Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ign Top 100 rpg games

• 13-09-2012 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

has to be one of the worst selection of games i have ever seen , apparently according to ign kingdom hearts 2 is better than persona 3 and 4 WTF also legend of dragoon is better than phantasy star

the list is half complete , i have a feeling ff 13 is going to be in the list somehow

http://ie.ign.com/top/rpgs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Really irks me when sites post these lists and think it's a good idea to put each item on it's own page so you have to click through each one :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Yeah, it's all because of advertising etc. ****y practice if you ask me, I refuse to go through them as a result.

And FFVIII better be at the top of that list, all I'm sayin' ;P

I usually just wait until it's complete, click on #1, go "hrm" and then just leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

calex71 wrote: »
    Really irks me when sites post these lists and think it's a good idea to put each item on it's own page so you have to click through each one :mad:

Seems to the be new thing to post lists like this.... due to size of the paragraphs they could have had a least 4-5 per page.

Also from flicking through some of the list I am shocked and confused at some of the placings (and even some of the game included), which is not really surprising considering that's all these lists are meant to do.

Only good thing about them is I may discover something I've not played or heard about but pointless putting is some kind of random numerical order.

Also can't wait to hear what Retr0gamer has to say about these :p

EDIT: Btw here is the list so far for easier viewing :D
    100 - Ys Book I & II
    99 - Lunar: Eternal Blue
    98 - Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    97 - Final Fantasy VIII
    96 - Phantasy Star
    95 - The Legend of Dragoon
    94 - Vagrant Story
    93 - Tales of Phatansia
    92 - Diablo III
    91 - Fable II
    90 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
    89 - Fallout: New Vegas
    88 - Final Fantasy IX
    87 - Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
    86 - Shadowrun
    85 - Breath of Fire III
    84 - Kingdom Hearts
    83 - Fire Emblem
    82 - Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
    81 - Dragon Warrior VII
    80 - Dungeon Master
    79 - Icewind Dale 2
    78 - The Witcher 2
    77 - Tales of Symphonia
    76 - Illusion of Gaia
    75 - Front Mission 3
    74 - Wizardry 8
    73 - Final Fantasy
    72 - Grandia 2
    71 - The Bard's Tale
    70 - Demon's Souls
    69 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
    68 - Kingdom Hearts 2
    67 - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    66 - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    65 - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    64 - Final Fantasy X
    63 - Skies of Arcadia
    62 - The World Ends With You
    61 - Chrono Cross
    60 - EVE Online
    59 - Phantasy Star IV
    58 - Freedom Force
    57 - Mass Effect 2
    56 - Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    55 - Monster Hunter Tri
    54 - Neverwinter Nights 2
    53 - Ultima VII
    52 - Odin Sphere
    51 - Wild Arms
    50 - Golden Sun
    49 - Dragon Quest V
    48 - Tales of Destiny
    47 - Xenogears
    46 - Pool of Radiance
    45 - Disgaea
    44 - Suikoden II
    43 - Valkyria Chronicles
    42 - Lunar: Silver Star Story
    41 - Xenoblade Chronicles
    40 - Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
    39 - Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
    38 - Phantasy Star II
    37 - Guild Wars
    36 - Shining Force II
    35 - Pokemon Black/White
    34 - Fallout
    33 - Ultima Online
    32 - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    31 - Neverwinter Nights
    30 - Jade Empire
    29 - Dragon Warrior
    28 - Fallout 2
    27 - Dragon Quest VIII
    26 - Ultima IV
    25 - Deus Ex
    24 - Baldur's Gate
    23 - Phantasy Star Online
    22 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    21 - Super Mario RPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Diablo III in there at all?

The Witcher 2 at 78?

Mass Effect 2 above Demon's Souls?

Freedom Force at 58?

They can **** right off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Terrible list but then again it's IGN. Stuff like Legend of Dragoon and FF Tactics Advance should be on worst RPG ever lists. Kingdom Hearts 2 better than Persona 3 and 4? Actually why is KH on the list and why are Persona 3 and 4 higher. You can bet Final Fantasy VII will be number 1 or close to it and Deus Ex and System Shock 2 left off it. FFVII isn't even the best FF or PS1 RPG. Chrono Cross and Xenogears on the list? Have they played these overhyped games recently? Way too much Japanese stuff as well with the western RPGs just added to be name checked it seems. I can see Mass Effect and the pretty mediocre Dragon Age games placing highly. Mass Effect is good but better than the true classic Western RPGs? I doubt it. Odin Sphere at 52? I like the game but it has problems. Where's the first Grandia? Etrian Odyssey? Nocturne? I can bet they'll leave some of those classics off the list. I see Dragon Warrior VII on there as well, which is considered one of the worst entries in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Final Fantasy IX in 88th place and Skies of Arcadia in 63rd tells me all I need to know about this list.

CoD4: Modern Warfare at #1.

Calling it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Retr0 is gonna bust a nut when he see's Legend of Dragoon included in any list that has "best RPGs" in the title :D

It's a strange one alright, defintely some confusing placements. Little bit disappointed with the low score for FFIX, especially since I've played a good few of those higher and they disappointed compared to FFIX.

Also, 100% behind the hatred for lists that have a single entry per page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Any wagers on Number 1?

I imagine Dark Souls, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy VII, Fallout 3 and Skyrim will all be in the Top 10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    Retr0 is gonna bust a nut when he see's Legend of Dragoon included in any list that has "best RPGs" in the title :D

It belongs on a worst ever list not a best ever list. Even IGN's own review is less than glowing, getting a 7 when every other RPG at the time got at the very least a high 8 in IGN regardless of quality.

Any wagers on Number 1?

I imagine Dark Souls, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy VII, Fallout 3 and Skyrim will all be in the Top 10

If Dark Souls gets in the Top #10 then I've given up on IGN. ME3 probably deserves to be there, but Skyrim.. perhaps not? If Oblivion isn't higher than Skyrim, then there's something wrong. Same with Mass Effect 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Chrono cross instead of chrono trigger, good old IGN being brain dead again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

If Dark Souls gets in the Top #10 then I've given up on IGN. ME3 probably deserves to be there, but Skyrim.. perhaps not? If Oblivion isn't higher than Skyrim, then there's something wrong. Same with Mass Effect 1.

I don't follow... Reading your post it seems like you don't think Dark Souls should be in the top 10, and you think Oblivion is better than Skyrim... But surely neither of those is the case ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And I bet Eye of the Beholder 1, 2 or 3 will not make it on the list all; nor will the likes of Betrayl of Krondor, Lands of Lore or other proper DOS era RPGs :(

*edit* I wonder if even Baldurs Gate, Ultima, Fallout 1, Might & Magic, Stonekeep (3d image on box!) etc. will make it either...

In fact I think I'll need to put in a full EoB1 to 3 replay session now after this nostalgia trip...

Dark Souls should definitely be in the top 10, probably the best RPG in a long time.

Earthbound and Mother 3 better be there. They'll probably just name check some old DOS RPGs like Planescape and Baldur's Gate.

I notice Wizardry 8 in there as well? Didn't everyone hate that entry into the series?

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Only played ME2, Witcher 2 and Valkyria Chronicles on that list.

All good games, but I don't really consider ME2 an RPG. Just a very good if slightly repetitive 3rd person shooter.

Witcher 2 was fantastic.

VC was very good but the A.I was pretty poor and the made beating the game a matter of trial and error. Also the Japanese story telling method of mixing adult/childish topics and adult/childish dialogue is a little off putting.

In the Top 10 RPGs of all time? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Darksouls is at least 4.3 times better than ME3.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    In the Top 10 RPGs of all time? :eek:

Hence probably. I doubt it will be, perhaps in the 20s, but ME1 should be in the teens, if not in the top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Fable better than Vagrant Story. Wow.

Hence probably. I doubt it will be, perhaps in the 20s, but ME1 should be in the teens, if not in the top 10.
    The word I have issue with in that post is "deserves". :)

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was up there but it most certainly doesn't deserve to be anywhere near that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah lists. Why not just say "Here's a list of 100 RPG's in no particular order"? They can claim they had a set of rules to go by, but it's all down to their personal opinion which renders the objectivity of the exercise pointless Sure if I was in charge, Dark Souls would be in the 90's and Ultima 7 would be #1, and I'm fairly sure I'd be the only one who thinks that.

Is this just a weak marketing ploy by IGN who think that even bad press is better than no press?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

quite why people still get upset by the order of games in lists baffles me

Helix wrote: »
    quite why people still get upset by the order of games in lists baffles me

Some inconsistencies are expected but some professionalism is also expected and when it comes to IGN it's always facepalm city.

Anyway it would be boring if we all agreed.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

RedXIV wrote: »

If it's one thing the vast majority of us can agree upon is regarding Legends of Dragoon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,428 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I think ME2/3 deserve to be in the top 30 fi we are going to class them as RPGs.

I think Fallout New Vegas should be higher as well. No doubt Fallout 3, Oblivion and Skyrim will be higher but New Vegas was the one I really loved.

As much as I loved Valkyria Chronicles I am not sure I would rate it higher than FFX.

But thats all sttupid details cos all thew posts are going to be crap if its all "x should be higher than y".

Hoping for a Dark Souls top 15 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i dont think mass effect should be on the list cause i dont count it as a rpg

we might aswell put zelda in the rpg list if that's the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

i dont think mass effect should be on the list cause i dont count it as a rpg

Mass effect in my view is an action/rpg (well the first one is anyway).

You should also note on how they picked their list
    The Top 100 RPGs of All Time list celebrates the games that we believe most accurately exemplify the tenants of the role-playing game genre: building characters based on experience earned in the game, scaling combat based on the statistics of weapons, armor and abilities, making decisions - good or bad - that impact the game world. These core fundamentals make up the heart and soul of the RPG, and it is with these values as our guide that we present to you IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time.

Sounds like Mass Effect to me.

Advertisement