Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Super Mario Bros U

• 13-09-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

New Super Mario Bros U has a new trailer. It looks really good to me. In my opinion New Super Mario Bros Wii was the best game on that system and this looks even better.

After playing through NSMB2 one of the things I missed most was Yoshi so it is great to see him back. Also they've added in the Rush modes from NSMB2. I'm also delighted to see that the world map is one huge interconnected map. Very much in the style of Super Mario World. Anything that brings it back to that game must be good.

The ability to draw your own platforms will be great when playing with friends. Imagine the possibilities for messing with your friends :D

(Mod: Animated gif changed to link) - http://www.abload.de/img/a9rdhk.gif

Still no confirmation of online play as far as I know. Seeing as though it is Nintendo I'd bet money that there will be no online play, which would be a great shame. 4-player co-op on the Wii was amazing but it is hard to get three friends around often.

One other thing is the amazing box art. I think it looks ace. I really like the blue box, even that little dash of yellow that some people seem to hate.

ViewMedia?mgid=339348&vid=4
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still no confirmation of online play as far as I know. Seeing as though it is Nintendo I'd bet money that there will be no online play, which would be a great shame. 4-player co-op on the Wii was amazing but it is hard to get three friends around often.

I won't miss it. I never once though NSMB Wii would be great online. It's meant to be a more social experience. I can't image playing it with random american potty mouth no. 200002019

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I won't miss it. I never once though NSMB Wii would be great online. It's meant to be a more social experience. I can't image playing it with random american potty mouth no. 200002019

That is true if you were playing against random people. But if you are playing against friends then it would be fine. The least they could do is give us option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I think its time to remove New from the title

But its certainly going to move systems for nintendo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

We could see some epic speedruns from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but this looks like more of the same. Why is called New? Graphically it doesn't look much, if anything, more than what the Wii could do. All these New Super Mario games, while fun, are starting to get a little...dare I say it, samey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I hate the idea of drawing your own platforms. "How do I get to that secret, let me figure that o...oh wait, just draw the platformsto get to it! Again!"

Stop putting this stupid sh!t into these games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but this looks like more of the same. Why is called New? Graphically it doesn't look much, if anything, more than what the Wii could do. All these New Super Mario games, while fun, are starting to get a little...dare I say it, samey

I agree with the "New" but i guess its a subfranchsie all of it's own. Regarding the graphics, if they are HD, they will be stunning on a big tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I think it looks kinda dull.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I hate the idea of drawing your own platforms. "How do I get to that secret, let me figure that o...oh wait, just draw the platformsto get to it! Again!"

The drawing platforms element is optional though. There is nothing to force you to do it if you don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

Not going to buy it along with the wiiU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is it me or each new mario just becomes Easyer and challenge is taking out,So that even brain dead corpse could play?

Is it me or each new mario just becomes Easyer and challenge is taking out,So that even brain dead corpse could play?

Its not just you, I've still to play NSMB 2 to be fair, but the others have gotten steadily easier as they've arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Generally true of anything post-Sunshine (excluding GBA re-releases and whatnot). It seems the vast majority of the true Mario challenge lies in the post-game. The likes of Grandmaster Galaxy and Stone Cyclone in Galaxy 2 being prime examples of this.

I may not be a fan of the idea, especially after playing Sunshine and its inherent, awesome difficulty, but I can understand it to some degree, in lines with the accessibility of the Wii after the relative failure of the more 'core-oriented Gamecube. What better way to make people play a game than make it playable for the whole family? The nippers get the easier main-quest, and the more-gamery parents get the teeth-gnashing, admittedly short post-game.

There's other factors to consider too, such as the abundance of choice in today's market, with its affordability and the ease of off-loading irksome titles, say if someone gets bothered by a certain bit of a game, then can easily just pass on it and head elsewhere for their fix. I suppose this is another issue, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some people call it accessibility. I call it lazy design. What ever happened to making games with a difficulty curve? Start easy to hook the player and to understand the rules and gradually increase the difficulty as the players abilities increase. I'd actually go so far to say that some of nintendo's games have been insultingly easy. It insults me how little nintendo expects of the player.

Super Mario World was a great example of a game that had a nice difficulty curve, & was as easy or difficult as you wanted it to be. I remember 96*ing that bad boy for the first time, great sense of accomplishment. Games being difficult at times also makes you a better gamer in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Some people call it accessibility. I call it lazy design. What ever happened to making games with a difficulty curve? Start easy to hook the player and to understand the rules and gradually increase the difficulty as the players abilities increase. I'd actually go so far to say that some of nintendo's games have been insultingly easy. It insults me how little nintendo expects of the player.

I think companies want you just to finish games above all else, I can think of a lot more games with difficulty spikes than difficulty curves. I quite like making interactive platforms on the wiiu pad, have to laugh at people saying the games are samey then complaining about the 'new' parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really love rayman origins. It starts so easy and sucks you in, but then it just drops challenge after challenge at you. Great example of game difficulty curve.

Btw I heard super mario land 3d had a good challenge in it. I wonder if that's true.

Btw I heard super mario land 3d had a good challenge in it. I wonder if that's true.

It was certainly more difficult than NSMB2.

We don't know yet for sure if NSMBU is easy or not. For all we know it could have the perfect difficulty curve. I actually thought some of the later levels in NSMBWii were quite difficult. Particularly the special world at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Return to the art style of Super Mario World and jazz it up for hd and I'm sold.

This iteration of Mario does nothing for me, which is a shame.

There is a new trailer for NSMB U over on the Game Informer website. I still think it looks like great fun but the music is simply dreadful. Had to turn the sound down and it was only a couple of minutes long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

FutureGuy wrote: »

It looks like it's been hoofed in purely so that gammy handheld controller screen has something to do.

Advertisement