Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 See mod note Post #1

• 13-09-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

Just seen there that its back on the 31/3/13.

Im still reading the first past of ASoS. Almost half ways though it.

Can't wait for the new season.

199 days.:(

MOD NOTE From here on out there is to be absolutely no wink wink nudge nudging by book readers in this thread, take it to a book readers thread.

This will be considered spoiling and result in a ban.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Reading the books has made the wait more bearable I have to say. On the 2nd part of A Dance With Dragons now.

I won't forget ASoS in a hurry, hope they do it justice over the next 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BamBam92

I cant wait that long for GoT! :( HBO hurry up and get them done! :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll be married when season 3 airs...

That feels weird... in a good way though... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

So will it be in two parts ?

Book 3 parts one and two will correspond to Seasons 3 &4 respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'll be married when season 3 airs...

That feels weird... in a good way though... :)

Congrats but...Season 3 spoiler.
    don't invite a Frey and leave if the music gets suspiciously bad.

If the timeline of the series follows the time line of the books, that's actually a season 4 spoiler!

Though personally I think it'll be the grand finale of Season 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

A palindrome!! Hurray!!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Does anyone else reckon we'll be seeing parts of
    A Dance with Dragons
    this season? Considering some of the characters that have been cast.

I also can't see them rigidly sticking to the book timeline. I'm expecting
    Red Wedding along with Tyrion & Sansa's marriage, could see both events happening in parallel on screen.

Part of Dance overlap with AFFC but I can't see them bringing in stuff from that far ahead this season. Unless Danny's arc takes a different path and
    she ends up in Mereen far sooner than in the books and has a longer arc of learning how not to rule there...
    . TBH, her arc bored me to tears for most of AFFC and ADWD so mightn't be the worst thing in the world if they pretty much re-wrote it...

• Advertisement

Part of Dance overlap with AFFC but I can't see them bringing in stuff from that far ahead this season. Unless Danny's arc takes a different path and
    she ends up in Mereen far sooner than in the books and has a longer arc of learning how not to rule there...
    . TBH, her arc bored me to tears for most of AFFC and ADWD so mightn't be the worst thing in the world if they pretty much re-wrote it...

Agreed there, I've not finished ADWD yet but her arc is reasonably boring bar a few decent parts here and there.
    She just rejected Quentyn and got married, should get better now with Tyrion and Mormont getting closer. Distinct lack of dragons though :(

I wasn't referring to her arc though, I was thinking because they've cast
    Ramsey Snow, we'll be seeing parts of Theon's ADWD story early, unless they're just going to show him being tortured for 2 whole seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is
    Alfie Allen (Theon)
    still a full cast member for season 3?

Also re A Storm of Swords (spoiler)
    I'd be disappointed if they finish the season with Red Wedding, because being the last few minutes of the series even the dimmest of unsullied viewers will be expecting something other than a straighforward wedding, which would reduce the shock element imo.

Is
    Alfie Allen (Theon)
    still a full cast member for season 3?

Also re A Storm of Swords (spoiler)
    I'd be disappointed if they finish the season with Red Wedding, because being the last few minutes of the series even the dimmest of unsullied viewers will be expecting something other than a straighforward wedding, which would reduce the shock element imo.

True, although I'd expect it to happen in episode 9.
    I reckon Joffrey's death will be the middle of season 4, although I wouldn't be surprised if they move the red wedding to season 4 since Robb is one of their most bankable characters. I guess they'd want to milk both him and Joffrey for as long as they can. They could have Dany liberating the unsullied as the big season 3 finale instead I guess. That would mean all but ditching her for season 4 though.

Don't know re:
    Alfie Allen, seemed to be doing lots of publicity work so I assumed he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Mickeroo wrote: »
    True, although I'd expect it to happen in episode 9.
    I reckon Joffrey's death will be the middle of season 4, although I wouldn't be surprised if they move the red wedding to season 4 since Robb is one of their most bankable characters. I guess they'd want to milk both him and Joffrey for as long as they can. They could have Dany liberating the unsullied as the big season 3 finale instead I guess. That would mean all but ditching her for season 4 though.

Don't know re:
    Alfie Allen, seemed to be doing lots of publicity work so I assumed he was.

Hmmm.
    If the red wedding doesn't happen in this series it will be pretty uneventful. I reckon it will be episode 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

If they don't have
    the red wedding
    as the finale, then they may just jump to
    Catelyn's ressurection from the river
    as 'the shock' finale

If they follow the timeline of the books in how they split the seasons at all, surely that'd be the shock end for Season 4...

If they follow the timeline of the books in how they split the seasons at all, surely that'd be the shock end for Season 4...

Yeah, wouldn't expect that to happen until then tbh. I presume
    Catelyn/Stoneheart and the brotherhood
    are going to get stuff made up for them in the show since they're hardly in the book at all after
    her ressurection

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

They deviated quite a bit from the story in season 2, so that might continue, although surely the big headline events spoilered above will still happen, but the timeline might change a bit for tv I reckon. Once the episode names are released ahead of the season we'll know I guess, much as we knew episode 9 in season 2 was going to be the battle of the blackwater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭jones

i'm half way through the third book and loving it at the moment. Some interesting stuff happening already
    Tywin ordering Tyrion to marry sansa stark

jones wrote: »
    i'm half way through the third book and loving it at the moment. Some interesting stuff happening already
    Tywin ordering Tyrion to marry sansa stark

I envy and pity you in equal amounts :D

• Advertisement

I'd be more on the "envy" side of that equation...

So much good stuff in book 3!

Take a break from the series before reading Feast for Crows though. The pace changes considerably in books 4 & 5. So much so that they really suffer in comparison to the first three if you read them all back-to-back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

I really, really want them to
    do the wedding in episode 5 or something. Season 1 we had Ned kick it in episode 9, dragons appeared in episode 10. Season 2 we had the wildfire/Tyrion possibly killed/Tywin's sudden appearance in episode 9, white walkers appear in episode 10. They need to be careful about not falling into a formula of episode 9 being the big set-piece/twist episode, and episode 10 being the big reveal ending. If the wedding is going to have the impact it should, I think it has to be played as just another filler event in the build up to what the viewers are expecting to be the season climax in episodes 9 and 10. Hit them halfway through, when they're not expecting it. The ratings for the remaining 5 episodes would go through the roof I'd say.

I agree completely on the
    idea that the Red Wedding shouldn't happen in episode 9/10, could it be done as early as episode 5 though? It happens a good half-way through book 3 and episode 5 would only happen about a quarter of the way through the text since it's being split...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭fitz

I agree completely on the
    idea that the Red Wedding shouldn't happen in episode 9/10, could it be done as early as episode 5 though? It happens a good half-way through book 3 and episode 5 would only happen about a quarter of the way through the text since it's being split...
    The beginning of Robb and Catelyns arcs from book 3 were dealt with in season 2 (release of Jaime, marriage to Jayne). They can start right into the plot for taking Moat Cailin and the need to mend bridges with the Freys (pun intended). I think they could get it into episode five or six, but even 7 would be ok, though not as good. It needs to come out of left field like in the book.

I suppose they could push some of the earlier Daenarys / Ironborn / Jon / Arya chapters to later in the series in order to get there in that kind of time-line...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I'd be more on the "envy" side of that equation...

So much good stuff in book 3!

Take a break from the series before reading Feast for Crows though. The pace changes considerably in books 4 & 5. So much so that they really suffer in comparison to the first three if you read them all back-to-back.

Taking a break too, big queue in local library lol, sounds like a blessing in disguise :)

Looks like there'll be no Vargo Hoate in the show at all (SPOILERS in the link for non book readers): http://winteriscoming.net/2012/10/filming-rumors-and-reports-taylor-is-in/

Set pic with a big old spoiler if you haven't read the book: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4lg2hqCUAADBYL.jpg:large

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Took me a while looking at that to get the spoiler, but I got there eventually.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »

:D Yeah, its a bit of a where's wally one, but it's there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

5starpool wrote: »

:D Yeah, its a bit of a where's wally one, but it's there!
    you mean its not!

Does anyone else think that
    dany's freeing of the unsullied has been sort of ruined by her doing that exact action in season 2? I thought it was great the way she got them in the book, but now she's already done the whole getting a dragon the light some mo fo up act, I'm unsure how she'll pull it off. Maybe they'll write more story for her after the mind numbing meandering she ends up doing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Set pic with a big old spoiler if you haven't read the book: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4lg2hqCUAADBYL.jpg:large

I'm not seeing it. Is it
    Balon Greyjoy falling to his death
    ?

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'm not seeing it. Is it
    Balon Greyjoy falling to his death
    ?
    Look at Jaimie's hands
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Set pic with a big old spoiler if you haven't read the book: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4lg2hqCUAADBYL.jpg:large[/QUOTE] Oh a sneaky little spoiler there:D

you mean its not!

Does anyone else think that
    dany's freeing of the unsullied has been sort of ruined by her doing that exact action in season 2? I thought it was great the way she got them in the book, but now she's already done the whole getting a dragon the light some mo fo up act, I'm unsure how she'll pull it off. Maybe they'll write more story for her after the mind numbing meandering she ends up doing.

THere's been a lot of changes with Dany so far,
    . The one that has me scratching my head the most is why they saw the need to kill off her blood riders and her Silver within the first few episodes of season 2 when they're all still alive at the end of book 5 (though one of them has probably been catapulted over the walls by now). Hopefully freeing the Unsullied will still pack a bit of a punch.

• Advertisement

Why are they changing Dany's story?
    because her arc sucks dragon balls once Drogo is dead...

Hopefully freeing the Unsullied will still pack a bit of a punch.

Actually thought this was one of the silliest chapters in ASOS.
    "I shall buy all your Unsullied warriors from you, warriors who have absolutely no loyalty to you but will obey any commands of their new owners. Leaving you completely defenceless. Deal?"
    Would be happy to see it done differently.

Couple of questions from the end of A storm of Swords so obviously major major spoilers for those who haven't read.
    1. Tyrion and Tywin. Would Tyrion have been sent to the wall rather than executed? Tywin seemed fairly adamant about it, but no-one else has subsequently confirmed what Tywin said and the execution was only hours away.

2. Lysa and Sansa. Was Lysa genuinely trying to throw Sansa though the Moon Door, or just scare her?

Couple of questions from the end of A storm of Swords so obviously major major spoilers for those who haven't read.
    1. Tyrion and Tywin. Would Tyrion have been sent to the wall rather than executed? Tywin seemed fairly adamant about it, but no-one else has subsequently confirmed what Tywin said and the execution was only hours away.

2. Lysa and Sansa. Was Lysa genuinely trying to throw Sansa though the Moon Door, or just scare her?

My understanding anyway was
    that Tyrion was going to be executed.
    My memory is a bit fuzzy though.
    With Lysa and Sansa, I thought she was just trying to scare Sansa though was so hysterical she very well could have ended up pushing her out.

My take on it was that ....
    1: Tyrion was for the chop

2: Sansa was going head first oooot the Moon doors as Lysa had lost the plot

• Advertisement

Someone got some snazzy new armour with their family's sigil and aeverything:

jorah1.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Tyrion was for the chop alright, but it does raise the question as to why Tywin didn't pull the strings / exercise his considerable power, and insist on the wall instead. Tywin seemed fairly accepting with the execution decision.

because Tywin hated him...

because Tywin hated him...

Seconded

Cheers all, to clarify, on a reread and the comment
    by Tywin to Tyrion "This escape is folly, You are not to be killed.....it is still my intent to send you to the wall but I need Lord Tyrells permission... put down that crossbow" had me confused because at the time of first read I accepted it as true. But the lack of any other character subsequently confirming it got me thinking that maybe it wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Cheers all, to clarify, on a reread and the comment
    by Tywin to Tyrion "This escape is folly, You are not to be killed.....it is still my intent to send you to the wall but I need Lord Tyrells permission... put down that crossbow" had me confused because at the time of first read I accepted it as true. But the lack of any other character subsequently confirming it got me thinking that maybe it wasn't true.
    All Tywin cared about was family honour. Tyrion broke that honour (as far as Tywin knows) so i think whatever Tyrion's fate was, Tywin wouldn't interfere with justice..

MOD Edit: I just spoilered that up there, not a huge give away or anything but might give something away to some maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

will champion, the drummer from Coldplay has been cast to play, well A DRUMMER:D:D

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/05/game-of-thrones-coldplay/

GerB40 wrote: »
    All Tywin cared about was family honour. Tyrion broke that honour (as far as Tywin knows) so i think whatever Tyrion's fate was, Tywin wouldn't interfere with justice..

MOD Edit: I just spoilered that up there, not a huge give away or anything but might give something away to some maybe.
    thanks for that, how do you spoiler something?!

don ramo wrote: »
    will champion, the drummer from Coldplay has been cast to play, well A DRUMMER:D:D

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/11/05/game-of-thrones-coldplay/

I'd imagine this is for
    The red wedding, they emphasis the drums during it a few times in the book during and after the wedding. I can't see him doing a scene that isn't significant.... can't wait to see this bit on TV literally was shocked reading it during the book. Just starting to read "A Feast for Crows" now can't put the bloody books down :)

KaG wrote: »

I'd imagine this is for
    The red wedding, they emphasis the drums during it a few times in the book during and after the wedding. I can't see him doing a scene that isn't significant.... can't wait to see this bit on TV literally was shocked reading it during the book. Just starting to read "A Feast for Crows" now can't put the bloody books down :)
    They're fair addictive aren't they?? Once I started reading them I became obsessed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement