Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/100 mbps Firewall on UPC

Options
  • 13-09-2012 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

We've just had a new firewall installed in work. After installation discovered it's only 10/100 mbs (checkpoint safe@office 500). All our switches etc. are all gigabit.
    Just wondering for the future, if UPC were to offer speeds over 100mb will we be limited to 100mb due to the firewall?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

We've just had a new firewall installed in work. After installation discovered it's only 10/100 mbs (checkpoint safe@office 500). All our switches etc. are all gigabit.
    Just wondering for the future, if UPC were to offer speeds over 100mb will we be limited to 100mb due to the firewall?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 switchrider

bugger :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭wandererz

I may be mistaken but i thought the 500 series has been discontinued. And looking at the Check Point website, it's only the 1000 series which is showing up.

I would ask for it to be taken away and refunded because you certainly aren't going to get longevity out of that.

Knowing Check Point you will be forced to upgrade in a year or two anyway if its been discontinued.

There are more capable devices out there anyway.

And if you have a 100Mbps connection, you probably will not get 100Mbps out of the 500 anyway. So you're paying for bandwidth which is being throttled anyway.

Edit: Confirmed. You've been shafted by whichever reseller you bought that from.
    The Safe@office 500 was end of sale last year and end of engineering support in May next year.

http://www.checkpoint.com/services/lifecycle/appliance-support.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

wandererz wrote: »
    I may be mistaken but i thought the 500 series has been discontinued. And looking at the Check Point website, it's only the 1000 series which is showing up.

I would ask for it to be taken away and refunded because you certainly aren't going to get longevity out of that.

Knowing Check Point you will be forced to upgrade in a year or two anyway if its been discontinued.

There are more capable devices out there anyway.

And if you have a 100Mbps connection, you probably will not get 100Mbps out of the 500 anyway. So you're paying for bandwidth which is being throttled anyway.

Edit: Confirmed. You've been shafted by whichever reseller you bought that from.
    The Safe@office 500 was end of sale last year and end of engineering support in May next year.

http://www.checkpoint.com/services/lifecycle/appliance-support.html

+1 on this.

I'm going to assume that the Firewall was a refurb? I'd find it strange that new old stock of that model would still be sold, due to it being near the end of support. Generally the old stock would (should) be returned to the distributor. I'd definitely look at choosing a different model.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 switchrider

thanks guys for the info - will get it sorted...

• Advertisement
Advertisement