Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ios6 features

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    I have passbook and when I open it the only option I am getting is 'App Store' down the bottom. When i hit that it brings me to the App Store but nothing comes up :confused:
    I thought passbook was something to do with online payments like a virtual wallet or something. Kinda disappointed to install it and see it just stuff that is of not much use yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tunesmiff

It would appear they have enabled the following for Ireland with the GM build:

Siri can now search for local restaurants (with table bookings possible!), stores, shopping malls, businesses. I'm in Galway and have been able to pinpoint random businesses around town just by asking where it is.

Siri can also check for directions nationwide, fully integrated with the turn-by-turn map features.

Siri can Tweet and Facebook post on your behalf as well, but that was in the Beta builds too.

--

I'd also note regarding the official Apple list that it specifically only lists features that are covered 100% in the territories listed. It is not a complete coverage list. For instance, Dublin is in 3D, so is London, and numerous other global cities. They're rolling these things out gradually. The same goes for the other features as well, Siri in particular isn't 100% hooked into everything just yet but with local search and such now working at least it's starting to get useful.

Regarding Passbook, it itself is an app that will collect the tickets/boarding passes/coupons that normally would reside within the different apps on the device, eg. the Starbucks app, Aer Lingus' app, Ryan Air, etc. etc. But it relies on those app vendors to update their app to include the hook functionality. It should be pretty useful once the apps get up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Dades wrote: »
    I thought passbook was something to do with online payments like a virtual wallet or something. Kinda disappointed to install it and see it just stuff that is of not much use yet.

You are mixing up passbook with NFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,335 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So we are losing twitter integration from the current IOS ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So we are losing twitter integration from the current IOS ?

No. Will have both Facebook & Twitter integration. Can drag down and tweet/update facebook status from notification centre or share photos or web pages via Twitter or Facebook with a couple of touches of the screen. Tis cool.

• Advertisement

For anyone with Passbook who wants to see what the different vouchers/passes look like you can go here and create your own: http://www.passsource.com on your iPhone running IOS6 with Passbook installed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Arghhhh iphone 4 doesn't support turn by turn navigation.

Bigcheeze wrote: »

Another big surprise.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Monthly fee to use Passbook :confused:

http://www.passsource.com/pricing.php

• Advertisement

Where did you see that? I used it yesterday in Dublin. I would much prefer my TomTom app, but Apple Maps turn by turn was working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Where did you see that? I used it yesterday in Dublin. I would much prefer my TomTom app, but Apple Maps turn by turn was working.

As in you had street level sat-nav style view ? Mine gives directions but not street level.

As in you had street level sat-nav style view ? Mine gives directions but not street level.

Apologies. Wouldn't call it 'street level' but the first post just said 'turn by turn' isn't supported.....but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tunesmiff

I Am Kong! wrote: »

That's just passsource offering a service for small businesses to create passes their customers cluld use with passbook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I Am Kong! wrote: »

I find it amazing how people misinterpret things.

That's for developers

You are mixing up passbook with NFC.
    Not when when I said payments, I meant I just thought it stored other stuff like card details - kinda like a wallet. I don't mean you'd wave it around NFC style to buy things - but you might use it to buy online. No matter - it's dead to me now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

murpho999 wrote: »
    I find it amazing how people misinterpret things.

That's for developers

You find it amazing that people aren't infallible can make mistakes?

I find that amazing.

One feature Boardies might enjoy is now you can upload images to websites using Safari. So if posting an image online, updating a profile pic, etc. you get asked to choose to take a pic or choose from camera roll.

A simple bloody thing but it was sorely missed.

Also I'm liking the incoming call feature where you can shut the call off and immediately text the caller a standard or custom message!

Dades wrote: »
    One feature Boardies might enjoy is now you can upload images to websites using Safari. So if posting an image online, updating a profile pic, etc. you get asked to choose to take a pic or choose from camera roll.

A simple bloody thing but it was sorely missed.

Also I'm liking the incoming call feature where you can shut the call off and immediately text the caller a standard or custom message!

+1

Dead handy when driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

unnamed wrote: »
    Hi,

Just to let people know:

iOS 6 DOES have turn by turn direction in Ireland, including Siri support, "Get directions home", "Are we there yet?" etc, and Traffic information.
    iOS 6 DOES have Siri support for restaurants/POIs in Ireland
    iOS 6 DOES have some 3D maps for Ireland (well Dublin City Centre does). In general, Irish maps aren't great.
    iOS 6 DOES have facebook and twitter integration in Ireland.

iOS 6 DOES NOT have Siri Support for Cinema Listings in Ireland, but you can ask it about movies in general.

Few posters have said this, but how come Apple don't have them as supported on the official page? It's strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

DubDJ wrote: »
    Few posters have said this, but how come Apple don't have them as supported on the official page? It's strange.
    The Facebook and Twitter integration is Siri integration. Siri isn't supported in Ireland, so none of the Siri stuff is down as being supported. I'm sure however that the other iOS wide integration will be there, and if Siri can understand your accent, most of the non-local specific functionality will work on that too.

According to Apple everything but 3D Maps (Flyover) is available in Ireland. In relation to Siri nothing seems to be supported but then again it hasn't been localised for Ireland yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Ward670

For anyone with the GM, When you click on someones facebook username in the contacts app, does it go to their profile in the app or just your homepage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

According to Apple everything but 3D Maps (Flyover) is available in Ireland. In relation to Siri nothing seems to be supported but then again it hasn't been localised for Ireland yet.

3D flyover is available in Dublin as seen here...

220755.jpg
    Ward670 wrote: »
    For anyone with the GM, When you click on someones facebook username in the contacts app, does it go to their profile in the app or just your homepage

It goes to their timeline in the facebook app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

installing GM now, looking forward to the new features

Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously they don't list it because it's not fully covered in Ireland. Also I love the Do Not Disturb symbol in the task bar. I was wondering how they'd let you know just in case you turned it on for good.

220755.jpg

I cant seem to get 3d flyover to work anywhere, have tried citied like new york etc. any tips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

220755.jpg
    Ward670 wrote: »

Is Google maps on the app store.

We don't want people going to a hair salon thinking its the zoo!

ah so that photo is from the google maps app not the apple maps app on ios6 ok cool! thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

srumball wrote: »
    ah so that photo is from the google maps app not the apple maps app on ios6 ok cool! thanks

No that's the apple maps app. I presume Google maps is available as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement