Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin Wireless Router and Router/Modem - €1.25 at Tesco

• 13-09-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Tesco Midleton has 2 clearance bargains:

Belkin G Wireless modem - marked "for BT connections" so should be fine for Eircom ADSL

and

Belkin G Wireless Router - marked "for Cable connections" so should be OK for UPC or any modem with an Ethernet cable socket.

Include Ethernet cables, filters, phone cord (prob UK though) and power supply, plus set-up CD.

Note: they are "G" spec, not the more modern "N" (but most of my gear is not "N" anyway.....)

They are the princely sum of €1.25 each!

About 10 left on the shelf when I left. On the left as you go in I think - opposite the greeting cards on a "Clearance" display.

I have never seen these on sale at Tesco so I would guess they bought a job lot and so probably will have them at other branches.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Tesco Midleton has 2 clearance bargains:

Belkin G Wireless modem - marked "for BT connections" so should be fine for Eircom ADSL

and

Belkin G Wireless Router - marked "for Cable connections" so should be OK for UPC or any modem with an Ethernet cable socket.

Include Ethernet cables, filters, phone cord (prob UK though) and power supply, plus set-up CD.

Note: they are "G" spec, not the more modern "N" (but most of my gear is not "N" anyway.....)

About 10 left on the shelf when I left. On the left as you go in I think - opposite the greeting cards on a "Clearance" display.

I have never seen these on sale at Tesco so I would guess they bought a job lot and so probably will have them at other branches.

Does the Wireless G router have a cable co-ax input?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Does the Wireless G router have a cable co-ax input?

Don't think so - the "Cable" one does NOT have a modem in it - I presume it assumes you have a UCP or other cable modem with an Ethernet port - this box would add WiFi to the basic setup?

The model number on the box is Belkin F5D7234uk4-H 54G Wireless Router.
    Here's a link to the Argos page:
    http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/6758882/reviews.htm

Reason I can't be sure is I have just opened the box at home to answer your question - it was an unsealed box I happened to pick - there were sealed ones - and inside was not a Belkin modem at all - what I have been given is a Western Digital wdbaau0010hbk - a 1TB USB hard disk! (with power supply)!! WTF!

Think think - what will I do? Is it worth €1.25? hmmm......:) :)

Ah here! I think a trip to Wilton on the way home is a must!

You said it was marked "for cable connections", this suggest Co-ax?

I'll give ya a fiver for the HD, ;) 400% for you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

If it is for cable connections then it is just a router, you have to connect an ethernet cable from your UPC modem to the box

It would not have a coax connection

Ah here! I think a trip to Wilton on the way home is a must!

I'll give ya a fiver for the HD, ;) 400% for you

Thanks, but...... I guess I will have to make the trip back to Midleton and TRY to explain it all to Tesco who will immediately suspect "someone" of putting an expensive product in a cheap box, and insist on getting a modem I don't really need, and they can work out how to sell a Hard Disk without USB cable or manual...... or maybe it would be best all round if I STFU? :) I just checked it, by the way - it still has cellophane wrapped round it - and it works straight out of the box - was formatted NTFS and all. Think it said WD Elements HD 2010 (or something like that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 vimes

Got the last of the ADSL modems there about ten minutes ago.

Came back and saw the above thread, tore open the box to find...

an ADSL Wireless Modem.

Totally suffering buyers remorse now - why? why, cruel world? why didn't I check to get a better deal for my hard earned 125 cents? why? :)

Oh, nearly forgot - thanks OP, very nice one indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

vimes wrote: »
    Got the last of the ADSL modems there about ten minutes ago.

Came back and saw the above thread, tore open the box to find...

an ADSL Wireless Modem.

Totally suffering buyers remorse now - why? why, cruel world? why didn't I check to get a better deal for my hard earned 125 cents? why? :)

Oh, nearly forgot - thanks OP, very nice one indeed.

Are they all gone in Midleton? Would save me a trip down if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 vimes

Are they all gone in Midleton? Would save me a trip down if so.

When I left - 15:30-ish - there were six of the cable models remaining, none of the ADSL. There were also two of the USB doo-dads, at €9.28 apiece.

doo-dads?

doo-dads?

Belkin USB WiFi dongles - most are just "stick it into the side of the laptop" type, but one (in a slightly scruffy box) had a stand to stand it upright and a usb cable.

Will be interesting to find out if these Belkin units are capable of being jailbroken with the WRT54 firmware - that could be fun - anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Belkin USB WiFi dongles - most are just "stick it into the side of the laptop" type, but one (in a slightly scruffy box) had a stand to stand it upright and a usb cable.

Will be interesting to find out if these Belkin units are capable of being jailbroken with the WRT54 firmware - that could be fun - anyone know?

ya mean dd-wrt? check supported belkin models here
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Belkin

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

anyone come across these in other tescos yet?

None in Wilton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭shnaek

None in Paul street

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

None in Clare Hall :(

And on my current shopping list too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Didnt see in arthurs quay or coonagh (limerick)

Sorry so many of you went on fruitless searches. I guess these must have been one lot of these found during a stocktake or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Pity, I could do with one and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Why didn't you buy the 10 of them and put them on donedeal?

Or didn't you have €12.50 on you? :)

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Why didn't you buy the 10 of them and put them on donedeal?

Or didn't you have €12.50 on you? :)

I keep picking up 100% functional router/modems like the Eircom Netopia for free -I'm a dumpster diver- so I couldn't really see the resale possibility of these. Like who hasn't got a couple of something as good as these already? And even if they were sellable as they are "brand new in box", I thought there would be many in Tescos around the country still flogging them at €1.25 so who would buy mine?

I just couldn't resist getting 2 shiny wrapped boxes at that price for a giggle - getting the 1TB drive as a surprise was just an even bigger giggle! And I like returning the favour to fellow Boardsies by posting up a Bargain Alert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement