Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What TV ads scared you as a child?

• 13-09-2012 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any examples of television advertisments which scared them when they were children? Personally, this one petrified me:

Why is this giant wooden man in an attic with two children?! And how can he speak without moving his lips?! AHHHH, HE'S POINTING AT ME!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Another bloody post that makes me feel old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Back to school ads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Not scary as such, just made me think, "WTF are those ad execs on?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was always wary of crass consumerism so all ads scared me as a child.

But seriously folks.... none. I was never scared of an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Most of them tbh. How do these weird smiley men keep getting in the house? And how come the frustrated woman is never suprised to see them in her house? How many men are back there mam? Does daddy know? And how does that washing powder get my whites so white??! It's witchcraft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Dont remember it but my mother says there was an irish independant ad of just a close-up of an eye and voice over that freaked the s**t out of me and made me run screaming out of the room.

The one I do remember was a Weetabix ad about thew time of E.T. since they had small toys or such in the cereal, I would hide outside of the room and peer around the door until it ended. I was terrified of E.T. as a child, still never seen the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Burger King ads still freak the ****e out of me. That king lad has some weird head on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

Most embarrassingly, there was a TV sponger advert in the early 80s with a talking sponge. I have no idea why I was petrified of the damn thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I read the thread title and immedately thought of that 'Them bones, them bones need calcium' ad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

These kinds of things used to FREAK me out. They'd be on Channel 4 and UTV when I was a kid.

I remember when I was about 8 - I couldn't sleep one night. I came downstairs really late and put on the telly. There was an ad like this that showed a girl that drowned face down in her garden pond. I was traumatised for about a year.:pac:

There was another one as well where the message was to look after elderly neighbours. And to check if you haven't seen them about in a few days. The music was really eerie and there were loads of scary cats in it.

Can't find either on youtube.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm not a child and it doesn't scare me but I have to vent my anger at the ad that starts with someone playing the piano and it seems everyone on the ad joins in.....it's always on At The Races channel and it absolutely did my head in when in the pub last Saturday, seemed to be on every 2 minutes ffs :mad:

I don't even know what the ad is for but it's more annoying than an itchy arse for Captain Hook with a broken good arm!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My youngest son used to be petrified of the Mars ad with the Salvador Dali lips style couch that would eat people and spit them out minus their mars bar.

He was only a few months old when this started to freak him and if we were watching tv we would have to have the remote control in hand during the ads coz the tiniest flicker of the ad would have him screaming and going mental.

When he was about 6yrs old he became obsessed with Dali for some reason and on his 7th birthday we were in London (en-route to Paris) and had a few hours to kill and were walking past the Tate Modern and there were all these sculptures outside. He ran over to one of them and started hugging it and was almost crying sayiing "Oh my god I am touching a Dali". Weird child.

He also just wanted to touch the Eiffel tower. He didn't really care about anything else in Paris, just touching the Eiffel tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Not an ad but I used to be scared shitless of 'Jaws'! As soon as the music would start when someone was in the water I'd leg it out to the kitchen!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

those old beware of electricity lines ads where the kid got fried chasing after a ball/kite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Can't link to it at work, but my Sister was terrified of that ad for Tango - the one with the football supporter who finds himself alone in the terraces at a match, then spies a creepy old women shreiking "Noooooooooooo!", and then behind him a blue man also going "Noooooooooo!". Then his head goes flying off for no obvious reason.

Those Tango guys were smoking the good stuff alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I think I used to get a bit freaked out by ads on UTV that would advertise for joining the RUC or UDR or something. There was a scene of someone getting kneecapped down an alley. It was chilling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

"Beware the Judderman my dear, when the moon is fat"...I wqas an adult when this was released but it still scared the bejaysus outta me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Anything with Ronald McDonald or clowns. Not afraid of em, just don't like the fcukers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Dont remember that one, but seen it on a documentary a while ago, WTF were they thinking.

There used to be a Water safety campaign, and I remember this dude dressed like the grim reaper and again eerie music, cant find the bleedin ad tho :)

never mind found it!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8

jaysus its still as f8888ing creepy !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

emzolita wrote: »

Dont remember that one, but seen it on a documentary a while ago, WTF were they thinking.

Even the kids are freaky looking...

"Beware the Judderman my dear, when the moon is fat"...I wqas an adult when this was released but it still scared the bejaysus outta me!

here it is, damn that was scary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUOPeNJCK8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Jake1 wrote: »
    There used to be a Water safety campaign, and I remember this dude dressed like the grim reaper and again eerie music, cant find the bleedin ad tho :)

never mind found it!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb00H6mCTM8

jaysus its still as f8888ing creepy !!

jesus ,thats brilliant. the kid's little cute voices make it less scary. "how long was you in there mate"

Anything with Ronald McDonald or clowns. Not afraid of em, just don't like the fcukers.

Clowns are evil bastards. So are butterflies, pure evil

heres something for ye :) Clown and McDonalds :) creepy as be damned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niFCK-Pl3Vc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Thud

Thud wrote: »
    those old beware of electricity lines ads where the kid got fried chasing after a ball/kite

Thud wrote: »

Bloody hell they fried that kid like he was on death row. Jaze.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I used to get unsettled by an ad for stag beer. I remember watching the late late show one night and this transexual was on it (man to woman). blew my head as it was the first time I had even heard of the term not to mind see one in real life. Cue an ad break and this ad for stag beer came on, maybe I was still thinking bout the late late, but for some reason I thought the woman in the ad was a transexual, always stuck with me, couldnt watch the ad ever again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

shall i tell you about my life?

doe supported by axa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Aw Christ, I was reading this thread and was thinking"how could you be afraid of an ad?" and then you posted that:eek:

That used to freak me out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

There used to be an advert for Kit Kat (i think) were the advert started with a man laughing, it used to freak out our dog, he'd be laying on the mat sleeping, hear the advert and start barking like crazy, we used to get a fright when he'd start.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Papa_Bear

yeah all those ads from the 70's and 80's for the dangers of electricity (and there was a fair few of 'em) always got me and still would make me run cold all over, and im a electrical engineer!

What about the ones for danger of fire in the home and those about rabies.

I also remember one about kids and dangerous chemicals where a kid drinks bleech. Jeasus i'll never forget that scream as long as i live.

Some one else can google them 'cause i ain't gonna!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Going back a long time ago, but the ads for Bisto gravy i.e. the Bisto kids, used to freak me out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

This one scared the crap out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Public Information Films about burglars just used to make me terrified of them as a kid. The music in these 2 is creepy.

I also remember one about car theft that scared me as a kid. A family parked their car outside a shopping centre but forgot to lock it. While they were shopping these scary looking alien guys in spacesuits came along and managed to get into it. They drove off in the car as the family were coming back out, and I remember one of the kids said something like "Spacemen just stole our car!". Sounds like a really weird ad, anyone remember it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Don't think it was ever on TV but remember this one from the cinema

WARNING NOT FOR THOSE OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION

Advertisement