Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F%%**n Holidays Rant Alert

Options
  • 13-09-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Rant alert! I booked a holiday last week with this company, but in the meantime have found out that my daughter is performing in UL and it is a big deal to her.

So I rang today to change the date to a week later, admitting I didn't know at the time but be told yeah we can change it - so I expected to be charged E20 or even E25 and would be ok with that but this crowd want E15 per person "admin fee". Ok I do realise a fee would incur but I admit was annoyed at being expected to pay E45. I asked about canceling the holiday - I would lose the deposit.

I only picked this company as they are bonded - had issues with them two years ago when I was charged a heafty fee to pay by CC - the charge was their banking fees - I had to pay that it seems.

Ok I know that in the scheme of things its not a big thing, but I am so fed up with all these little extras here and there that these companies charge you. It took me 2 years to save for this holiday - and I am annoyed! Oh I was also told to email their complants dept and it would take up to 28 days for me to get a reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Surely it was mentioned in their terms and conditions that there is an admin fee for making changes to the holiday? €15 per person seems quite normal for a travel company - many would charge more or refuse to allow changes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

€15 per person seems very resonable in fairness. They have to sort changing flight details, transfers and accomodation for you. The airlines especially have charges in place and they are more than likely just passing on the charges incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

I can understand that there are charges and I have no problem with that but in my opinion it is still too much but what annoyed me the most was that I would have to wait 28 days for a reply.

angeleyes wrote: »
    I can understand that there are charges and I have no problem with that but in my opinion it is still too much but what annoyed me the most was that I would have to wait 28 days for a reply.

28 days for a reply to your complaint about a perfectly reasonable charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I would have expected a higher charge than €15 per person to change your holiday dates, to be honest.

There would be a fair amount of administration involved in changing flights, hotels, transfers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

OP unless there's more to this than immediately apparent, there doesn't seem to be anything approaching unreasonable demands on the part of the travel company.

Enjoy the holiday btw.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Travel company is perfectly entitled to charge an admin fee for something you decided to change your mind about AFTER it was booked and a deposit paid, 15e per person seems like a very reasonable fee to me.

imho op you are being somewhat unreasonable about this, they are not the one's that decided to change the date you are...if you don't want to pay the fee or loose the deposit then don't change the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

15 euros / person to change your flights

Should be in the Bargain Alerts thread.

Aer Lingus charge 40 euros / person / flight, so 80 euros minimum, if the fare is more expensive then you have to pay that too.

http://www.aerlingus.com/i18n/en/htmlPopups/change_help.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Like others have said, charging an admin fee is quite a normal thing, and the amount in question is actually quite reasonable in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I think €15 is more then reasonable......I think it is actually really cheap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Name and Anti-shame please - I need a good company to book next years hols through!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

€15each and your giving out about this.
    Your lucky they let you change it at all.

Some people are never happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Seriously, some people will complain about anything. I had to miss a holiday this summer because my OH got called into work, tried to change the flights but the fee would have cost more than the flights.

Shame on you op moaning about a €15 admin fee :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

The fee should definitely be higher, otherwise you'd have everyone changing every booking at the drop of a hat.

What a whinging post!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@schemingbohemia Please don't insult other posters.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

OP, this is literally cheap as chips

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I only picked this company as they are bonded - had issues with them two years ago when I was charged a heafty fee to pay by CC - the charge was their banking fees - I had to pay that it seems.

you'll find that with most travel agents/companies.
    €15 pp sounds seriously cheap for changing, maybe OP should tell us who they are because I would book a holiday with them if thats all it cost to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

How hefty? Out of interest, was it a percentage fee or a transaction fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

wyndham wrote: »
    How hefty? Out of interest, was it a percentage fee or a transaction fee?

Many travel agents charge 3% when booking with a credit card eg. www.clubtravel.ie

TheDriver wrote: »
    maybe OP should tell us who they are because I would book a holiday with them if thats all it cost to change.

Hmm, I could be wrong but I assumed that the "F%%**n" in the title stood for the name of the company, rather than a curse word. There's a holiday company name that fits perfectly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

nibtrix wrote: »
    Hmm, I could be wrong but I assumed that the "F%%**n" in the title stood for the name of the company, rather than a curse word. There's a holiday company name that fits perfectly...

I thought is was a covered up curse word, good to know its handy to book with them and change for cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest I would have expected to cost you a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

great find op. cheers :D

Advertisement