Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Airports

Options
  • 13-09-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi folks,
    Could you please help with regards to picking an airport to fly too, Stansted or Luton for South London, Balham?
    We are planning to arrive late at night, just after 11pm and will need to get by public transport to Balham.
    One option is to fly to Stansted and home from Luton, price wise it ain't cheap but I'm trying to figure out my public transport options (and their cost!).
    Considered the Stansted Express but there seems to be no real savings on single journey v return, is that the same for all London airport public transport routes?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Tefral

Heathrow!

Get the plane to heathrow, then get the 285, 555 or 490 bus to feltham train station and then get the train from Feltham to Balham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

If your heading to south london, gatwick would be a better option.

I don't suppose that there's a whole world of difference between Stansted and Luton. Luton is geographically closer I guess. As regards transport options, in addition to train, easybus is available from all 3 airports. Alternatively, National Express (£15 return) possible from Stansted & Luton to Liverpool St./Victoria (and maybe gatwick also...you'll have to check).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Gatwick definitely. Further away but far less changes required - straight up to one of the London termini and then a train/tube direct to Balham. At that time of night you don't want to sitting around making lots of changes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Both Luton and Stanstead are to the North of London.

Gatwick is to the south

I think some airlines now also fly to Southend to the south of London

Heathrow in west London but actually close to Balham

There is a train direct from Luton which heads south of London

Balham is on the Northern line so you could

1. travel into Liverpool st from stanstead airport and go on tube to Morden or Bank and get northern line rest of the way to Balham

2.you can a thameslink train form Luton airport into London and connect up with the tube

3. you can thameslink from luton all the way to Tulse Hill or Steathem which are not tto far from balham

your issue will be the late hour I guess

There is a London area Journey Planner you maybe able to try

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I just tried the planner for 2330 tonight and it says get Train from Luton Airport to Kentish town and then tube to Balham - duration 1hour 20 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Fly to Gatwick.
    Get Southern Rail train to Balham (one change at East Croydon).
    Takes about 35-40 mins, costs about £8/£9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 drivedrive72

Thanks for getting back so quick folks.
    Good to know that Gatwick and Heathrow are closest.
    Think we'll go for Gatwick, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,277 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gatwick would definitiely be best. Luton should not be ruled out if there's a major price difference as First Capital Connect cold get you to Herne Hill/Tulse Hill which isn't that far.

Advertisement