Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No clothes = Jail

• 13-09-2012 2:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

So this guy keeps getting put in prison because he believe in the right to walk around naked. What are your views? I really couldn't care less if people walk around naked or not, it certainly shouldn't be a crime!
    Would you worry if a naked man walked past your kids school, minding his own business? So they've seen a dick - is that a big deal?
    I feel sorry for the guy, might get out there and protest naked after work!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/13/naked-rambler-back-to-prison

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Hey Naked Rambler how's it hanging? Actually nevermind, I can see for myself."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

He needs to move to a naked community somewhere.

I do not need to see that walking down the road.

If I saw him near a school, id more than likely go mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "Hey Naked Rambler how's it hanging? Actually nevermind, I can see for myself."

You deserve jail for giving me that mental imagery !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I think he's got a right to personal freedom, but I also think that other people have a right not to be confronted by his bollocks, and the vast majority of people would probably be offended or uncomfortable even though it is just the human body. I think the real issue is with kids being exposed to this. I'd say it is more about the fact that if you made it legal for him to walk around naked, even though he would be minding his own business, there would be legal complexities when someone exposes themselves deliberately for personal sexual gratification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

*mentions public breast feeding to stoke up an argument*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What a terrible terrible joke.... Please leave

NEVER!!!!!!!!

You're just jealous. Jealous I tells ya!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I think he's got a right to personal freedom, but I also think that other people have a right not to be confronted by his bollocks, and the vast majority of people would probably be offended or uncomfortable even though it is just the human body. I think the real issue is with kids being exposed to this. I'd say it is more about the fact that if you made it legal for him to walk around naked, even though he would be minding his own business, there would be legal complexities when someone exposes themselves deliberately for personal sexual gratification.

Did you never see naked people when you were a kid? Never bothered me in changing rooms or foreign beaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

At least he's not a slave to fashion, unless he likes prison overalls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Based on that article, the police are trying their best NOT to arrest him but he is insisting. They offered him 3 different options to avoid arrest and none was acceptable. The police are happy to let him ramble naked, just not near schools and playgrounds. This seems a very reasonable request.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Did you never see naked people when you were a kid? Never bothered me in changing rooms or foreign beaches.

How about when you were playing in the school yard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Read that as stroke and thought "That didn't take long"

mauzo wrote: »
    How about when you were playing in the school yard?

No, but I'd imagine I'd just giggle and point, not run over and try and suck him off or whatever parents are worried about

Edit: Then again I was a strange kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

He's no threat to society and is minding his own business. He's also a former Royal Marine. As corny as this sounds, he probably risked his life on more than a few occasions for his country.

F*ck this what about the children attitude. Some randomer's dangler isn't going to start attacking people who get too close to it.

I've seen plenty of nudity where I would expect to see it, such as the places you have mentioned. I'm not saying it would mess them up, but I would say that if you allow this guy to be naked near a school for example, how can you then turn around and prosecute a guy who indecently exposes himself for sexual reasons to a child near a school? It's the reality of the world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

No problem with nudity at all, but I cant imagine I'd be too comfortable sitting on a packed bus and that bloke sitting next to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tool tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Thread needs a poll :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Victimless "crimes" should be totally abolished, I look forward to a day when the only thing that lands you in prison is hurting another person against their will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Agreeing with mauzo. There are places for people to be naked.
    As for the argument "you see naked people in changing rooms or nudist beaches", yes that's because you willingly bring your child there.
    A parent should not have to be watching the area around a school "just in case a naked person decides to strut by".

• Advertisement

So what if a naked guy is near a school though. I mean what percentage of people are paedophiles? Should we really let them dictate the way the world is run?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭RossyG

If he went into a pub or sat on a bus like that, I wouldn't want to use the seat afterwards.

On the plus side, you could use him as a temperature gauge.

And on really cold days, as a cheese grater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

This actually seems like a tough question, but the only thing that seems abundantly clear to me is that prison is not the answer. If the only two choices they can come up with are prison and letting him roam freely then he'll just have to roam freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

It was probably aload of men who are closet homosexuals who complained to police about this guy, in the fear that they might be outed when they get a raging horn when they see the naked rambler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

article wrote:
    Williamson told Gough, who has spent most of the last six years in solitary confinement in Scottish jails after repeatedly being convicted of breach of the peace following complaints about his nakedness, that he had behaved with arrogance and self-indulgence.

He spent nearly 6 years in solitary confinement for walking around naked :eek:

Clearly, he has psychological issues.
    He could be suffering from depression.
    With depression men get mad and women get sad, so he could be engaging in this low level passive aggression against society/the courts system as a cry for help.

So what if a naked guy is near a school though. I mean what percentage of people are paedophiles? Should we really let them dictate the way the world is run?

No, but should we take the risk of a child getting abused or somebody being traumatised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

boobs good,hairy bollox not so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

he's just being a dick,
    an aul bollix
    a knob
    etc etc...

No, but should we take the risk of a child getting abused or somebody being traumatised?

Yes, we should

• Advertisement

I always get the impression that Scotland is a bit more puritanical than the rest of the UK, and that he'll spend the rest of his days being regularly locked up there.

We should start a campaign "Free the bollock naked 1".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I always get the impression that Scotland is a bit more puritanical than the rest of the UK, and that he'll spend the rest of his days being regularly locked up there.

That's a terrible name. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh no! A child might see a naked person and then...well nothing really. You'd swear by people's attitudes to nudity that we weren't all fncking naked anyway.

I see no specific problem with someone choosing to walk around with their clothes off. Though there is a public health issue with people's bits touching and rubbing off things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Sure by this logic if every pedophile walked around naked they'd be much easier to catch. As for children being traumatised by the sight of naked adults, I think this is really a bit over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

ejmaztec wrote: »

Nah... it has to be "Free Willy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

haha, that's what i was thinking. poor guy. :p

• Advertisement

Kurz wrote: »
    Sure by this logic if every pedophile walked around naked they'd be much easier to catch. As for children being traumatised by the sight of naked adults, I think this is really a bit over the top.

Look I think he's got the right to personal freedom, I'm just saying that it's a bit much to have kids confronted by it and the legal side of things could get incredibly tricky as people try to define the level of nudity that is accepted and the circumstances or intentions in which it occurred. This guy would probably never do anything other than mind his own business, but there are plenty of others who would. In fairness to the cops, they have tried to accommodate him and he just wants it all his own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

If you're Rosanna Whatsername, no clothes = a six-figure sum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Scotland, not the nicest climate to be fluting around in yer pelt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    If you're Rosanna Whatsername, no clothes = a six-figure sum.
    She wasn't insisting on turning up to court with no clothes on or ignoring repeated requests by police to stop rambling about naked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

RossyG wrote: »
    If he went into a pub or sat on a bus like that, I wouldn't want to use the seat afterwards.

On the plus side, you could use him as a temperature gauge.

And on really cold days, as a cheese grater.

I believe naturist etiquette is to carry around a small towel to sit on, they have no objection to basic hygiene.

• Advertisement

As his name's Steve, that would sound more like an invitation than a campaign slogan.:P

Thats a ridiculous argument. If this guy was let swan through schools and playgrounds with his junk on show, firstly there would be children that are terrified. Many children havent seen nudity before, not even on their parents so it would be very strange to see a man on the street with his penis out.

Just because you believe nudity is natural and did you no harm, does not mean every parent raises their child that way.

The whole 'oh it never did me any harm' argument should be abolished.

They didnt have car seats when my mum was a baby, did her no harm. Sure we'll just get rid of them altogether.

Just because you may have pointed and laughed, and not 'sucked him off' as you put it, does not mean every other child would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

mauzo wrote: »
    Thats a ridiculous argument. If this guy was let swan through schools and playgrounds with his junk on show, firstly there would be children that are terrified. Many children havent seen nudity before, not even on their parents so it would be very strange to see a man on the street with his penis out.

Just because you believe nudity is natural and did you no harm, does not mean every parent raises their child that way.

The whole 'oh it never did me any harm' argument should be abolished.

They didnt have car seats when my mum was a baby, did her no harm. Sure we'll just get rid of them altogether.

Just because you may have pointed and laughed, and not 'sucked him off' as you put it, does not mean every other child would have.

What did people sit on then? :rolleyes:

Kolido wrote: »
    What did people sit on then? :rolleyes:

Their holes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

He spent nearly 6 years in solitary confinement for walking around naked :eek:

Clearly, he has psychological issues.
    He could be suffering from depression.
    With depression men get mad and women get sad, so he could be engaging in this low level passive aggression against society/the courts system as a cry for help.

Did you read the article? He won't accept help from social workers who want to psychologically assess his for things like that, that's why he's in jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Fuken idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Did you read the article? He won't accept help from social workers who want to psychologically assess his for things like that, that's why he's in jail.

Oh, well if he isn't hurting anybody and won't accept any help then we'd better fúck him in jail for the rest of his life.

Zab wrote: »
    Oh, well if he isn't hurting anybody and won't accept any help then we'd better fúck him in jail for the rest of his life.

Well here's the thing: it's pretty much a thing of "try not to show your bits and bobs to kids".
    Most places wouldn't be fine with a man or woman strolling around naked in public. If he really feels he should, then get himself to somewhere that will allow him to.

I'm not hurting anyone carrying around a sign that says "I think about raping children" but that would also be a thing I should be locked up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

what? the carrying around the sign, or the thinking about it...

what? the carrying around the sign, or the thinking about it...

Carrying around the sign. Just some words. Just like it's someone's bollocks on display.

• Advertisement
Advertisement