Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 3rd Gen 16gb (wifi or wifi and cellular)

• 13-09-2012 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to buy an iPad (the newest one) as a present for someone. I am confused as to the different types available.

The 16gb for €479 is wifi only.
    The 16gb for €519 is wifi and cellular.
    The 16gb for €599 is wifi and cellular and 3g.

What is the difference between the above three in terms of internet connectivity. Will the cheapest option work without a dongle etc. or do they all need some form of an external pay monthly internet service like mobile broadband.

She currently has a desktop computer in her home that is connected to a vodafone broadband and phone service, which is connected by an ethernet cable to a modem.

Which of the above would you recommend. I want her to be able to use it for email, websites, photos, youtube videos etc at home and on the go.

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭stuar

She'll need a wireless router in her home for wifi, the cellular model uses a sim and can connect to internet wherever there is coverage for a mobile phone.

I thought cellular and 3G were the same, 3g being available in some locations and not in others?

Here's a link, but I'd say your looking at the €599 model.

http://store.apple.com/ie/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/new_ipad#choose

EDIT:
    Sorry wifi is built in, in all 3 models, no dongle available or needed, a wireless router is needed to connect to the internet.

The cellular/3g model has a "dongle" built in aswell as wifi, just pop a data sim in and surf from anywhere almost. The data plans from meteor/vodafone/o2/3 are almost the same, which is best depends on the location it will be used mostly in, where I am meteor is crap while vodafone is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

@Stuar thanks for that, only getting a chance to look at your answer now. So I can just buy the cheapest option for the new ipad then and go into three or vodafone and just ask for a data sim yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Stuar thanks for that, only getting a chance to look at your answer now. So I can just buy the cheapest option for the new ipad then and go into three or vodafone and just ask for a data sim yes?
    No. In order to be able to use it over the mobile networks, you will need to buy one of the WiFi + Cellular options.

If you buy the cheapest one (WiFi only), then you will only be able to connect to the internet when you're in range of an open WiFi network.

Ok Seamus that puts it in black and white thanks!....Is that like how iphones work? I do think I'm techy enough but this whole ipad thing is bamboozling me! I buying it for someone else and I want them to be able to use it! She lives in Sligo town where the broadband/internet is pretty good and has been for a few years. I have an iphone and pay monthly and I get a 'data allowance' could you compare what my iphone is is ipad terms? Sorry I'm just confused! and also on a budget, I'm probably asking too much I wanted to buy the newest one on the market and had a €500 budget and I can't really go over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your iPhone is basically a WiFi + Cellular iPad, but smaller.

If you want her to have the same functionality and a data package from Vodafone or whoever, then you will need the WiFi + Cellular iPad.

The cheapest one of these is €599.

The iPad 2 Wifi + Cellular is €519.

• Advertisement

Thanks that makes sense finally! Thank you for your help.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You know with the latter options she'll need to pay a monthly sub to get a 3G data allowance, right? (Circa €20 a month...)

Wi-fi is free of course.

Also if she has an iPhone you can "tether" ANY iPad and use the phone's internet connection on the go, and use it's data allowance.

Is that what you would recommend Dades? As I don't really think she will want to have another €20 a month going out! And I like the sound of what you said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's totally dependent on where you think she'll want to use the iPad.

If it's a case of regular use on trains or trips where she'll want an internet connection, then it wouldn't be ideal to be "tethering" constantly. A SIM would be desirable. But if she'd be happy with wifi at home, in Starbucks or any number of places around, and to tether (if she has an iPhone) the odd time - then great.

And of course, just because she has the 3G version doesn't mean she has to pay for a SIM - Just that the option is there!

I have a new iPad and it doesn't really leave my house, tbh. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

As Dades said.

If she is going to mostly use it at home or in other people's homes or cafes or businesses - they will all have Wifi and paying for a 3G version makes no sense. She has wifi at home if she has this router in her home.

If she really needs to use it on busses and trains and on the street ............ then maybe ... just maybe the 3G version might be worth it.

Just note .... 16gb is a tiny amount of memory. If she has an interest in movies, each movie will be 1Gb. Most people's music collection will be several Gb. And apps etc will take up a few Gbs. I would always advise people to go for 32Gb Wifi only version. That's my two cents.

• Advertisement

Ah thanks a mill Piligier...that's exactly what I wanted to hear...she will be mostly at home or in an office environment or having meetings in cafes or other business offices so that should be fine. Minimal amount of travel on trains/buses...she usually drives to dublin etc....I'm delighted with that answer and your recommendation for the higher 32gb instead of investing in any wifi+ versions! Thanks for your two cents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I was just given a present of the 16gb wifi and 3G version.

I am delighted as I want to use it on the move if necessary, particularly because I go the UK for work. I got a UK prepay sim as well as my Irish monthly one.

I am happy with the storage as I don't have much music and I tend to watch tv shows and then delete them and tend to watch things soon after they aim so no need to store a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Ah thanks a mill Piligier...that's exactly what I wanted to hear...she will be mostly at home or in an office environment or having meetings in cafes or other business offices so that should be fine. Minimal amount of travel on trains/buses...she usually drives to dublin etc....I'm delighted with that answer and your recommendation for the higher 32gb instead of investing in any wifi+ versions! Thanks for your two cents!

You're welcome dude :) The 32 will be a good choice. She may not even realise it at first. But everyone who gets the iPad becomes more and more and more into it over time and they ALWAYS start using it for stuff they never expected. It is such a wizard device. And the last thing one wants to do is run out of memory - especially when she can't spin some off on to a PC.

Suggest to her or someone else who is buying her a present ... that a really good cover is WELL worth investing in. I personally highly recommend a cover that disguises the nature of the iPad ... something like a "bookbook" , or something similar. iPad's are highly desirable and these kinds of covers make sure they look very discreet when being carried or sitting in a cafe not being used - as well as delivering excellent protection.

Advertisement