Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to stay - Glenveagh, Errigal, Sliabh Sneachta

Options
  • 13-09-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Am heading up your direction for a weekend's hiking.
    Can locals please advise where to stay - which village and which B&B or hostel.
    Also, if you know where's good to have a chance of seeing the golden eagles, let me know too (PM if you prefer).
    Thanks.
    P.S. Up Mayo !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Letterkenny is probably your best bet, halfway between Errigal/Glenveagh & Sliabh Sneachta.
    As for where to stay, id leave that up to others from the area..

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

What retalivity said.

Though this does depend on which Sliabh Sneact you are talking about - There are two in Donegal; One in the Derryveagh mountains and one in Inishowen. I'll assume you mean the one in the Derryveagh mountains.

Either way, Letterkenny wouldn't be a bad bet. Letterkenny to Dunlewey is about 25miles. Letterkenny to Glenveagh would be about 15miles. Take your pick as to where to stay.

The Gweedore area would be a good alternative place to base yourself. There are plenty of B&B's in Gweedore. Teach Campbell, I can recommend.

There is a hostel in Dunlewey that might suit your needs. It is popular with walkers and seems to get good reviews on trip advisor

In terms of seeing a golden eagle - you will be lucky. The best advice I can give is to contact the national park directly.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Thanks for the answers folks.
    Yeah, I didn't mean Inishowen.

Advertisement