Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newbie, looking for advice

• 13-09-2012 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a learner permit fir a bike (did theory pre 2006).
    Decided when younger to wait for my first bike till I was that little bit more mature, and now have begun looking into it.
    I love the look of the Honda Bros 400 but am thinking this would be too much poke??
    What would be the best starter bike? Like bikes like the Honda, Kawasaki ZZr, that sort of style.
    Something reliable, easy to run, and not cost a fortune on insurance.
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Have a look at Bandits, SV's, Fazers, Hornets which are all in the 600cc range and are great learner bikes, but will have to be restricted. A Bros 400 may seem fast to a novice but you will quickly out grow it. Your better off getting a 600cc bike, use it for the test, and when your 2 year restriction is up, remove the restriction kit and it will feel like a new bike again!

(A Bros 400 requires restriction also AFAIK, even tho it wouldn't even be noticeable on that bike!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

I was thinking that alright bout outgrowing it but was afraid it might have been too big. Are the Bros a reliable bike. Iv been looking at an 88 one and she sounds very good. 88 is still 24yrs old at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It would be helpfull to know how tall you are and if you a big lump of a fella it would help choosing a bike alot easier. Honda Bros / CB500 is a great bike to learn on if you wanna go bigger I would take a Honda Hornet over a bandit just my choice the bandits are a good bike also.

If I was you I would go to a few bikes shops sit on them and get a feel for them, I would not be buying a 24yr bike as a 1st one all the same. Bike are pretty cheap now its a buyers market you will get a really good bike for cheap if you look around on dungdeal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Thanks,
    Im about 5' 10", skinny. Yea was looking on donedeal. A bros is something iv always wanted. Seem good money, around the 1k but can also get newer bikes for same price.

DRZ 400sm
    sex on wheels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Lorgach

Whatever type of bike you get please make sure that you drive carefully and within the limit. If you crash on on of those things you don't stand a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

Lorgach wrote: »
    Whatever type of bike you get please make sure that you drive carefully and within the limit. If you crash on on of those things you don't stand a chance.

funny you sound exactly like my mammy....and i will tell you exactly wht i tell her, i could pop a blood vessel in my head taking a crap and die there and then ..when its your time its your time...

but op best bet is to go to somewhere which has a few of the types that you want and have a bit of a sit on them see how they feel, are they comfortable to sit on, do you have to stretch to put both feet down... can you actually use the pegs without having your knees too high...these are the type of things to keep in mind as you might have a certain bike in mind but if its not comfortable to sit on then you will be in agony if you ride it for too long...

also dont worry so much about the age of the bike, condition is more important, how clean is it? has the owner kept it garaged? when was the last time the chain and sprockets replaced? also check tyres etc, find out as much as you can about the bike before buying..make a sensible decision and try not rush into the decision...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Personally I would go for a CB500 in silver very yummy or the hornet 600cc, there is also the honda super four which is bullet proof too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

eurofoxy wrote: »
    funny you sound exactly like my mammy....and i will tell you exactly wht i tell her, i could pop a blood vessel in my head taking a crap and die there and then ..when its your time its your time...

Must remember that one :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

urbanledge wrote: »
    DRZ 400sm
    sex on wheels!

Totally agree with ya. Lovely little yokes them

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a learner permit fir a bike (did theory pre 2006).
    Decided when younger to wait for my first bike till I was that little bit more mature, and now have begun looking into it.
    I love the look of the Honda Bros 400 but am thinking this would be too much poke??
    What would be the best starter bike? Like bikes like the Honda, Kawasaki ZZr, that sort of style.
    Something reliable, easy to run, and not cost a fortune on insurance.
    Thanks guys.
    No chance whatsoever you could find what you want in this thread highlighted at the top of the page ?

What you need to know about starting biking **All Learner Questions Go here!!**

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056323977

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Please post in learner thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement