Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irregardless

• 13-09-2012 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭

In general I am a pretty laid back, chilled out person.

However, I have just been surprised to learn that when people use "irregardless" in a sentence, without their tongue firmly planted in their cheek, it causes a blood-boiling rage to well up in my chest.

I cannot explain how someone being ignorant enough to use as asinine non-word, which technically means the opposite of what they're are trying to convey, could cause me to react so strongly. But it does. And I needed to vent.

What little foibles cause you to irrationally overreact?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

I seen what you did there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Irrational overreactions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I can't believe I loose my keys so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

It doesn't really bother me, Irregardless of what the posters above have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I always thought when someone said Irregardless they were talking about a small town called 'Irra' where the police station had been closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

When people write alot instead of a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Somehow relaxing has become 'chillax'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I have never heard anyone say that word. Ever.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    When people write alot instead of a lot?

Stickyspacebar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I cannot explain how someone being ignorant enough to use as asinine non-word, which technically means the opposite of what they're are trying to convey, could cause me to react so strongly. But it does. And I needed to vent.

When people use words unnecessarily.

• Advertisement

The words thinly veiled or disguised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Valetta wrote: »
    When people use words unnecessarily.

If that made you feel as much rage as "irregardless" does for me, then I wholeheartedly apologise. I have just discovered that ice-cream is a great way to calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

If that made you feel as much rage as "irregardless" does for me, then I wholeheartedly apologise. I have just discovered that ice-cream is a great way to calm down.

It makes me feel less than gruntled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

for all intensive purposes theirs nothing wrong with that, though they could of said something better then irregardless. they need to be more pacific.

Wholeheartedly I've just discovered I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

However, I have just been surprised to learn that when people use "irregardless" in a sentence, without their tongue firmly planted in their cheek, it causes a blood-boiling rage to well up in my chest.

I cannot explain how someone been ignorant enough to use as asinine non-word, which technically means the opposite of what they're are trying to convey, could cause me to react so strongly. But it does. And I needed to vent.

That one pisses me right off.
    You didn't get it wrong obviously, I just changed yours to make my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I love hearing the word 'enormity' used in the right way, even when the person using it mightn't mean it in that way.
    Heard someone say 'the enormity of what happened on 9/11...' and i thought: well done that man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In regards less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

I amn't a fan either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

The phrase "Thanking you", or people adding out to the end of a sentence, e.g. "I was happy out".

Idiocy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Any fellow pedants have any thoughts on the misuse of the word random?

ENOUGH ALREADY! NEXT FAD WORD PLEASE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

cantdecide wrote: »

Your post is EPIC.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Count Wankula

tongue firmly planted in their cheek

Boils my piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭number66

Well one of my many pet peeves is when shops put goods on display without a price tag.

I love hearing the word 'enormity' used in the right way, even when the person using it mightn't mean it in that way.
    Heard someone say 'the enormity of what happened on 9/11...' and i thought: well done that man

Do people often use that word incorrectly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I always thought regardless and irregardless meant the same thing. Same as the whole flammable and inflammable fiasco that got me kicked out of the Fire Brigade years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

People who misuse the word 'literally'.

I heard a School Principal talking about a compost Recycling scheme when he claimed the School was 'Literally putting the money they made back into the ground'

If I had a gun, I might have shot him. Literally.

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    I always thought regardless and irregardless meant the same thing. Same as the whole flammable and inflammable fiasco that got me kicked out of the Fire Brigade years ago.

Who is responsible for this monstrosity of a word :mad:

Skid wrote: »

I heard a School Principal talking about a compost Recycling scheme when he claimed the School was 'Literally putting the money they made back into the ground'

plus one

+54487987987465654654

my ears / eyes literally bleed when I see / hear that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Simples :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My favourite is "I got my car fixed last week by that garage and I got literally.... raped".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Obligated. When was 'obliged' put out to pasture?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

The ongoing misuse of the word "revert", as a substitute for "reply", and the use of "action" and "on board" as verbs.

"Please action that by COB, and revert to me on completion of same." F**k off.

"Can you make sure you on board those new procedures for next month?"

Pretty much any business/corporate speak boils my blood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I could care less

Apple,sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Funglegunk wrote: »
    cantdecide wrote: »

Your post is EPIC.
    Your post is totes amazeballs :D My eyes/ears almost bleed on hearing/seeing those words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

haha, I worked with a teacher last year who used to say "irregardless" all the time, she also put a "th" in the word "taught", so she'd say "girls, I thought you that last week"
    Used to drive me mad.
    Oh she also said that an apostrophe s, like "sweet's" is to be put in when a word is PLURAL!!!! OMFG!
    what did I know, I was only an SNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

It would be literal if they were actually putting money they'd made in the compost recycling scheme.

It's possible that the word 'literal' is actually shifting to mean the exact opposite of what it means at the moment. Awful, terrific, etc. Those words don't mean what they originally intended, and often mean the complete opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I always hate when you see people on forums saying "taught" instead of "thought".

It's not even a "there" "their" type situation, they're two words that are pronounced differently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Mispronouncation is my one pet peeve. Drives me fooking spare. It reminds of the following joke:

Edward Deidde, the man who spent his entire life explaining that his surname was pronounced "deed" has collapsed. He was airlifted to hospital where he was pronounced dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

summerskin wrote: »
    for all intensive purposes theirs nothing wrong with that, though they could of said something better then irregardless. they need to be more pacific.

One of the best things I've ever read on here. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

emzolita wrote: »
    I worked with a teacher last year ...
    Oh she also said that an apostrophe s, like "sweet's" is to be put in when a word is PLURAL!!!! OMFG!
    what did I know, I was only an SNA.

That is depressing. :(

What chance have the children got when their Teacher has no understanding of Grammar?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Pacly

am not sure i know any...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

americans - "i could care less".
    ffffffffffffffu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

"Onboarding". As in, to bring someone on board, figuratively. As in, to bring them up to speed on a new job..

God damn it! I can't even explain the word, without going through two or three more layers of phrases I don't like.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

summerskin wrote: »

My brain, just like, literally exploded reading that. Totes amazeballs! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Irregardless is a word. It means the same as regardless. It's not incorrect to use, whether you think it is or not. It is apparently beginning to fall out of use though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Boils my piss.

Best username ever. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement