system alignment ok but the two star is too hard.

Hi msarklow if you can successfully achieve solar system alignment stick with it until you get more experienced. This method of alignment will allow you to use the "Tour" function, which is a great way of viewing selected deep space objects which are on the hand held control data base.

What exactly are the difficulties you are experiencing, I know that the Celestron manual is not the most user-friendly thing in the world and needs serious up dating. But I know from experience that the more familiar you become with your scope the easier all of this will happen for you.

Go along to any of the events mentioned here, get there early to introduce yourself and enjoy the evening.

well john i dont really want to get involved in problems
    or fighting but i tried to join three time and i got rejected
    three times and i can assure you im not him biggrin.png i have
    just given up now i have a CG-5 and 8 inch SCT i cant
    align it.

No problem on that. What you could do is come along to the IAS/SDAS sidewalk astronomy event on September 21st from 8pm to 10pm at Sandymount Tower. A few people will have telescopes there to show passing people the sky. They'll also be able to help out with any issues you might be having with the alignment.

Unfortunately I'll have to plead being unable to offer any telescope advice as I don't own one except an Orion 80mm Short Tube refractor on a standard camera tripod! I do have a long-term loan of a 8.75-inch DTG Dobsonian but need to get the primary mirror cleaned up first. Over the years my interest in the hobby has mainly been binocular observing and outreach work.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Fooling no one Gliese. Internet connection IP address likely banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nectzrine_63

Hello Msarklow, I just wanted to let you know that your problem has been noted by IFAS and passed to the committee (I'm on the IFAS committee and I can assure you that women are always welcome so that is definately not the problem!). I've just registered on the IFAS boards to see if I have any problems in registering so will get back to you. I don't know if you can send private messages on these boards as I only just joined but if you can pm me with your contact phone number, me or one of the other committee members will call you to find out exactly what the problem is.
    IFAS is dedicated to promoting amateur astronomy in Ireland and no one should be rejected from joining the boards unless there is a very strong reason. We will get this sorted and in the meanwhile, I hope you get to go to one of the above events and get your scope colimated!
    Best Regards & clear skies,
    Bernie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Calibos wrote: »
    Fooling no one Gliese. Internet connection IP address likely banned.

I thought this too! :pac: , but sure who knows.

@msarklow, you should get the advice you need on here, its a great forum. :) Dont get disheartened, as you have a great setup there, that should perform well!

And IFAS no doubt will sort the email registration issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

There is a really good introductory astronomy book called "The Practical Astronomer" by Will Gater and Anton Vamplew.

I'd recommend that book for any beginner. Has really good information and diagrams to show you how to align your telescope and it has brilliant sky maps and info.

Personally I havent aligned my telescope since buying my telescope which is on an equatorial mount. I just kind of learned the night sky basics and with a decent book, you should be able to locate anything using the constellations.
    Its not perfect but it works for me and my limited power telescope.

hi everyone,

the book that should be on everyone's shelf is "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" by Alan Dyer and Terence Dickinson.

The supporting web site is http://www.backyardastronomy.com/Backyard_Astronomy/Backyard_Astronomers_Guide.html and has regular updates to chapters in the book. You'll get the 3rd edition cheap on Amazon.

Basically, the book tells you everything you need to know about telescopes, filters, mounts, eyepieces, aligning, astrophotography, and much more. It has sold a couple of hundred thousand copies and is in full colour -- what makes it specially appealing is that almost ALL of the photographs have been taken by amateur astronomers, highlighting what is possible with various pieces of equipment.

I recommend this book (and Turn Left at Orion) to everyone I meet through my many astronomy outreach activities.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HERRHOGAN

lord help us nothing has changed since four years all the
    backstabbing and fighting in irish astronomy its like the
    godfather :D thats why i dont go to any of these meet ups
    anymore little gangs have sprong up.

let me tell you msarklow your not missing anything with
    IFAS the forum gets one post a week if your lucky i stick
    to myself because iv learned it all myself its been four years
    since i last went to any meet up still the same problems today
    as their was then AI is still a money making machine :pac:
    gobbling down 50 euro a show ah look i just dont care theirs
    a lot of good people in irish astronomy i have never went
    to SDAS so i cant tell you youll learn yourself dont let them
    get you down.

Now where have I seen that style of posting before.......

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭dmcdona

i can assure you im not him :D

How did you know the person was a male? Prior to this quote from your post, no-one in this thread mentioned the gender of the person in question...

IFAS moderators have been scrutinising requests to join the IFAS boards following serious incidents that were reported to the authorities who are currently investigating the matter.

If anyone has been rejected, it is only based on reliable evidence, reviewed by more than one moderator that those requests are from the person referred to.

If you have been mistakenly rejected by IFAS moderators, I apologise on IFAS behalf. However, you have been rejected three times. That is highly unlikely to be a mistake.

But please do feel free to attempt to join again - if you are rejected, we will ensure a reason is given or we will request you provide more evidence as to your bone fides.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭dmcdona

The similarity between the writing styles of HERRHOGAN and msarklow is indeed uncanny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

:D ...Nice detective work there lads!

Msarklow aka HerrHogan even tried to delete but there's a copy in another post.

MOD NOTE:
    Please see the Forum Charter
    Redshift wrote:
    2. Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 HERRHOGAN

dmcdona wrote: »
    The similarity between the writing styles of HERRHOGAN and msarklow is indeed uncanny.

this was just what i was talking about with weirdos thinking
    im some other guy that they dont like then they think some
    girl from wicklow is the same guy too you are a bunch of sad

MOD NOTE:
    Please see the Forum Charter

Redshift wrote:
    2. Please refrain from direct personal attacks on any person whether they are members of boards.ie or not.

I haven't been on the IFAS forum for a good while but as soon as I read the post by msarklow it sounded to me like an IP address siteban was the issue. Not being on the forum for a while I didn't read about anyone getting banned over there but straight away I said to myself that the most likely candidate for an IFAS siteban would have been a user called Gliese 581G. A check on IFAS confirms this. The writing style confirmed my suspicions that MsArklow and Gliese 581G were one and the same. The writing style of the other new poster in this thread HerrHogan also looks like Gliese.

Suspicions well and truly confirmed when he (HerrHogan) posted the 'Show us your Equipment' thread on boards and posted pics of his APO's. I recognised the pics and sure enough Banned IFAS user Gliese 581G has a link in his sig to his flickr photo album called.......HerrHogan :D Exact same pics.

So not only has his reregs on IFAS got himself an IP address siteban there but he now has 3 account reregs on boards too!! :D ie. msarklow, Herrhogan and Spacejockey

Naughty Boy! ;)

This thread has all the elements for a best selling novel about a serial amateur astronomer on the run from the astronomy police who constantly route him out :D

Justin1982 wrote: »
    This thread has all the elements for a best selling novel about a serial amateur astronomer on the run from the astronomy police who constantly route him out :D

Thanks :rolleyes: Now I'll be humming the A-Team theme tune all night :rolleyes:

BTW its not the Astronomy Police after him but the Alphabet Police.

For crimes against punctuation....

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

Nice work Calibos!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

You got my IP geek going by using route instead of root

You got my IP geek going by using route instead of root
    Yes my spelling is fairly dodgey and I have a habit of pushing the grammer nazi's buttons. I think I learned from an old maths lecturer, who couldnt spell, that spelling doesnt really matter in the end, as long as they know what you are talking about :P

Advertisement