Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever seen "the hat man"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Ann22, any chance you could maybe link me a couple? that thread is pretty long lol

I'll have a look Jessabell.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Marozz, thats actually one of the creepiest stories I heard about him lol, could he make out any feathures like his face ?

No. The rim of his hat cast a shadow over his face and it was dark. Scary story alright. My grandfather was big man and my grandmother said he was very shaken up.She never saw him so scared and she never doubted his story.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60093388&postcount=551

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80646906&postcount=1341

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80667295&postcount=1352

And here's mine...

Now when I think of it, my mam told me that years ago before she was married, she was going to early mass..it was still dark. She was walking down the street and became aware of a man in front of her standing still with his back pressed against the fence. She said he was extremely tall, was wearing some kind of hat and all dressed in black. She didn't look directly at him as she passed by she got an awful dose of the creeps..never again did she go to early mass on her own. I remember when she told me about this, when I was young, I didn't really understand what was so spooky..but after reading posts here about a similar figure, I do now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

This kind of story could well have inspired Slendy and his pals. Never had an experience like this myself though, but it's weird hearing about so many people who have.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Is it just me or does anyone not think the Hat man sounds like people are describing The Undertaker from WWE? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jessabell88

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does anyone not think the Hat man sounds like people are describing The Undertaker from WWE? :pac:
    :)

it does seem like that but as far as i can tell the hat man story is far older than the comic... and he actually looks nothing like slender man lol but i do see why people think it

Thanks, ann22, really appreciate you posting the links. Lol "awful does of the creeps" thats exactly what people experience when they come across the hat man... To be honest when i posted this I really didnt know if anyone would have seen it too... reading it on other forums on the net was weird enough, seeing the images of this guy but the fact that alo of people on her have experienced it too or have heard stories about it is pretty cool considering ireland is a small country. thanks for sharing Ann22

You're very welcome Jessabelle, it's a hair raiser all right:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe it's some sort of optical illusion. I think that we are always trying to decipher what we see, and make it look like something familiar. For example, I saw the lights in the sky from that space debris, and thought it was some helicopters, although there was no sound. To my eye, that's what it looked like, so, to my brain that's what it was.
    I've also heard of people who have seen this "hat man" image, different people, in different places, at different times, and one who said they also got a message from him, that scared the bejaysus out of her so much, that in school, she had to be accompanied by a friend to go down the corridor during class time, when no one else would be in the corridor, such was her fear of encountering him again.............. dunno, could have been a breakdown of some sort too, I dunno.................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Have never heard of the hat man before, but am slightly freak out now. As a child I was terrified of the Sandeman ad, and now I'm wondering if there's a reason for that? Maybe I had seen something else and just not realised it/made the connection at the time.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

jesus,that reminds me of story a guy worked with years ago,he was coming home one night and came across a strange figure/ghost like the sanderman port ad,was early 90s.totally forgot till now

screamer wrote: »
    Maybe it's some sort of optical illusion. I think that we are always trying to decipher what we see, and make it look like something familiar. For example, I saw the lights in the sky from that space debris, and thought it was some helicopters, although there was no sound. To my eye, that's what it looked like, so, to my brain that's what it was.
    I've also heard of people who have seen this "hat man" image, different people, in different places, at different times, and one who said they also got a message from him, that scared the bejaysus out of her so much, that in school, she had to be accompanied by a friend to go down the corridor during class time, when no one else would be in the corridor, such was her fear of encountering him again.............. dunno, could have been a breakdown of some sort too, I dunno.................

Screamer, almost dont want to ask but... what did he say to her lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Well, it's a long time ago now, and I don't remember the exact contents of the conversation, but seemingly, she'd been messing about with a ouja board a lot, and supposedly he told her that unless she stopped messing with it, that death would come for her..... I was a good bit younger in school than her, but it scared the bejaysus out of a lot of us, and the girl herself was changed completely after that, you could see it in her face, so I think there was something to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭daredevilfan

seen in Drogheda many times. Articles were written in the local rag and he is known as the Sandeman as he looks like the guy off the label of Sandeman bourbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sounds to me like a kind of psychocultural phenomenon along the lines of the "old hag" that scares the shít out of children. There are probably analogous characters present in different cultures which show up with the right combination of dim lighting, unfortunately placed props and credulous children!

I recall an "old hag" appearing one night when I was staying in my aunt's house in Spain. Was pretty scary, and even when I looked away and back again a few times, there she remained. However my curiosity got the better of me (or perhaps I was already anesthetized to the paranormal by then ;)) and I switched on the lights, and sure enough it was the silhouette of some clothes hanging awkwardly off a hanger or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

to be very honest, most people would have probably assumed that was a silhouette of some clothes before assuming it was an 'old hag'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If in fact people did go through all the rational explanations for phenomena before having an emotional reaction to them (and then promptly forgetting or blurring the details), then I think you would find your paranormal investigation group without much to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Dave! wrote: »
    If in fact people did go through all the rational explanations for phenomena before having an emotional reaction to them (and then promptly forgetting or blurring the details), then I think you would find your paranormal investigation group without much to investigate.

It is possible to have an emotional reaction to something and also look for rational explanations at the same time. And even more it is possible to come to a decision/conclusion about what you've seen including both emotions and rationality.

You also assume that people are frightened when they see "the hat man" I wasn't scared on most occasions, slightly bemused, does that sully the credibility of my accounts or does give them more weight than someone who was scared? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I seen a man this morning on my way to work wearing a long black coat and a black hat!!! A very real man though, I had to look twice through the rain!! he just looked so out of place!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Sharrow wrote: »
    Shadow people and the Shadowman with the hat pre date those,
    which are fairly new urban/internet myths but may well be grounded in the stories which were told about shadow people on american radio in 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_people

jessabell88 Been seen outside of houses, lurking under trees or across the road near street lights.

Do me a favour!!

This is nothing but your imagination. Hat Man. :pac:

I'm with Dave on this.

I do believe in the existence spirits etc to a degree (I've had my own experiences), but this is the stuff of fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

seen in Drogheda many times. Articles were written in the local rag and he is known as the Sandeman as he looks like the guy off the label of Sandeman bourbon.

I've never seen him and I live in Drogheda, I feel left out now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I have definitely seen him. He looked like this

42298000.jpg

And he does have something to say to you:
    The ideal Ireland that we would have, the Ireland that we dreamed of, would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit – a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and villages would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contest of athletic youths and the laughter of happy maidens, whose firesides would be forums for the wisdom of serene old age. The home, in short, of a people living the life that God desires that men should live.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I thought this 'hat man' thing was just 'local colour' on my old estate, at the foot of a hill on which a monastery and old school had been demolished, but not the small graveyard. Predictably the site was an oft-visited site of morbid fascination for us as kids, and that was where the 'farmer ghost' lived. The story must have been around before I first heard it - I would've been around seven and was told the story by a proper grown up (he was ten, double digits conveyed seniority, and he had the Star Wars Ewok Village playset) of how he'd seen the 'farmer ghost' before he moved house, on a television screen (it was off he swore) and told him something - something suitably spooky that a ten year old would make up about a 'farmer ghost'. Obviously every kid had the story of seeing it and I was intelligent enough to realise the fantastical elements in the retellings, and dismissed them as simple ghost stories. Having never seen this thing despite his nightly presence everywhere I completely dismissed it as seeing things the first time I saw it, walking through the grounds of the demolished monastery in broad daylight I saw the figure of the 'hat man', as if he'd climbed up the wall of the graveyard, looked around (perceived motion in the brim of the hat) and dropped back behind. It was only when the guy I was walking with stopped and panicked that I had to consider what I saw, he said what he saw first, same as me, and bolted home. I bravely outran him, we were about eight years old at the time.

We both saw him again, standing against a fence in the same area a while later, though this may have been misperception (surrounded by bushes, lower light), this time about ten feet away, vague features and he appeared to be smoking oddly enough. Never saw anything like it again anyway. Could possibly have been a filthy tramp. The first 'sighting' was completely black and featureless, though it was at a larger distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

I remember my Grandad telling me a story like this when I was younger. He was walking home from town late at night in the 60s or 70s, about 45min walk in North Mayo when he could sense a very tall man walking behind him. Now where we live is very secluded so there wouldn't have been anyone walking the same way as him. When Grandad picked up the pace, so did the man. I don't remember the full story but just that my Grandad was terrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

Ann22 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60093388&postcount=551

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80646906&postcount=1341

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80667295&postcount=1352

And here's mine...

Now when I think of it, my mam told me that years ago before she was married, she was going to early mass..it was still dark. She was walking down the street and became aware of a man in front of her standing still with his back pressed against the fence. She said he was extremely tall, was wearing some kind of hat and all dressed in black. She didn't look directly at him as she passed by she got an awful dose of the creeps..never again did she go to early mass on her own. I remember when she told me about this, when I was young, I didn't really understand what was so spooky..but after reading posts here about a similar figure, I do now

Now that I've read that I remember my father's aunt and cousins describing that man in the same scenario in a very different part of North Mayo, but he was smoking too. They've seen him a few times in their village.

Advertisement