Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary work with animals

Options
  • 13-09-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

I've been googling all morning but wondered if you guys could help. I'm looking to get onto the Level 5 Veterinary Nursing course up at St Johns for next year (Applied too late this year) and in the meantime wanted to get some work experience in this area to boost my chances for it. I'm 25 so considered a mature student and from the UK making my qualifications a little off for what the basic would be over here so work experience is what I feel is needed for me.

I'm already doing odd days at a pet store in the city centre but there seems to be quite a few volunteers there over the week and so there isn't really much to be done. I've rang around quite a few veterinary surgeries but all either have filled their slots with people already on the course or you are required to be insured by the college.

I'm also starting an evening course in Animal Welfare at St Johns on the 19th to boost my chances. I've emailed the regular places such as the ACS and even Fota and I'm hoping to hear something back from them soon.

Would any of you know of any places where voluntary work could be done that doesn't require being insured/not too far out of cork? I'm in Blarney and don't drive so it would be all buses for me.

Thanks alot :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I would say Fota Wildlife Park is your best bet and they have a train station there as well seen that you dont have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hi, I know someone in the acs so I shall ask them. As far as I know there would be no reason why you could not.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bingie

Fota literally emailed me back after you posted Rhys - It seems it's not something they offer. Going to keep searching though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

bingie wrote: »

Fota literally emailed me back after you posted Rhys - It seems it's not something they offer. Going to keep searching though.
    Have you tried glansillagh in glanmire?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

I don't know if it's accessible via public transport as it's out by Mallow but the donkey sanctuary are always looking for volunteers.

• Advertisement

I shall Pm...Just incase anyone is interested aslo in birds of prey check out their Facebook page, offering a fab oppurtunity for someone to learn about them..Great crowd up there

Sorry i am a pleb.. Burren Bird of Prey Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

bingie wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been googling all morning but wondered if you guys could help. I'm looking to get onto the Level 5 Veterinary Nursing course up at St Johns for next year (Applied too late this year) and in the meantime wanted to get some work experience in this area to boost my chances for it. I'm 25 so considered a mature student and from the UK making my qualifications a little off for what the basic would be over here so work experience is what I feel is needed for me.

I'm already doing odd days at a pet store in the city centre but there seems to be quite a few volunteers there over the week and so there isn't really much to be done. I've rang around quite a few veterinary surgeries but all either have filled their slots with people already on the course or you are required to be insured by the college.

I'm also starting an evening course in Animal Welfare at St Johns on the 19th to boost my chances. I've emailed the regular places such as the ACS and even Fota and I'm hoping to hear something back from them soon.

Would any of you know of any places where voluntary work could be done that doesn't require being insured/not too far out of cork? I'm in Blarney and don't drive so it would be all buses for me.

Cork Dog Action Welfare Group
    http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/
    Glansillagh Animal Rescue have horses,dogs and a huge Pig.They are based in glanmire,not sure if they are still going as it was a couple of years since I was last down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

The guide dogs at the end of the Model Farm road/start of Ballincollig?

Advertisement