Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your bulbs?

Options
  • 13-09-2012 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

It's coming up to bulb planting time of year, woohoo!

I've a great big bed which is crying out for some spring bulbs, where do you get yours?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

pwurple wrote: »
    It's coming up to bulb planting time of year, woohoo!

I've a great big bed which is crying out for some spring bulbs, where do you get yours?

Aldi,Lidl,Dealz,EuroGiant and various other places....all 1 euro 50 cents for a pack.

Woodies from time to time too.....2 euro 50 cents a pack

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

I've already put mine in.

3kg sack of daffodil bulbs from B&Q - £6 or two for ten (I only needed the one - there's a lot of them and there's either the sacks of normal yellow ones or mixed varieties.)

Tulip bulbs for £1 per pack from B&Q and Poundland. Tall, red variety from B&Q (5 bulbs but bought two packs) and a dwarf, red variety from Poundland (12 bulbs).

Snowdrop (15 bulbs so bought to packs), Purple Crocus (30 corms) and Yellow Crocus bulbs (30 corms) from Poundland for a pound a pack.

Pusckinia (15 bulbs) and Allium orephilum (15 bulbs) from Poundland for two £1.

Pink Hyacinths (5 bulbs) from Poundland for £1.

English bluebell bulbs from Morrisons for £1 (Hyacinthoides non-scripta) although picture showed something that looked more like the Spanish one. Hopefully it's the native one and not the tall, ugly Spanish version. (5 bulbs)

B&Q has places in Ireland and they mostly run the same offers. Poundland doesn't have places in Ireland yet though.
    I've put all my bulbs in now. Hopefully they'll thrive and naturalise. I might put in some Crocosmia and Red hot poker corms in summer.

£16 on bulbs in total. I think it's a bit much too, but they should last for years and its cheap compared to buying flowers.

22 tulips
    30 snowdrops
    60 Crocuses
    5 Hyacinths
    5 Bluebells
    15 Pusckinia
    15 alliums
    Very many daffodils

I have a big garden and I put a lot around the fruit trees. The Hyacinths are in a window box as a specimen plant though because I'm not sure whether they'll suit the lawn.

Advertisement