Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY picnic bench

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yes.
    Last spring I made a bench from the pine equavilent. 2m long, three sets of legs to the ground. Ours was done for €80 including staining twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Brilliant! thanks a lot bbam.I was worried that 19mm thick would not be thick enough for the legs. So do you mean you have 3 sets of legs? As in one in the middle too? Or just one at each end but with 3 planks to the ground? Did you use online plans for it by any chance?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sorry, yes set in the middle also.

I actually copied from another bench I had access to making alterations I wanted.

I reduced the distance from seat to table by a few inches as I find that with many benches children are sitting too low.

Smashing thanks. One more question if you dont mind, would you remember roughly how many planks you needed? Thinking along the lines of 6 foot x 2 1/2 foot for table top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Depends on the length of board. Obviously if you got a 12ft plank you can get 2 6fts of it but if there 8 fts you may aswell have an 8ft bench as you will have a lot of waste if you cut two foot of every plank.

General rule of ergonomics says a seat should be 450mm of the ground and a table top should be in or around 750 mm of the ground.

I don't think there is a need for three sets of legs on a 3 ft bench just keep the legs in from the end of the table a bit.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot. The lengths are about 13 foot so will get 2 from each.
    Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

B&Q are/were selling off Pressure Treated 6 person picnic benches for 70 euro recently in Airside and Liffey valley.

You could also make a picnic bench/table from "composite decking".

This will never rot and requires no treatments at all.

Thanks Paddy. Checked in Airside and all the summer stock was gone. Must ring round cheers

redser7 wrote: »
    Thanks Paddy. Checked in Airside and all the summer stock was gone. Must ring round cheers

Liffey Valley is a B&Q Superstore...its their biggest diy centre in Ireland.

You might get lucky out there.;)

• Advertisement

No joy, DIY it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If your going to use decking for a bench my suggestion would be to use the double sided treated decking

It works quite well and looks very very well

Thanks Joey

Advertisement