Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FX: Transferring USD from abroad back to Ireland?

Options
  • 13-09-2012 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

Through a long sequence of events, I have a 6 fig sum in USD sitting in a bank in eastern Europe. I'd like to transfer it back to Ireland now into Euro and am wondering what the most cost-efficient way to do this is to keep transaction costs low & also to locate the best exchange rate. As it's a sizeable amount, to me at least, every percentage moevement makes a difference.

I think I'd prefer the currency to end up back in Euro so I knwo where I stand but if it made more sense to leave in USD then I guess that would be OK as I don't need it at the moment.

Any advice much appreciated, I'm not the most savvy in this area.

Thanks,

Marcus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

a long sequence of events....over 100k usd in east european bank account....really....thats the way those escaping your toppled regime things go :P........best to leave it there, otherwise a LOT of questions...

marcus1972 wrote: »
    Hi,

Through a long sequence of events, I have a 6 fig sum in USD sitting in a bank in eastern Europe. I'd like to transfer it back to Ireland now into Euro and am wondering what the most cost-efficient way to do this is to keep transaction costs low & also to locate the best exchange rate. As it's a sizeable amount, to me at least, every percentage moevement makes a difference.

I think I'd prefer the currency to end up back in Euro so I knwo where I stand but if it made more sense to leave in USD then I guess that would be OK as I don't need it at the moment.

Any advice much appreciated, I'm not the most savvy in this area.

Thanks,

Marcus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭granturismo

A nigerian princess emailed me yesterday with a related problem. I'll forward you her email address, maybe she has a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marcus1972

how droll. perhaps if i simplify the question:

what is the best way to transfer usd back to ireland & a) minimise the transaction costs b) ensure the best exchange rate ?

i can do a straight online transaction but i'm wondering is there a more efficient way to do this.

thanks

marcus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

I'd recommend Xetrade.com. Rates are very competitive and I've used them a few times without any problems.

Advertisement