Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIW 3 bed semi in Cork with outdoor pool

• 13-09-2012 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ashley-house-douglas-road-douglas-cork-city/2103393

Sometime just because you have spent money on your house, it may not add to the price. This one has a swimming pool in a shed in the back garden. It certainly puts me off straight away as I would want a hefty discount to put right all the (ahem) improvements. EA seems to have added a price premium.

Must be something in the air in the area, IIRC there was another house in nearby Ballinlough (?) for sale about 12 months ago where a tennis court took up the entire back garden.

Any takers at €330k?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

bjak wrote: »
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/ashley-house-douglas-road-douglas-cork-city/2103393

Sometime just because you have spent money on your house, it may not add to the price. This one has a swimming pool in a shed in the back garden. It certainly puts me off straight away as I would want a hefty discount to put right all the (ahem) improvements. EA seems to have added a price premium.

Must be something in the air in the area, IIRC there was another house in nearby Ballinlough (?) for sale about 12 months ago where a tennis court took up the entire back garden.

Any takers at €330k?

I thought that was a tennis court alright!! I remember that house! The one above has an awful backyard with that monstrosity of a swimming pool there - it doesn't even look fancy! It's a shed as you so rightly put it! What a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Haha that place is a hoot. Pure Celtic Tiger era; 'oh won't you come around to our pool party on Saturday'.

In theory a swimming pool does add value to a house, but only to a buyer who likes swimming every day and will actually make enough use of the pool. And for that to happen it has to be a swimming pool that you can actually swim in- i.e. a minimum of 20 metres in length so you can do laps. The thing in their back garden isn't a swimming pool, it is more or a kids paddling pool for playing in and housing your own collection of rubber ducks.

And because they are not cheap to heat so you would want to be using it a decent bit to get value from it. Even if you are relying on the sun to heat it it will still need lots of expensive chemicals. Also I'd imagine your insurance would go up to cover the cost of a leak which could, over time, undermine the foundations of the house.

The only use a pool that size could have is if you were running swimming lessons for kids from it. In which case the council would be tapping you for commercial rates and the neighbours might not be impressed with different cars parking up every hour.

So OP their target market is someone who is a swimming instructor for kids. Or someone who likes swimming in an oversized puddle. So I would say in this instance you could apply a hefty discount to fixing their "ahem" improvements :D It'll still be on the market in 6 months time, wait them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Did ye read the full ad "last re-wired in 1983", FFS why advertise the fact that the house needs to be gutted and modernized, does the vendor actually want to sell the place at all I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did ye read the full ad "last re-wired in 1983", FFS why advertise the fact that the house needs to be gutted and modernized, does the vendor actually want to sell the place at all I wonder?

While its not a great idea, I can see why they did say it. 1983 will have PVC coated wiring and probably a breaker board* rather than perishing rubber wiring and a cartridge fuse board. Its pretty far down the list of things someone is going to be interested in, but I'm sure someone else cares. Its something I checked where I'm buying anyway.

*I have no idea when this became compulsory, but my parents 1985 build has one from new.

Advertisement