Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackness under Tongue of dog

• 13-09-2012 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

My dog has what seems like a black pigmentation under his tongue covering 40% of his hard palate below above the mandible.
    I only noticed this last week and cannot accurately say whether it is spreading or has been there all along.
    Have any of you encountered this before,very hard to post a picture of it as he is reluctant to open his mouth for a photo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's not unusual for dogs to have dark skin inside their mouths. I've just checked my two and they both have mottling both on their gums and on the skin inside their bottom jaw.

As ever though: if you're worried go talk to a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What breed is it? A lot of dogs have black pigment in the mouth and on the tongue sometimes too. Its nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

One of my dogs has black pigmentation on his tongue, right at the very back, I only noticed it a few months ago when he did a massive yawn right in my face, I've had him for 5 years!! I did some online research and it seems it's quite common and is similar to a human having a birthmark, I also mentioned it to the vets when I was there and he said it's perfectly normal, some breeds are more prone to this marking and we don't know for certain what breeds are in him. I know some dogs like Chows I think, don't they have black tongues? I'd imagine it's a similar thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Thanks heaps for the answers folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What breed is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement