Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird power on/off issue. New PSU?

Options
  • 13-09-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭

I have a really weird issue with my PC that seems to have suddenly appeared a couple of weeks ago.

It started with the PC booting automatically a minute or two after shutting down - which meant I had to pull the plug after power down (the PC would turn back on itself when plugged back in). But its started to get worse recently to the point where the PC won't respond to the power button 90% of the time and also won't decide to turn itself on for hours, if at all.

I can usually get it to boot by unplugging most if not all my usb devices, waiting 30mins, and then pressing the power button.

I'm thinking the PSU has finally had it, but I would have imagined I'd be seeing issues when the PC it's actually on rather than problems turning it on and off!

Anyone experienced similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Could be a faulty power button on the case..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Doubt it, I removed and reinserted all of the connections on the header and shorted the power pins while I was as it to test the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

TomCo wrote: »
    I have a really weird issue with my PC that seems to have suddenly appeared a couple of weeks ago.

It started with the PC booting automatically a minute or two after shutting down - which meant I had to pull the plug after power down (the PC would turn back on itself when plugged back in). But its started to get worse recently to the point where the PC won't respond to the power button 90% of the time and also won't decide to turn itself on for hours, if at all.

I can usually get it to boot by unplugging most if not all my usb devices, waiting 30mins, and then pressing the power button.

I'm thinking the PSU has finally had it, but I would have imagined I'd be seeing issues when the PC it's actually on rather than problems turning it on and off!

Anyone experienced similar?

I had similar with a PC rebooting when it froze and I had to hold the power button to shut it down, there is an option to disable windows from automatically restarting if it freezes:

Click the Windows button, then right-click My Computer > Properties > Advanced settings tab, then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
    Under System Failure, un-tick the 'Automatically restart' check box. If this is selected, Windows automatically restarts if the computer if it freezes.

The fact you have to pull peripheral connectors etc. might mean the PSU has degraded over time and does not have enough juice to start-but unplugging USB devices etc. it may just have enough.

have you a spare to test?

Advertisement