Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 messed up after 5.1.1

• 13-09-2012 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Yesterday I had a perfectly working iPhone 4 and since letting it update to 5.1.1 the home button doesn't work and Apple won't even talk to me without me paying them €35. So upset at the mo, anybody else having this problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

AilsOD wrote: »
    Yesterday I had a perfectly working iPhone 4 and since letting it update to 5.1.1 the home button doesn't work and Apple won't even talk to me without me paying them €35. So upset at the mo, anybody else having this problem?

Is it still under warranty?
    My IP4 was on 5.1.1 from the day it was released and never had the home button problems you describe.

But the home button is a weak point on the 4 so they will replace it for free if under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Have you tried doing a restore under iTunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭AilsOD

kceire wrote: »
    Is it still under warranty?
    My IP4 was on 5.1.1 from the day it was released and never had the home button problems you describe.

But the home button is a weak point on the 4 so they will replace it for free if under warranty.

No it's nearly 2 years old at this stage, I stopped paying the insurance on it about 2 weeks ago as I couldn't afford it anymore. I'm going sim only as I'm just out of contract. I was actually unlocking it when it decided to not work properly. I've found a way around it, I can live with it but I feel cheated by Apple at the mo. At least it's still useable. My brother is on 5.1.1 with no problems either so I'd say I'll have a hard time convincing anyone that it was the update that caused the problem but it has to be, nothing else happened the phone and I like I said it was grand before.

If i was you id try another restore and then restore from backup....

dpjmie wrote: »
    If i was you id try another restore and then restore from backup....

Literally just completed the third restore since yesterday, no good :(

• Advertisement

Yep I've tried that too. Thanks though :)

Send it away to apple, i just got a phone back which was water damaged and only took 5 days :)

I might do that once I get my new sim then I'll still have communication with another phone while they fix it. It's gonna kill me to have to pay for a repair when I've done absolutely nothing to cause this. But it may be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Have you tried restoring as a new phone instead of restoring a backup

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    Have you tried restoring as a new phone instead of restoring a backup

Yep, I've also restored it to the oldest backup it'll let me. I might send it off to the UK with my brother who lives there, he's gotten on really well with his local Apple store in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Ray Darcy Was complaining this morning that his has done the same.

Ray Darcy Was complaining this morning that his has done the same.

Aww shoot I missed that, I heard Farrell going on about 50 Shades of Grey again but didn't hear anything about the iPhone. Cannot figure out if it was the unlock or the update that's caused the problem but just gonna get on with it for the moment I found a way around it with the AssistiveTouch setting so it could be a lot worse.

I am now happy to report that after the fifth restore my phone is now behaving itself and working absolutely fine :D My mother always says that patience is a virtue ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

AilsOD wrote: »
    Yep, I've also restored it to the oldest backup it'll let me. I might send it off to the UK with my brother who lives there, he's gotten on really well with his local Apple store in the past.
    just as an FYI, restoring as a new phone, you don't pick a previous backup, when asked select restore as a new phone

guil wrote: »
    just as an FYI, restoring as a new phone, you don't pick a previous backup, when asked select restore as a new phone

Yes, I know that thanks. I did that at one point, it didn't fix my problem so I restored it again to backup cos I didn't want to bother putting everything back on it manually. Anyway doesn't matter now, phone is working grand again.

Advertisement