Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing fly rod.

Options
  • 13-09-2012 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Right ,so i was on here ten months ago looking for opinions on what rod to begin with,the rod i was using was a borrowed one.i ended up buying an irish fly co rod 6/7 weight 11' 3".i bought this rod in mint condition and it cost me fifty euro.i was given a chepo reel with the rod and when i bought some new line low and behold i started catching fish.i love it and i would go everyday if i could : )the problem is my arm is hanging off me at the end of a days fishing, the rod is too long and my shoulder and arm suffer for it.i need something 9' or 9' 6". 6 or 6/7 weight, i have 300 euro to spend no more, i have a reel all be it a bad one. I've seen a g loomis adventurer on line for handy money there discontinued now,i don't know if the're any good?i want something that i wont regret buying in say.. a years time.so if you know of such a rod please throw me a bone.regards..a budding fisherman : )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

What kind of fishing do you do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 fffp

BoarHunter wrote: »
    fly fishing for trout on stocked lake at the moment.i dont see myself small river fishing so a 6 or 6/7 weight would be ideal.i need something not too heavy that will give a good cast.

fffp wrote: »
    BoarHunter wrote: »
    fly fishing for trout on stocked lake at the moment.i dont see myself small river fishing so a 6 or 6/7 weight would be ideal.i need something not too heavy that will give a good cast.
    I prob soulda said fly fishing the first time lol :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I was half thinking of splashing out on a rod myself, similar to what the OP mentions (9' to 10' 5/6).
    I looked at a couple of Scierra rods and I liked the feel of them. I'd be interested to hear other opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Imo,firstly its hard to get a rod to do both dry and wet fly fishing,but for dry fly and nymphing on rivers and lakes i use the loop opti stream 5wt9ft coupled with the dry fly dannielson reel its perfect ,for me :D.g loomis rods are also great rods well proven and if looked after should last a lifetime.

• Advertisement

Scierra rods have come to my attention before.i will be both wet and dry flying.i would have kept using the 11' 3" but id need a bionic arm.does anyone know what the greys grxi rods are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

Scierra rods have come to my attention before.i will be both wet and dry flying.i would have kept using the 11' 3" but id need a bionic arm.does anyone know what the greys grxi rods are like?

A 9 foot 5 weight is a great all rounder. Covers almost all situations. If you're relatively new to fly fishing, a medium to fast action rod will be forgiving enough.

Guideline EXP4, Sage Vantage, Redington Pursuit....

Pedalstool wrote: »

A 9 foot 5 weight is a great all rounder. Covers almost all situations. If you're relatively new to fly fishing, a medium to fast action rod will be forgiving enough.

Guideline EXP4, Sage Vantage, Redington Pursuit....
    Thanks for the comment and guidline rods.i'd be afraid to go five weight,would it have the punching power on a windy day?or get that good distance on a cast?medium action all the way: ), i am just a beginner.

Sage flight outfit right on my budget.boom.good reviews two : )...mostly.thank you for your thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Call me old fashioned, but I dunno would I buy a fly rod without trying it, tackled up, in my hand first!

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned, but I dunno would I buy a fly rod without trying it, tackled up, in my hand first!
    I know what you mean but at the same time i haven't really anything to compare it to the rod i have is hard work.i think i'll enjoy getting used to a new one at the same time.i'm very new to fly fishing so i wouldn't be too clued in to the finer points of a fly rod anyway.

Thanks for the comment and guidline rods.i'd be afraid to go five weight,would it have the punching power on a windy day?or get that good distance on a cast?medium action all the way: ), i am just a beginner.

If you learn to single haul or double haul, a 5 weight is more than capable in wind. The fact it's lighter than a 6 or 7 weight should help when dry fly fishing.

The lighter the tackle you can get away with the better, so they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Try and borrow a five weight outfit for a shot of it. I'd say you will fall in love straight away.

I try a five weight for the laugh,would that be a more rounded then a 6 or 6/7 i wonder?

I try a five weight for the laugh,would that be a more rounded then a 6 or 6/7 i wonder?

Certainly for fishing a dry fly. The less disturbance you create the better in my opinion. A lighter line should assist in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

Right ,so i was on here ten months ago looking for opinions on what rod to begin with,the rod i was using was a borrowed one.i ended up buying an irish fly co rod 6/7 weight 11' 3".i bought this rod in mint condition and it cost me fifty euro.i was given a chepo reel with the rod and when i bought some new line low and behold i started catching fish.i love it and i would go everyday if i could : )the problem is my arm is hanging off me at the end of a days fishing, the rod is too long and my shoulder and arm suffer for it.i need something 9' or 9' 6". 6 or 6/7 weight, i have 300 euro to spend no more, i have a reel all be it a bad one. I've seen a g loomis adventurer on line for handy money there discontinued now,i don't know if the're any good?i want something that i wont regret buying in say.. a years time.so if you know of such a rod please throw me a bone.regards..a budding fisherman : )

get a 10FT Irish Fly Rod and matching reel and line from Murrays in Cork and still get change out of £300,

• Registered Users Posts: 11 trout fisherman 918

i have an irish fly rod 9ft 6/7 and i use it for all my lake fishing buzzers,dries and lures i can get a full sinking line out aswell i would recomend it to ya its a great rod and you could cast it all day long they cost about 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

i have an irish fly rod 9ft 6/7 and i use it for all my lake fishing buzzers,dries and lures i can get a full sinking line out aswell i would recomend it to ya its a great rod and you could cast it all day long they cost about 200.
    can you still buy them,i thought they were gone off the market,where are they on sale please

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Eriesniper

U could get a really good rod for that money look up websites like fishingmegastore.this rod called the sage zxl I have is out of ur buget but its soo lite it's 3oz anyway good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11 trout fisherman 918

the irish fly rods are on sale in munster nearly every tackle shop has them on sale

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭madchild

Abu Garcia Accuflex 5 piece travel rod medium to tip action i have this rod for so long i can,t remember but i have yet to come across a better all round rod. I have caught trout upto 4 lbs boat fishing and a bueatiful wild brown on the river weighting 3.5 lbs i have also landed salmon upto 8 lbs with it i,d never part with this rod i,m not sure if they are still available. Unless you are putting in 6 hours or more of constant casting i,d advise you get a few casting lessons also the action of the rod means alot too. Hope this helps..

madchild wrote: »
    Abu Garcia Accuflex 5 piece travel rod medium to tip action i have this rod for so long i can,t remember but i have yet to come across a better all round rod. I have caught trout upto 4 lbs boat fishing and a bueatiful wild brown on the river weighting 3.5 lbs i have also landed salmon upto 8 lbs with it i,d never part with this rod i,m not sure if they are still available. Unless you are putting in 6 hours or more of constant casting i,d advise you get a few casting lessons also the action of the rod means alot too. Hope this helps..
    I ended up with a sage flight and haven't look back since...cracking rod.

Advertisement