Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitten - food recommendations :)

• 13-09-2012 2:32pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just adopted a cat this week and am loving being a pet owner :) Oreo is a 4-month old domestic short hair, beautiful temperament and incredibly loving. He was hit by a car when he was younger and had half his tail removed and suffered leg and lip injuries but is thriving and we are very blessed to have him.

I'm just wondering about something that kitten owners might be able to help me with. Can someone recommend me the best kitten dry food please? I have heard too much sale spiel from various pet stores over the last few days. We are feeding him maxi zoo's select gold kitten food right now but if anyone can recommend a better brand, I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hi, what a beautiful cat. I feed both my adult cats Royal Canin pure feline. I hear that the Royal Canin dry kitten food is excellent as well. I changed to the Royal Canin as the Hills dry food was making one of my chaps nauseous. I get my stuff from zooplus.ie. Hope that helps, good luck with puss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I believe applaws do a kitten version of their dry food. Meowing heads is another brand to look at. Orijen don't do a kitten version but claim their food is suitable for all ages. Personally I'd be happy to feed any of these brands. Avoid anything with cereal or meat and animal derivatives as the first ingredient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I tend to go for royal canin pure feline beauty, my babies love it and it gives a fantastic shine to their coats. Im finding it difficult to locate at the moment though unfortunately so Im using royal canin skin and coat (i think). They arent as mad about it but it still makes them shine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Zooplus do the Royal Canin beauty, I get the pure feline slimness. I've tried my cats on Orijen and Porta 21 and other grain free dry foods, the problem is no matter how slowly I introduce it to their diet, both my cats get upset tummies. They do need fibre even if its just some wheat germ on the wet food. I've found the RC to be the most reliable and my 2 love it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Whiskas do a kitten version,and they do lovely kitten milks,or IAMS or Science Diet,do kitten version cruchies..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

I feed my cat Orijen. I think they r the best dry food for cats. U can get it on zooplus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Personally I don't like Royal canin at all. Not for dogs or cats, they've changed the recipes (without warning of course) and the food is just loaded with grains now. I use Select Gold (hair and skin for the glossy shine) and Applaws (grain-free so no farting from my notoriously bad farting cat!) for their kibble meal, but they also get a raw feed every day of chicken hearts, beef heart chunks, chunks of pork and chopped up chicken wings. Their teeth are pearly white from chewing:D And I'm feeding six kittens and four adult cats on this

Edit: Forgot to add, he's absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I feed my cat Royal Canin dry food and also the Royal Canin pouches. I have used Select Gold before and was very happy with that too. It is german and the germans are very fussy about the food they give to their pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I'm sure someone's said it already but Science Diet is the best! Bit expensive but if you only have one it's totally affordable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    I'm sure someone's said it already but Science Diet is the best! Bit expensive but if you only have one it's totally affordable!

If you're talking about Hills Science plan, this is another food that has changed its recipe lately. The bag has 'New improved taste' written on the front, but if you check the ingredients, they've added wheat to the mix and upped the amount of maize in it

• Advertisement
Advertisement