Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas running group

Options
  • 13-09-2012 8:28am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭

I joined a running group on Tuesday. Up across from the vista clinic. It meets Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7. I paid 80 for 10 weeks, but you can pay 5 per run. The beginners group run at 7, and those that are able to run 5k handy meet at 8. Pm me if you want the guys name and number.

My wife joined forget the gym last year, paid the same and only ran once a week, she thinks it's good value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 gateshead

Why do they charge?

Is the money going back into a running club or something?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

He's a qualified fitness instructor. It's hard for some people to run on their own, well in my case anyway. I don't know what the money goes towards. Maybe advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

Thanks for the post on this OP. I joined up during the week and found it great. The guy who runs it was so nice and helpful. The others in the group had all started 7 weeks before me and, even though I managed to do 4km, he stayed with me when I fell off the pace of the main group. He was so encouraging and full of great information.

I will be out again this week and hopefully will be able to up the pace a little :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

join a running club,,ud pay circa 60/80 euros for a year,be able to run any time with other members of the club,and what ever coaches they have,the probly have a fit for life group doin couch to 5k or 10k,,,,paying a 5 eiuros to to run with sombody is ridiculous imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

ultraman1, I didn't see any info on the Naas AC about doing fit for life - this was the main reason I joined this group. I want to get comfortable running at least 5km before joining a club. I know this probably sounds mad but it was the easiest way for me to get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 CinnamonGum

I am really glad I joined this running club, Brendan the couch is so encouraging and patient. I was so unfit when I joined before Christmas now I am out 2 nights a week running 4 - 7km and loving it! I lacked the confidence and the motivation to go running by myself so this is why I joined the begineers group - all fitness levels, all shapes & sizes and a friendly group. I feel great physically & mentally well worth €5.00 in my opinon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If anybody in the Kildare area is interested in running and have a dog, there is a recently set up group on facebook. It's to meet up for walks/runs. Some info on canicross. Training info. Recommendations for dog business in the area etc.

Can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 3 murphyismydog

How do I contact the running club? I'm interested in joining. I've just moved to Sallins from Dublin and am looking to meet people and get fit.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 murphyismydog

Do you have contact details for the running club?

Thanks,

Alan

pm sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mgs2

Hi all. Can someone pm me the details if the club is still active, as I would love to join.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CinnamonGum

x

Just updating here. Still running. Upped my distance with the help of the group. Broke 10km in under an hour last night, and got a pb of 11.8km in 1 hour 10 minutes. Signed up for my first 10k run after it aswell. Confidence really high, delighted I got back running. There's runs on Saturdays now too, with 3 levels of runners. 5k, 10k and 15-20k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 carlitto

Hi All ,
    this running Group sounds like just what im looking for. Would anybody be able to send me Details of how I could join
    Thanks

carlitto wrote: »
    Hi All ,
    this running Group sounds like just what im looking for. Would anybody be able to send me Details of how I could join
    Thanks

I'll pm you later with a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shady_lady99

Hi all,

Just wondering if this group is still meeting?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just wondering if this group is still meeting?

Thanks!

Tis indeed. Would you like his number?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shady_lady99

That would be brillant, could you PM me?

Pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

I have a relative who has been critically ill in Naas hospital for some months and I visit them as much as possible. The only break I get is walking around the lake beside the hospital. One day I went for my walk just as the running group was meeting up and they practically shoved me off the path. It was a frosty day and I nearly slipped and lost my balance. On other days I have had to get out of their way as they took over the path completely. None of them would stand on the grass nearby. I thought it was strange because when I was in a bootcamp group we always trained on grass. The instructor told us to run on grass where possible.

Please ask the leader of this running group to have some consideration and courtesy for people walking around the lake as they may be under a lot of stress with family in hospital.

When life was easier and I had time for hobbies and fitness I never paid for running - I always ran on my own but paid to do a bootcamp twice a week. As a runner and bootcamper I always had consideration for other people on the roads/paths. From my experience this group does not.

• Advertisement

That's terrible carry on. Pull them up on it next time. I can't speak for all of them, as I don't know them all, but I'd always move onto the grass if I was meeting 2 people coming towards me.

Advertisement