Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuring Payment for Consultancy Work

Options
  • 13-09-2012 1:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of setting up a consultancy company and just wondering what people think is the best way to ensure payment. I.e. what's the stop the business I work with listening to what I have to say and then denying that I gave them any help at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

No guarantees that you can get a customer to pay, you need to research your customers before engaging.

Best way to ensure everyone is clear on what should be paid and when is to have a clear contract that specifies what will be done and when it should be paid for. Having a process of sign off on smaller deliverables is important to checkpoint their satisfactions with the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

ontour2 is dead on. You need to make sure they can actually pay by getting references and doing a credit check.
    If you do not have a formal contract or written terms of engagement, at the very least you should write to them stating/confirming all that has been agreed, Work to be done, timescales, payment terms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Remember, once you have left the premises, clients can be very remiss in sending the final payment.

Get a deposit of at least 20% before you start the job. Always deliver what the client wants plus some.

Be very wary of charging on a 'percentage of savings' basis. They can be very difficult to ascertain.

Advertisement