Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irregardless

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Will somebody tell the GAA commentators and other clowns that there is no such word as TREMENJOUS. :mad::mad:

The word is tremendous.

Phew, glad that's done, I got annoyed just typing the word the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

summerskin wrote: »
    for all intensive purposes theirs nothing wrong with that, though they could of said something better then irregardless. they need to be more pacific.

Its incredulous how much anger irregardless illicits in me.
    Revert back to me about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Foibles. What a silly little word. It sounds like a French disease. It doesn't make my blood boil though, that is reserved for 'fickle'

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JerseyJoe

I find that typos in publications actually bug me more than any incorrect word usage.

They're supposed to actually know how to use the words correctly. It grinds my gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It pisses me off when people use being instead of been. As in, 'It has being a great day. Oddly enough, I don't mind when people get it the other way around.

It just makes me so mad, and I don't know why. Also, when people use then instead of than. And should of instead of should have.

But 'being' is by far the worst. It just makes me so gosh darn mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

My grasp of the English language is a blessing in the skies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Your post is EPIC.
    FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Eggcetera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Hate to rain on your parade here*, but irregardless is actually a word now.

*may not be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The previous Irregardless thread went to four pages. I wonder how long this one will go on.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056470077

Irregardless is in 27 dictionaries according to this:

http://www.onelook.com/?w=irregardless&ls=a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Weird to see all the closed accounts in that thread. Forgot some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

People writing: "...we will insure this doesn't happen again..." just makes me want to cry. (The word is ensure).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

People like the op dont think it be like it is, but it do.

It really really do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I looked this up before - Literally has been used as an intensifier for many years, despite the contradiction. If you google it the 2nd part of the definition is "Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling." I think it has changed meaning,or added a new level meaning to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Oh what joy, this is like a coming out party for fellow grammar nazis :D
    Since I moved to Dublin, I've been driven spare by people saying 'I seen ....' I actually grew impatient with a guy at work and said 'you didn't seen the match, you saw it', arsehole of me I know but I don't like him anyway.
    Another one that bugs me is 'real'. 'that was a real good lunch'. It's really!!!!!
    I work in a job where you write reports for court and one of my colleagues just went ahead and made up a new word 'ongoingly', had to gently tell her that word does not exist.
    One that actually caught me out recently is that it's not right to say 'presently', you always say 'at present'
    I know I'm pedantic about it which can come across as snobby or whatever but I don't care. I work in a job where you have to write very serious reports that are read out in court and the poor grammar in some of my colleagues reports drives me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Once heard someone refer to an assembly line as "the resemblance line"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

You sound like a teacher or politician!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Annoying when ambivalent is confused with uninterested. I get over it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

kneemos wrote: »
    The words thinly veiled or disguised.

Thinly veiled "I don't like thinly veiled posts" post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Quorum wrote: »
    Irregardless is a word. It means the same as regardless. It's not incorrect to use, whether you think it is or not. It is apparently beginning to fall out of use though.

Nobody with any sense would ever use the word. It is non-standard, structurally it actually means the opposite of what it is trying to convey, and it contains the correct word within it. The extra syllable has no function except to mislead.

Note that most spell-checkers do not recognise it, and where it is included in dictionaries, its use is often discouraged. In fact, Miriam Webster directly states "Use regardless instead." That's an American dictionary. The same nation that invented the word. The same guys who are perfectly happy to take the last "i" out of Aluminium, without extending the same courtesy to the rest of the elements. Why not Plutonum or Uranum?

I digress. Whether or not you think it is correct to use, using it sounds asinine. Unfortunately, it isn't really falling out of use, at least in the business world. The same type of people who use "action" as a verb and are fond of terms like "blue sky thinking" tend to have a soft spot for "irregardless".

Perhaps that's part of the reason that it causes me so much ire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

When someone tries to shove that f**/in American word "Gnarly" into a conversation.
    And receiving a text message in ..txt spk frm sum1,.. especially an adult, even my own kids think it's bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Bassfish wrote: »
    Oh what joy, this is like a coming out party for fellow grammar nazis :D
    Since I moved to Dublin, I've been driven spare by people saying 'I seen ....' I actually grew impatient with a guy at work and said 'you didn't seen the match, you saw it', arsehole of me I know but I don't like him anyway.
    Another one that bugs me is 'real'. 'that was a real good lunch'. It's really!!!!!
    I work in a job where you write reports for court and one of my colleagues just went ahead and made up a new word 'ongoingly', had to gently tell her that word does not exist.
    One that actually caught me out recently is that it's not right to say 'presently', you always say 'at present'
    I know I'm pedantic about it which can come across as snobby or whatever but I don't care. I work in a job where you have to write very serious reports that are read out in court and the poor grammar in some of my colleagues reports drives me mad.

I understand your point about using correct grammar in serious documents and/or reports, but the word 'seen' is a colloquial expression used in Dublin (and I've seen it written in books by Americans and English people). Maybe just think of the person as dropping the 'have' of the expression.

It is interesting that you're using certain verbs in the past tense ('grew') which have clearly altered over time, which is possibly what is happening with the past tense of 'to see'.

Also interesting is that your post extolling the virtues of grammar nazis is missing some commas and full stops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

iDave wrote: »
    Somehow relaxing has become 'chillax'

Have you got conflustered* over it?

*(Confused and flustered)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

Nobody with any sense would ever use the word. It is non-standard, structurally it actually means the opposite of what it is trying to convey, and it contains the correct word within it. The extra syllable has no function except to mislead.

Note that most spell-checkers do not recognise it, and where it is included in dictionaries, its use is often discouraged. In fact, Miriam Webster directly states "Use regardless instead." That's an American dictionary. The same nation that invented the word. The same guys who are perfectly happy to take the last "i" out of Aluminium, without extending the same courtesy to the rest of the elements. Why not Plutonum or Uranum?

I digress. Whether or not you think it is correct to use, using it sounds asinine. Unfortunately, it isn't really falling out of use, at least in the business world. The same type of people who use "action" as a verb and are fond of terms like "blue sky thinking" tend to have a soft spot for "irregardless".

Perhaps that's part of the reason that it causes me so much ire.

It's a legitimate word though. So using it isn't wrong, and I don't actually think it sounds that stupid. So the word annoying you is your own thing and nothing to do with correctness.

And according to the OED, it is falling out of use. But hasn't yet.

As for the extra syllable not making sense? Welcome to the English language! The ever-changing, ever-evolving English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Bassfish wrote: »
    That depends on the situation. Presently is a totally valid word, but it means 'in a little while', while 'at present' means currently / at the moment. So you can say "He'll be here presently" but not "He's presently in a meeting".

Another one that annoys me is people using 'disinterested' when they mean 'uninterested'. Disinterested means unbiased, i.e. not being more interested in one side than the other. So for example a judge should be disinterested while hearing a case, but not uninterested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of word that shouldn't exist - this one really doesn't but that didn't stop a clearly well educated man saying "Surrealality" on RTE radio about a month back.

Anyone mentioned fewer and less?

What's a "click"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Time to wheel out Stephen Fry again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovi7uQbtKas

Advertisement