Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripplecom in Kildare

• 13-09-2012 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Any Ripplecom users in Kildare that could let me know how they are finding the service?

I need good latency and a solid connection for online gaming primarily but I am interested in all feedback from Kildare area only.

I was thinking of getting the 8mb home package.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Mullins07 wrote: »
    Any Ripplecom users in Kildare that could let me know how they are finding the service?

I need good latency and a solid connection for online gaming primarily but I am interested in all feedback from Kildare area only.

I was thinking of getting the 8mb home package.

Hi Mullins07.

What part of Kildare are you in? Ripplecom took over Ice Broadband, which covered many parts of Kildare. The quality of service with Ice was not good and speeds were not as advertised. As for customer service (Ice) forget it. So far I have not seen any positive comments about them for the county.

I live in tha Naas area and I have Digiweb's Metro service, which is giving me close to 30MB for €49.95 per month (includes anytime phone service too). The latency is good and perfect for gaming. However there is a 100GB cap on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Just to note that as far as I know, Mullins07 is interested in the Grange Hill mast outside Kildare town. This was never part of the Ice network. It was originally Callidus Telecom, which became Omnitel, who then merged with Amocom to form Ripplecom. Ripplecom then bought the remnants of Ice (and others too I'm sure).

As mentioned in PM, I'm on the Grange mast and have decent speed, stability and latency, but I don't use it for gaming so I can't comment on that. If you let me know what server you'll be connecting to I can give sample pings.

The biggest issue I have is jitter; i.e. packet delay variation. No idea how that would affect gaming though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 backless

Hey Dero,

I was just wondering, where in Kildare are you? I'm on the Rathbride Side of Kildare, halfway between Milltown and Kildare (Think around Fr. Moores well) and have to make a move on getting set up.
    Trying to find providers of a decent service in the location we're in is proving hard because it's one of those "inbetween" addresses, ie, between the townlands and the address can be interpreted as both Milltown (closest) and Kildare (Rathbride - Postal add.)

I have line of sight of the Grange mast and of Dunmurry Hill.

Did you research the providers much before you got hooked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Hi.
    I'm way out near Suncroft, so much farther from the mast (~12km), but still with line of sight to the mast. I have been connected to that mast for a long time now, well before it was Ripplecom, and before Eircom would even consider DSL on a line as long as mine (~7km from the exchange), so there weren't many options to research. I did consider Leinster Broadband, but I don't think they're any better. My wife works in Allen, and they had LBB for a while, but they could never be contacted when there was a problem.

From where you are, you should be able to get a perfect signal from Grange, so it's worth a shot. The service I get is OK; better than I'd get with Eircom, or any mobile midband option, but still leaves a lot to be desired compared to what's available in most towns via DSL/cable etc.

I dream that someday fibre will be ubiquitous throughout this country...

Heck, even if the likes of Ripplecom could access affordable fibre for backhaul it would be a huge improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 backless

Yeah, the services are pretty much in the stone age as far as the networks are concerend. Lack of planning and thinking through everything I think, I mean, some of the newer estates in Newbridge arent wired to take cable so that's UPC ruled out for a lot of people in one of our biggest towns.

I'd say we'll go with ripplecom to be honest. For reading up about user's accounts of the service it seems to be pretty reliable and all and it's not as if I'd be needing it for anything too important.
    We need to get it in because my girlfriend is starting a course soon and a siginificant portion of it will be online tutorials, apart from that it'll be the usual; music, TV and if I can get the xbox fixed, media streaming and possibly some gaming.
    Going from a tech heavy house to where we are (connected by **** all mobile signal) was a bit of a bump, looking forward to being able to use the internet at home again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement