Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best setup for shallow water

Options
  • 13-09-2012 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello lads,

There's a river a couple of miles from me full of brown trout at the moment. The river is very shallow maybe 1.5 to 2feet in places. I am only a beginner and tried fishing it with a spinner today. However the spinner keeps getting caught immediately on rocks on the river bed after i cast in and then iv to wade in to retrieve the spinner frightening off all the fish.

Is a spinner suitable for water this shallow? its also fairly narrow maybe 8ft wide. Should i perhaps use a float and hook? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Desailly

You might be better off trying to fly fish the river with a dry fly setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GedR

Desailly wrote: »
    You might be better off trying to fly fish the river with a dry fly setup?

Thanks for the reply desailly to be honest i was hoping to stick with my spinning rod and try to master that first. Have you any idea why the spinner was hitting the river bed is it more suitable to deeper water?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

if its really that shallow even with all the rain we have had, using spinners is probably not the best idea.
    i would try bubble and fly. its similar to spinning.
    you better get cracking though, most rivers close for brownie fishing at the end of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭GedR

dvae wrote: »
    if its really that shallow even with all the rain we have had, using spinners is probably not the best idea.
    i would try bubble and fly. its similar to spinning.
    you better get cracking though, most rivers close for brownie fishing at the end of the month.

Thanks dave that sounds like a good way of fishing it must head to the tackle shop tommorow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If there are a large number of trout in water that shallow, its likely they have migrated there from downstream/lake for spawning in a month or 2. At this time of year some pools can be stuffed with fish preparing for spawning, and many people would regard fishing for them as unsporting. At the very least I'd encourage catch-and-release of fish in these conditions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement