Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject choice- 5th year

• 13-09-2012 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Okay, so even though I'm only in TY and only just got my results, is it too soon to be thinking about subject choice? Also, I'd like some opinions on my choices that I may do.

Obviously I'd be doing the three core subjects, but I'm not sure whether to do pass or honours Irish? I have always struggled with it and just got a C, which I'm content with. I'm definitely attempting honours Maths due to the bonus points and then honours English!

For my choices I was thinking
    German(received a B)
    History(only a B too but I enjoy the subject
    Physics(received a C in Science but Physics is my strongest Science)
    Now, for my 4th subject I'm not too sure on what to keep on but I'm in between Geography and Economics.
    I didn't do Business for the Junior Cert but I have heard it's possible to do well in.
    Then for Geography I received a B with little work, I gave up after the mocks after only getting a C and was surprised I got a B so now it's back into possible options.
    I have heard that History and Geo are hard together, is it really true?

I'm open to all of your opinions and suggestions and if the mods want to move/delete this thread, they are free to do so

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭AnnaTorvFan

In our school we were told to do a Science, Business, Language & then a subject we like.
    So German, History & Physics are good ideas. :)
    If you definitely don't want to go into business after school then I'd say go with the like of geography :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

In our school we were told to do a Science, Business, Language & then a subject we like.
    So German, History & Physics are good ideas. :)
    If you definitely don't want to go into business after school then I'd say go with the like of geography :)

I don't plan on going into Business but have heard it may be useful. I plan on hopefully doing Computer Science or a similar course. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

Business has a low rate of A and high B results compared to other subjects, if you didn't do it for junior cert,you are starting completely new , it will be fine but you will have to spend a lot of time studying the book!! I'm not saying don't do it , i liked it but i just see a few posts around that business is easy to do well in , it takes time!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 RachEnnis

Geography is a lovely subject to do well in. There isn't too much studying involved, if you know the foundations from JC level. Just being able to identify the questions and what they are actually asking you, not what you think you're being asked, goes a long way to getting a good grade in the subject!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

RachEnnis wrote: »
    Geography is a lovely subject to do well in. There isn't too much studying involved, if you know the foundations from JC level. Just being able to identify the questions and what they are actually asking you, not what you think you're being asked, goes a long way to getting a good grade in the subject!

I liked it at JC level but it was my teacher I didn't like. I was just wondering would it be hard to do along with History? They are probably my strongest subjects despite only getting Bs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement