If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema Room

Options
  • 13-09-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

In the process of a new build and have a dedicated HC room, 5.1m * 4.5m. First fix is a few weeks away and I am thinking of the following:
    • Projector mount on ceiling, 1 power point, brush plate and conduit (to run HDMI cable) back to AV cabinet (located at screen area)
    • Fixed projector screen
    • 5.1 wall plate beside AV cabinet - wired as follows
    • Wiring speaker cable: 2 rear wall mounted, 2 front floor standers, centre and SW all to wall plates with banana connections
    • Co ax point for sat (sky HD) beside AV cabinet
    • Sky HD box and Sony Blu ray
    • 3 * double power sockets at AV cabinet
    • Cat5e data cable at AV cabinet linked to patch panel in utility (BB modem & telephone)
    I have a budget of €3,500 for AV receiver, speakers and projector (and screen) if budget allows. I have a good Sony BR player. What are my options on hardware?

Also I have PC sums from the builder for AV cabling (i.e. cables and wall plates), looking for advice here to as to quality, types of connections, tips etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

In the process of a new build and have a dedicated HC room, 5.1m * 4.5m. First fix is a few weeks away and I am thinking of the following:
    • Projector mount on ceiling, 1 power point, brush plate and conduit (to run HDMI cable) back to AV cabinet (located at screen area)
    • Fixed projector screen
    • 5.1 wall plate beside AV cabinet - wired as follows
    • Wiring speaker cable: 2 rear wall mounted, 2 front floor standers, centre and SW all to wall plates with banana connections
    • Co ax point for sat (sky HD) beside AV cabinet
    • Sky HD box and Sony Blu ray
    • 3 * double power sockets at AV cabinet
    • Cat5e data cable at AV cabinet linked to patch panel in utility (BB modem & telephone)
    I have a budget of €3,500 for AV receiver, speakers and projector (and screen) if budget allows. I have a good Sony BR player. What are my options on hardware?

Also I have PC sums from the builder for AV cabling (i.e. cables and wall plates), looking for advice here to as to quality, types of connections, tips etc?

Thanks

BT,

thanks for the opportunity to quote and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

I'm not sure if you would like us to quote for the wall plates or just the AV equipment?? - We don't normally supply wall sockets and plates but we are happy to do so if requested - keep me posted on that count..

On the AV equipment side of things €3500 will get you a really serious projector, AV receiver and 5.1 speaker setup and here is a proposal:

Here is the 5 star What Hi-fi review for the speaker system (proced at £2350!) : http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-Silver-RX6-AV12/

The total Sterling price for that kit is around £4200 - I can do you a Boardie deal at just £3099.95 / €3869 ( ok so I broke the budget but not by much :o)

You would need to add some decent interconnects, cables, screen and a bracket but in realtive terms this won't topple the budget by too much and we should sneak in under €4000 :o:o - However if you would like to keep strictly to the €3500 budget we can trim the spec a little either on the receiver (ie we could use the excellent Marantz SR5007) and that would keep us to the €3500 budget - or we could compromise a little on the speakers and use a Bronze series sub instead of the Silver series and once again we would sneak in under €3500.

Keep me posted if this looks interesting - I really think thats about as good a system as you can get for this (substantial) amount of money - but of course we're happy to work through the specification with you 'till you're happy.

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bricktopper

It's for the whole kit.

Great price, thanks. A lot to review and digest. Please leave it with me.

In relation to inter connects and cables, as I am getting close to first fix on site, what do you recommend in terms of cables and plates (i.e. type of connections to leave banana plugs? etc etc)? Can you quote for a good speaker cable et al?

Cheers.

Also is that price for delivery to Dublin \ Meath (either)?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Also is that price for delivery to Dublin \ Meath (either)?

For the whole system as above we would do delivery at approx £34..

Great price, thanks. A lot to review and digest. Please leave it with me.

In relation to inter connects and cables, as I am getting close to first fix on site, what do you recommend in terms of cables and plates (i.e. type of connections to leave banana plugs? etc etc)? Can you quote for a good speaker cable et al?

No problem - and yep it's actually a MEGA price - I must have Friday madness!

The 1st thing to consider is how far away the projector is from the AVR - this will dictate whether you use CAT5/6 or HDMI for your HD cabling - we would always prefer HDMI but please be careful if the length approaches 15mtrs as we frequently see handshaking issues over longer runs when poor quality or uncertified HDMI cables are used - if you give me an idea of the cable runs - I'll revert with suggested pricing for the HDMi leads.

When it comes to the type of plates - I'm a fan of using lates with Brush entries like this:
    AV19092-40.jpg
    as they look neat and allow you to run any cable to the projector via your conduit and allow for future upgrades.

In terms of Banana / 4mm plugs - yes I would really recommend using these as they keep your wall neat and again allow for the cable to be re-terminated over the coming years - again if you would like us to quote just drop me a line and we will get you an idea of pricing.

On speaker cable - we can supply you a good quality 105 strand braided cable from Cambridge Audio from about £0.69p/meter if you are buying a bulk quality - if you want to use a Biwire cable I would recommend the Symphony Biwire which retails at £2.99/Meter - again I can do you a boardie deal on this at approx £1.89 to go with your system and it's really excellent quality cable!

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Thanks, hdmi run will be 6 metres or so I think, on site on Wednesday, so will confirm then.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.