Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach myself logic..?

• 13-09-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm an ex semi pro musician, and live engineer with a qualification I recieved back in the 90's before DAW's became popular. i've dabbled here and there over the years with DAW's but never to any great extent, my qualification got me a job in radio for a while, with a bit of freelance live work before i jacked the lot in about 6 years ago, and got a job in retail.

I'm also an ex workmate of Mr. Brewer (howaya head!)

I got the goo to create again so i've bought a macbook pro and was kindly given an edirol ua25 by a mate, and my missus works for apple and got me a copy of logic pro for nowt. I've also got the waves plug ins.

i'm only looking to record for my own amusment, nothing major so it'll be me playing guitar/bass and everything else programmed.

I'm just wondering if the apple training books for logic are any good? has anyone used them? i'd like to get through the basic learning curve and become efficient fairly quickly so i can get ideas in.... otherwise i'll get lazy. after that i can spend time learning the finer points.

any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Also look at musictech magazine. From time to time they release a full magazine based in logic pro tutorials.

I found 1 here I could post out to you. It's focus is on mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr. Grinder

Groove 3 are a good source of intro (to intermediate) videos for Logic. I found them very useful when I was learning it.

http://www.groove3.com/str/logic-training/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I second Groove3. Very good videos and in general I find videos to be a better way to learn a programme than books alone. It helps a lot to see someone else do something and then to copy it. That's how we learn from infancy anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

There are lots of really useful, free tutorial videos for Logic on Youtube.

This guy is probably the best.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAAFCAA1A6214F7B5&feature=plcp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Thanks for all the links and advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

My first Logic was 3.5 Gold - came with a turnip-sized dongle and an impenetrable phone-directory-sized manual with cryptic entries that would partially explain a topic and then send you off on a trail, e.g., see page 72, page 43. Although Apple actually didn't add much to Logic after they bought it - an interface tart-up and the addition of the dual channel inspector they did rewrite the manual so that it was a clear and well-explained book. So I'd say read Logic's own manual because it is quite excellent and explains all of the features of the DAW.

Advertisement