Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So What Is It?

• 13-09-2012 4:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A new thread, especially for those lord and lady moneybags/lucky SOB's who manage to bag something remarkable and then decide the best way to celebrate the find/purchase is to keep the rest of us in suspense.

This behaviour was pioneered by Pyongyang, the A&R member not the capital of North Korea, but is no longer exclusive to him, having Steve SI and Jack Burton also succumbed to this habit.

So, a thread just for you, use it wisely and at least the rest of us will know where you are and avoid enjoy it accordingly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A new thread, especially for those lord and lady moneybags/lucky SOB's who manage to bag something remarkable and then decide the best way to celebrate the find/purchase is to keep the rest of us in suspense.

This behaviour was pioneered by Pyongyang, the A&R member not the capital of North Korea, but is no longer exclusive to him, having Steve SI and Jack Burton also succumbed to this habit.

So, a thread just for you, use it wisely and at least the rest of us will know where you are and avoid enjoy it accordingly!

Great idea, contain this bollox in one thread & the other one can get on with business as usual :D

/unsubs thread

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've Rule of Rose, Secret of Mana (US) and Tactics Ogre 64 on the way from the states but the girl sending them is so bloody slow!

Am I doing it right?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've Rule of Rose, Secret of Mana (US) and Tactics Ogre 64 on the way from the states but the girl sending them is so bloody slow!

Am I doing it right?

NO! That post belongs in the thread that normal people post in. This is for:

"Bought something super cool there a few minutes ago, all will be revealed in due course" type ballsology :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Am I doing it right?

So, sorry Retr0,
    The fail there was you told us what it was you were bringing in.

What you are missing, principally, is the hyperbole that is typical of such posts, the sheer, mind twisting awesomeness of whatever it is you are bringing in.
    Ultra-niche-ness is also a plus, buying a copy of Darius say that no one else has ever heard of for a system no one owns and include as many abbreviations for supposed extra added value to the purchase, use abbreviations to add to the mystery, meaning everyone can understand one or two of them but the rest are impenetrable to the regular retro gamer.

Also, the time between the ordering, the shipping and the eventual arrival of the item makes it even more important, raising expectation excitement levels to unforseen heights.

An eventual customs bill that exceeds the cost of the item in the first place is not unknown and, once again, only serves to highlight the incredible and amazeballs nature of whatever it is you've bought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So what you are saying is that I should have said I was getting something amazing and then after hyping it up reveal that it's not just disappointing but not even a game and some LP by an early 90's dance act nobody has heard of or some videogame memorabilia that you could win out of a crane game in japan? I get you now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

something like the rare game I have to pick up from the mail centre that's come all the way from Poland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So what you are saying is that I should have said I was getting something amazing and then after hyping it up reveal that it's not just disappointing but not even a game and some LP by an early 90's dance act nobody has heard of or some videogame memorabilia that you could win out of a crane game in japan? I get you now!

That's my boy!

But, don't be so hard on yourself, Rule of Rose is pretty bloody great, it's rare and it's niche enough, so well done you!

something like the rare game I have to pick up from the mail centre that's come all the way from Poland?

Exactly. Hopefully if Cideys idea pays off, having all you lads corralled in here guessing at what each other bought wears thin & you all get back to normality posting in the normal thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I didn't think I was quite so guilty of this horrific trend.
    Perhaps in the past maybe, but I'm a changed man and have been fighting the good cause to get this sort of behaviour banned or at least making the guilty individuals look like plonkers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I've never seen one but im guessing its a white hole :D

• Advertisement

In fact, remove my name from that 1st post Cidey. I've been fighting the good fight to stop this behaviour and demand recognition for my good work :D

A white hole?

Only joking.

And there we have it. "So what is it?" Cat quotes have become inextricably linked with mystery GET! posts.

Mystery GET! at your peril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Only joking.

Somebody punch him out :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I think we've just encountered the middle part of the conversation

Of course, if someone's GET! turns out to be a copy of Rise of the Robots, we'll have encountered a Brown Hole....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ah come on, I'm definitely not in the top 3...

...it still didn't arrive btw ;)

Ah come on, I'm definitely not in the top 3...

...it still didn't arrive btw ;)

Yeah, me neither.
    How do you report a mod for bullying and victimisation again? :D

contact a mo......oh wait.

its the perfect crime really

• Advertisement

contact a mo......oh wait.

its the perfect crime really

Mwa ha ha ha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do you think that maybe he hasn't been posting here in a while because he has now purchased a GET! so amazing and mysterious, that he's taken not telling us to a whole new level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I've got a Pal copy of Street fighter 2 turbo, what do I win?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you think that maybe he hasn't been posting here in a while because he has now purchased a GET! so amazing and mysterious, that he's taken not telling us to a whole new level?

Thats bold :)

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Thats bold :)

I know! I felt bad typing that.

WE MISS YOU PYONG! COME BACK! :(

I know! I felt bad typing that.

WE MISS YOU PYONG! COME BACK! :(

Yeah, it's not the same when he's no here to defend himself or make it worse.

Apparently you win pity and scorn here for buying a pal copy of SF2 on the Snes.
    I, on the other hand, feel sadness as I never got into the game, so more scorn and pity here, just for different reasons.

R-type Final is better than Darius. Let's see if he comes back now.

R-type Final is better than Darius. Let's see if he comes back now.
    Or, ....
    I have a spare Darius Alpha I'm looking to trade for any MegaDrive or SNES carts.
    Anyone interested?

• Advertisement

Lads, he's not like some spiritual agent you can conjure up, like in a jap rpg, with a darius flavoured incantation.... though that would be cool....

Maybe his credit card finally exploded and took him with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

nuxxx wrote: »
    I've got a Pal copy of Street fighter 2 turbo, what do I win?

Hey, did you get that Wild Guns? Ya bol*ix! :p

Lads, he's not like some spiritual agent you can conjure up, like in a jap rpg, with a darius flavoured incantation.... though that would be cool....

Maybe his credit card finally exploded and took him with it?

Pyongyang, Pyongyang, Pyongyang!

gnaygnoyP, gnaygnoyP, gnaygnoyP

scary-mirror.jpg

Mabye he never existed at all....

Master of the Universe

FossilSays-1.jpg

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Hey, did you get that Wild Guns? Ya bol*ix! :p

Lol. Nah not yet, seems he got an off thread offer, isn't you by any chance is it? :pac:

We can hacksaw the cart in two, how does that sound

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Oh Christ, they have their own thread now. Stop encouraging them! There's only so much bandwidth the Internet has for this sort of thing :pac:

nuxxx wrote: »
    Lol. Nah not yet, seems he got an off thread offer, isn't you by any chance is it? :pac:

We can hacksaw the cart in two, how does that sound

Nope, I was only going up to €35. Should just of offered the €40 yesterday and would of been done and dusted.

Btw, you can have the back of the cart, I'll take the innards and the front.

That's exactly what he's doing! The sneaky devil!
    Mabye he never existed at all....

Ooh...weird

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Btw, you can have the back of the cart, I'll take the innards and the front.

Where do I sign?

It feels like one of those deals that will never happen anyway, so 99% sure it won't

• Advertisement

gnaygnoyP, gnaygnoyP, gnaygnoyP

scary-mirror.jpg

Amateur!

n0Yw6.jpg

Amateur!

n0Yw6.jpg

If you want something spooky, try the sally gap at 3am. That's where I'm heading in an hour or so.

Master of the Universe

If you want something spooky, try the sally gap at 3am. That's where I'm heading in an hour or so.

Which of the following is it?
    • Burying a body.
    • A drug deal.
    • An arms deal.
    • Sexy time.
    • Ghost hunting.
    • Sexy time with ghosts.

• Burying a body.
    • A drug deal.
    • An arms deal.
    • Sexy time.
    • Ghost hunting.
    • Sexy time with ghosts.

It's where Pyongy lives now, Steve was merely dropping out some shmups as the pyongster has no internet signal to let us know himself

Master of the Universe

Pyong! We were only joking when we called you Mountain lodge Man! :(

I think it's a case of the guy that saved up all his life to try the most expensive lobster dish and cried afterwards because it tasted like normal lobster. I think Pyongyang remortgaged the house to buy Darius Alpha and after playing it is still crying when he realised it was crap.

• Burying a body.
    • A drug deal.
    • An arms deal.
    • Sexy time.
    • Ghost hunting.
    • Sexy time with ghosts.

Nothing quite so interesting this time.
    I was just film some shots for my short movie. But if a ghost wants sexy time I'm always open to it:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement