Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ign Top 100 rpg games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

All these lists are arbitrary, people will never be happy with them.
    Who is it compiled by ? the people at IGN, have each played every game on that list , I doubt it , so they can't decide if a game person A has played, it better than a game person B has played.
    They should have run some kind of poll at least, similar to what Gametrailers did for the Top10 Trailers (as voted by us) , although onces from recent memory usually tend to be nearer the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They have Kat Bailey, Jeremy Parish, Frank Cifaldi and Bob Mackey next door at 1up who happen to be owned by the same company and have connections with contributors that also know RPGs more than anyone at IGN. I'd say if they asked them they wouldn't agree at all to this list.

I find the screwattack and gametrailers top 10's pretty woeful as well. Gametrailers reviews are pretty good though.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find the screwattack and gametrailers top 10's pretty woeful as well. Gametrailers reviews are pretty good though.

I agree, their Top100 was obviously theirs, but I did say the Top10 , which we the viewers, got to vote on, and is therefore more reflective of public opinion.

Unfortunately in this kind of poll, if it were put to the public, most of us would only have played 10-15% of the games listed , and therefore always the same (not necessarily the best) would be at the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

People actually read the "articles" on IGN?

bahahahahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Suikoden 2 should be number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

absolutely offensively terrible list, I'm guessing no Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga or Shining Force 3 simply because none of these people ever had a saturn lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Today's shameful list:

30. Jade Empire (really? ahead of better WRPGs?)
    29. Dragon Warrior (a horribly dated game ahead of the first FF, DQV which is considered the best in the series and a few other DQ games)
    28. Fallout 2 (proper order)
    27. Dragon Quest VIII (great but again higher than much better games on the list)
    26. Ultima IV (Ahead of VII???)
    25. Deus Ex (should be higher and where is System Shock 2?)
    24.Baldur's Gate
    23. Phantasy Star Online
    22. Oblivion (yawn)
    21. Super Mario RPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Also
    40 - Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
    39 - Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
    38 - Phantasy Star II
    37 - Guild Wars
    36 - Shining Force II
    35 - Pokemon Black/White
    34 - Fallout
    33 - Ultima Online
    32 - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    31 - Neverwinter Nights

I've updated the bigger list of the first page.

Today's shameful list:

25. Deus Ex (should be higher and where is System Shock 2?)

Will prob be further up the list

There's some really stupid stuff with the ordering. Persona 3 ahead of Persona 4. Tactics Ogre below stuff like Shining Force and other tactical RPGs despite it being pretty much the pinnacle of the genre.

• Advertisement

There's some really stupid stuff with the ordering.

The title says top 100 RPG games but the way they decided on them is strange as I mentioned before which might be impacting the ordering. Then again it's probably just typical IGN.
    IGN wrote:
    The Top 100 RPGs of All Time list celebrates the games that we believe most accurately exemplify the tenants of the role-playing game genre: building characters based on experience earned in the game, scaling combat based on the statistics of weapons, armor and abilities, making decisions - good or bad - that impact the game world. These core fundamentals make up the heart and soul of the RPG, and it is with these values as our guide that we present to you IGN's Top 100 RPGs of All Time.
    Is there not other attributes they should be looking at i.e the story, gameplay etc

I think they are just setting out what they think defines the genre especially considering what is and isn't an RPG is a very grey area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

#40 Ogre Battle - Isn't this on the Virtual Console? Anyone know if it's worth getting?

It's very good but very complex and takes ages to learn, it's one of those games you need to read the instruction manual before you start. It's definitely not for everyone. I'd recommend Tactics Ogre over it but it's a much different game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I really hope number one on the list is mass effect 3, so I can laugh so hard I get cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Persona 4 at 90? Done with the list already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

It's got me thinking and I reckon my top ten would be (in no particular order):

Persona 4
    Fire Emblem – Path of Radiance
    SMT – Devil Survivor
    The World Ends with You
    Radiant Historia
    Dark Souls
    Secret of Mana
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Vagrant Story
    Knights of the Old Republic

No idea why they went with Fire Emblem on the GBA when the sequel The Sacred Stones is far superior and regarded by many as the best English language title in the series (hardcore FE fans usually opt for FE5 - Thraki 776). Path of Radiance is my personal favourite as it has by far the best narrative.

Just came across this thread in my followed threads and realised that this was never completed.

Could ME3 make it to the number 1 spot??

Here's the full completed list:
    100 - Ys Book I & II
    99 - Lunar: Eternal Blue
    98 - Shadow Hearts: Covenant
    97 - Final Fantasy VIII
    96 - Phantasy Star
    95 - The Legend of Dragoon
    94 - Vagrant Story
    93 - Tales of Phatansia
    92 - Diablo III
    91 - Fable II
    90 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4
    89 - Fallout: New Vegas
    88 - Final Fantasy IX
    87 - Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
    86 - Shadowrun
    85 - Breath of Fire III
    84 - Kingdom Hearts
    83 - Fire Emblem
    82 - Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven
    81 - Dragon Warrior VII
    80 - Dungeon Master
    79 - Icewind Dale 2
    78 - The Witcher 2
    77 - Tales of Symphonia
    76 - Illusion of Gaia
    75 - Front Mission 3
    74 - Wizardry 8
    73 - Final Fantasy
    72 - Grandia 2
    71 - The Bard's Tale
    70 - Demon's Souls
    69 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
    68 - Kingdom Hearts 2
    67 - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    66 - Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    65 - Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    64 - Final Fantasy X
    63 - Skies of Arcadia
    62 - The World Ends With You
    61 - Chrono Cross
    60 - EVE Online
    59 - Phantasy Star IV
    58 - Freedom Force
    57 - Mass Effect 2
    56 - Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    55 - Monster Hunter Tri
    54 - Neverwinter Nights 2
    53 - Ultima VII
    52 - Odin Sphere
    51 - Wild Arms
    50 - Golden Sun
    49 - Dragon Quest V
    48 - Tales of Destiny
    47 - Xenogears
    46 - Pool of Radiance
    45 - Disgaea
    44 - Suikoden II
    43 - Valkyria Chronicles
    42 - Lunar: Silver Star Story
    41 - Xenoblade Chronicles
    40 - Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
    39 - Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
    38 - Phantasy Star II
    37 - Guild Wars
    36 - Shining Force II
    35 - Pokemon Black/White
    34 - Fallout
    33 - Ultima Online
    32 - The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
    31 - Neverwinter Nights
    30 - Jade Empire
    29 - Dragon Warrior
    28 - Fallout 2
    27 - Dragon Quest VIII
    26 - Ultima IV
    25 - Deus Ex
    24 - Baldur's Gate
    23 - Phantasy Star Online
    22 - Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    21 - Super Mario RPG
    20 - Everquest
    19 - System Shock 2
    18 - Dark Souls
    17 - Earthbound
    16 - Diablo
    15 - Secret of Mana
    14 - Final Fantasy Tactics
    13 - Planescape Torment
    12 - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    11 - Final Fantasy VII
    10 - Fallout 3
    9 - Mass Effect 1
    8 - World of Warcraft
    7 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    6 - Diablo 2
    5 - Final Fantasy IV
    4 - Pokemon Red/Blue
    3 - Baldur's Gate 2
    2 - Chrono Trigger
    1 -
    Final Fantasy VI

PS:
    Mass Effect 3 didn't even make the list and a good choice for No.1 spot (not what I was expecting from IGN)
    :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How did Skyrim get in at number 7? And Deus Ex should definitely be in the top 10 if not every single place in the top 10.

ME3 didn't even get in it at all..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Skyrim at #7 is a joke but I am surprised by the top 3. While not my personal preference I can't argue with 3 solid picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Actually, I don't think the games in top 20 are that bad. I'd say most of them deserves to be there. Ordering is just personal preference.

Skyrim being so high is really just a flavour of the month choice. Also Mass Effect 1 being so high? It feels really shoddy these days with the copy and pasted dungeons and mako parts. Mass Effect 2 was way better. Final Fantasy Tactics being ahead of Tactics Ogre is a joke considering TO is pretty much FFT on steroids are far superior. No Panzer Dragoon Saga anywhere on the list is a crime. FFVI being number 1 is a bit of a joke. While I agree it's the best of the Final Fantasy games it's hardly the pinnacle of the genre. Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Ultima VII, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Planescape Torment, Suikoden 2, Dragon Quest V amongst others would be far more fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Am i missing something with Pokemon ? I've tried it a couple of times (For about an hour or two) on an emulator and it seemed nothing more than a repetitive dueling RPG with practically no story.. does it actually develop into more than that after a while ? Better than Deus Ex/SS 2/ Fallout 2 ?

Besides that, i can understand the rest of the top 20 picks (Even if i don't agree with games like skyrim or ME being so high).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Magill wrote: »
    Am i missing something with Pokemon ? I've tried it a couple of times (For about an hour or two) on an emulator and it seemed nothing more than a repetitive dueling RPG with practically no story.. does it actually develop into more than that after a while ?
    Well the main story is always a rehash of the getting badges malarky. It's just tamagotchi with a rock-paper-scissor fight system :P I've played a fair few of them but only because they're on a portable consoles like gba and DS. I don't consider them to be as good as some people make them out to be.

Pokemon takes a while to get into but once you do it's pretty much got one of the deepest combat systems of any RPG. The story is light hearted fluff but it does it so well and with such humour and then there's the real meat of the game, the competitive battles.

The story is light hearted fluff but it does it so well and with such humour and then there's the real meat of the game, the competitive battles.

No !! It's collecting them all !! Gotta catch em all ! :D
    I had 151 at one stage ! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Pokèmon's just pure addiction imo, and I don't mean that in a bad way at all either, haven't played any version in a while but loved every bit of them.

And while we're on the subject of repetition, Skyrim at #7????? no thanks.

And from a very quick glance at the rest of the list, Final Fantasy IX's a bit low at #88 for my liking, especially since tactics advance got above it and even X for that matter. But that's more of a personal opinion and I'm sure there's plenty who'd agree with the ranking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Final Fantasy VI is an interesting choice for the number 1 spot. I was sure they'd cop out and go with Final Fantasy VII. I would have Final Fantasy XIII on there before Legend of Dragoon.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Of that list I have played the following and how I rate them.

10. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    9. Final Fantasy VII
    8. Valkyria Chronicles
    7. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    6. Mass Effect 2
    5. Fallout 3
    4. Mass Effect
    3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    2. The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
    1. Deus Ex

Advertisement