Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you have to do to become class rep?

Options
  • 13-09-2012 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

How do you get elected as class rep?

What makes a good class rep?

how often do you organize class parties etc?

Is it a lot of work ?

What kind of person is generally the rep ...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Think you have to get a nomination form from the SU. I've no idea what a good class rep does - Mine were no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

You have to be unafraid in addressing a large lecture theatre full of people when you're making announcements, that's for sure.
    And of course, doing that, you need to be able to project your voice, or at least have the resourcefulness of making sure there's a mic present beforehand. And speak clearly!!

A lot of people rely on their reps for parties, so be sure they're arranged. Depending on your course there may be several reps, and they may take their turns on who organises nights out, or who helps academic questions/problems, etc. If your year has a Class trip, you'll also be in charge of making a poll as to what date people would like to do it, and book the flights, handle accom. bookings, etc etc.

To be a good rep you also need to know the layout, format and workings of your course very well, especially module choices and their repercussions. This of course changes a lot depending on whatever degree it is you're doing and what/how many options are available to the students.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

are they voted in on a yearly basis ?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Yes. It'll be done the week after next, you'll hear all about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

You need a well-balanced policy on abortions and miniature flags that the students will go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Like basically your encouraged to run about 2 class parties and 1 trip per semester, especially in a close knit group.

Trip in the first semseter is usually within Ireland (usually the North actually because booze is cheap). The other one is mostly UK, Edinburgh or London.

The class parties are a little tougher now there is no bar. Basically you text the ents officer (you'll meet him at rep training, his name is Heffo he's slightly unmissable) and get your class guestlisted into some night club event and you run some sort of pre-drinks. Either you put it in your place or a friends place, or you come up with some good plan. BYOB bowling in stillorgan + vengabus would be my personal advice.

The other thing you have to do is sit on coucil. Which is every second week. Theoretically on coucil you will debate and vote things based on what your class want, and you're meant to consult them. Realistically you just try and act in their best interest. Council in the past have voted on college based motions (like campaiging on fees) and national level motions (like campaigning for gay marriage). You'll also get the chance to vote for some of the higher SU positions.

All of this will taught to you at class rep training. Which is 10,000e training weekend the SU pay for. You'll get sent out to some hotel complex down the country with all the other SUs, where you will drink, eat and have sex on the SU accounts. During the day they run workshops in public speaking, welfare, counselling, ents, campaigning.

I've never done it, if you're interested I'd say its Mad Craic. But if you do run, and you do win, don't get too big for your boots (something I may have been guilty of at other times). No one really gives a ****.

Gluck

P.S

The officer in charge of class reps is Paddy Guiney, he's a grand lad.

Campaigns@ucdsu.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Demosthenes94

errlloyd wrote: »

All of this will taught to you at class rep training. Which is 10,000e training weekend the SU pay for. You'll get sent out to some hotel complex down the country with all the other SUs, where you will drink, eat and have sex on the SU accounts. During the day they run workshops in public speaking, welfare, counselling, ents, campaigning.

Run for class rep? Haha you need to sell your soul..

Just kidding forms are on www.UCDSU.ie , our class rep organised us hoodies and got us an assignment rechecked which saved our degree, so its a role that takes organisation skills, but has good rewards (we bought her a present to say thanks May) oh and I guess it'll look good on her C.V too!

10,000 quid? You sure it costs that much? Have you seen the budget? Seems like a pretty outrageous figure... :/

-Demo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

10,000 quid? You sure it costs that much? Have you seen the budget? Seems like a pretty outrageous figure... :/

-Demo

It is, but there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

-Demo

To be fair to the last few C&C officers, thats down 33% on 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Your main job as class rep is to spam everyone's email inbox with daily updates about class hoodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Has there ever been a situation where nobody wants to be class rep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

SlyBacon93 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a situation where nobody wants to be class rep?

There was this one time, with a pre-med class, and they lacked a class rep. Let's just say; there are a number of brain-damaged babies as a result of a negligent gynacologist who was part of that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There was this one time, with a pre-med class, and they lacked a class rep. Let's just say; there are a number of brain-damaged babies as a result of a negligent gynacologist who was part of that year.

We never had a class rep for our course. Nobody was arsed and we're none the worse for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Raphael wrote: »

Jesus Christ that budget is a discgrace. The figures given for most of those activities are outragious. Telephone and postage over 16k, 12k on congress, 10,500 on training reps (this is not a health and safety role - a 1 hour orientation should be enough for a cash strapped union) 111k on 5 stipend (volunteer) officer wages!! 50k on the campus newspaper!! Almost 40k listed under 3 seperate headings from the campaigns and communications office that seem vaugley similar and at 40k, value for money? (publications / promotions, publicity & marketing / campus campaign costs) and none of their activities are in any way money generating, nothing. SU Shop and Bars losing money, living off grants for the university that seems to be pissed away in bars and entered under "printing costs" to justify the hemerging of money - I'd say about half of the money minimum is being siphoned off for personal use - the union is an absolute disgrace and their budget is completely unacceptable or justifiable. The university should stop funding it entirely.

OP, if you end up head of the student union, please introduce a finance department, where every activity of every aspect of the union must request that the college be billed directly instead of giving departments spending money. Give small petty cash but all major purchases must have an invoice presented to finance office before cheques (and never cash) is issued and everything over 5k must be discussed by management and can be refferd back to make them find better value. You'll soon find that they couldn't spend some of the figures presented if they tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 transvestite

look like this
    5912329641a7038802778ml.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

edgal wrote: »
    How do you get elected as class rep?

What makes a good class rep?

how often do you organize class parties etc?

Is it a lot of work ?

What kind of person is generally the rep ...?

1) You go to the SU, get a form and get it signed by 10(? Can't remember the number) people from your course. Then you give it back to the SU. Then the people in your course vote on who they want if more forms have been submitted than places available.

2) I never thought it was a lot of work. And I only organised 1 class party in my first year. However I had a group of about 6 friends who were in the same course and who I used to go out with every week. So about every second week I would stand up and make an announcement of where we were going, never called it a class party but it worked nicely for getting a good bunch out.

3) I often got lumped with additional work. For example
    Lecturer: I need someone to arrange a date for when our exam will be/collect papers...
    Student 1: Gubbie will do it. She's the class rep
    Gubbie: Eh no, I was class rep every year but this year
    Student 2: No, you're our unelected class rep
    Lecturer: Great Gubbie will do it
    But we were a small class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

You really need to be able to handle people not showing up on time for things, not paying for trips, hoodies etc. on time, signing up for things then vanishing into thin air, generally messing you around. It's a crap aspect of the job, but hopefully the good experiences will outweigh that :)

Our class rep for our minor last year nearly lost her mind over the hoodies. I felt bad for her as people were really hassling her for them, then not paying for them or collecting them. You just really need to be able to brush it off and not get too infuriated with people being a**hats!

Advertisement