Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 3 See mod note Post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

GerB40 wrote: »
    thanks for that, how do you spoiler something?!

When you are typing your post you will see the spoiler button in the upper right near the smiley's, Just click that and enter any text you want to hide between the boxes like so [ SPOILER ] put spoilers here[ /SPOILER ]

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Someone got some snazzy new armour with their family's sigil and aeverything:

jorah1.jpg

Isn't Mormont's sigil a bear? That looks like a sheep. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Manning3000

Oh i cannot wait,
    see what they done the the date clever!!!! :D

259939_10151182528423220_1897938590_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭KJY

Oh i cannot wait,
    see what they done the the date clever!!!! :D

259939_10151182528423220_1897938590_n.jpg

An exceedingly clever advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What am I missing?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

KJY wrote: »
    An exceedingly clever advertisement

It's awful.
    The shadows under the swords are all wrong.
    For them to fit through the zero like that, they'd need to be angled, which would make the shadows angled and skewed, with part of it closer to the sword.
    Instead they're just flat...it's poor photoshopping and gives the impression of the swords bending around the number.

Aside from that, it's completely random.
    "It's season 3, so lets stick three swords through a zero on the date, regardless of that looking imbalanced, too busy, or just plain tacked on."

Why not put "Season III" under the date and use swords for the Roman numerals?

To me, it's just bad design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

fitz wrote: »

"It's season 3, so lets stick three swords through a zero on the date, regardless of that looking imbalanced, too busy, or just plain tacked on."

They used swords because season 3 is based on the third book in the series; A Storm of Swords

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Blay wrote: »
    They used swords because season 3 is based on the third book in the series; A Storm of Swords

I've been reading the books for 8 years, the choice of swords as a graphic design element is fine with me.

The terrible use of that element and the poor composition of the overall design is what irks me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

It's awful.
    For them to fit through the zero like that, they'd need to be angled, which would make the shadows angled and skewed, with part of it closer to the sword.
    Instead they're just flat...it's poor photoshopping and gives the impression of the swords bending around the number.

You need to get out more.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh right, now I get it, the swords are meant to be a III. I thought it was some vague reference to
    House Selmy
    or something. D'oh.

Oh right, now I get it, the swords are meant to be a III. I thought it was some vague reference to
    House Selmy
    or something. D'oh.

I thought the same thing until earlier today. I don't think it's as "exceedingly clever" as people were making it out to be

Yeah, another in the, "I thought there was something clever that I couldn't see" camp here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yeah, another in the, "I thought there was something clever that I couldn't see" camp here...

One here too lol

It's awful.

Wel.....well I just wanted the Littlefinger reference.

KJY wrote: »
    Wel.....well I just wanted the Littlefinger reference.

Littlefinger reference?

Why can I never spot these things? :(

• Advertisement

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Littlefinger reference?

Why can I never spot these things? :(

"It's an exceedingly clever nickname" - S1 E5

I'm not seeing a Littlefinger reference?

I'm not seeing a Littlefinger reference?

Post above yours. KJY was quoting Littlefinger when he said 'exceedingly clever'. I thought he was talking about the advertisement at first too

Ah, I though he was suggesting there was one in the poster!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah, I though he was suggesting there was one in the poster!

This has all been terribly confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

This has all been terribly confusing.
    Exceedingly...

......I'll just make the steady transition back into lurking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Apparently next season's episodes will be slightly longer.
    Last season each episode was about 52 minutes in length (not including adds obviously).
    Next season each one will be closer to 57.

That'll work out as nearly an extra episode over the course of a season.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/18/game-of-thrones-longer-season-3/
    “A super-sized season, as befitting Storm of Swords,” Benioff adds. “Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57.”

Gbear wrote: »
    Apparently next season's episodes will be slightly longer.
    Last season each episode was about 52 minutes in length (not including adds obviously).
    Next season each one will be closer to 57.

That'll work out as nearly an extra episode over the course of a season.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/18/game-of-thrones-longer-season-3/

Nice! Pretty sure season 1 was closer to 57 too?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I haven't seen it mentioned on the thread but George R. R. Martin is writing the 7th episode called "Autumn Storms" so this would lead me to believe that this episode will feature
    Robb and Catelyn et al on their way to they Freys, making sure the build up will be done right and then have the Red Wedding take place in episode 8, as to not fall on episode 9. I would imagine Bran and Jon's close call would also be appropriate here culminating with Jon heading back to the wall

As the TV writers have said the seasons will no longer go book for season or half book for season I would see episode 9 and 10 feature
    The first battle at the wall with Jon and Ygritte. Also to justify the red wedding let Joffrey have his comeuppance this season, and let the excellent Jack Gleeson return to his studies
    This would roughly be 2/3rds of ASOS and leave season 4 & 5 to fill up the rest of the books so far.

Perhaps George will have book 6 out by then :pac:

Nice! Pretty sure season 1 was closer to 57 too?

Yeah. Just had a look.

So it's back to season 1 length.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

This would roughly be 2/3rds of ASOS and leave season 4 & 5 to fill up the rest of the books so far.

Perhaps George will have book 6 out by then :pac:

What are people gonna do if it comes to a (likely) situation where the TV show gets ahead of the books (hasn't George filled the 2 boys in on how the story will come to a conclusion). Watch the show and spoil the books yet to come? (to a certain extent). Or just wait for the books and ignore the TV show? I know I'd choose the latter.

What are people gonna do if it comes to a (likely) situation where the TV show gets ahead of the books (hasn't George filled the 2 boys in on how the story will come to a conclusion). Watch the show and spoil the books yet to come? (to a certain extent). Or just wait for the books and ignore the TV show? I know I'd choose the latter.

Well I would imagine that they'll have to be patient, I do think it's highly likely that TWOW (Book 6) will be released within the next 2 and a half years. As the writing problems in terms of structure Martin had are more or less solved.

That would leave just the last book. What I could potentially see happening is that they would split book 6 into two seasons and then with perhaps a year break before the last book is out, The Wire would be an example of this in terms of a gap year. (Assuming book 7 will be the last). That way at least 2014 and 2015 are available. They probably could then last 2016 & 2017 for book 6 and see where things stand.

Long story short, there is no way in Valyria that the show can move past the book if they are in anyway committed to doing the best they can do. They were aware of these issues before they started season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Sounds good, and I hope you're right. Another spanner in the works could well be an extra book, as you alluded to. I really can't see such an epic story being wound up in just 2 further books...

Sounds good, and I hope you're right. Another spanner in the works could well be an extra book, as you alluded to. I really can't see such an epic story being wound up in just 2 further books...

I think from here on out it might go two seasons per book which should hopefully five Martin plenty of time to finish the final few books.

I'm more worried about him passing away before its finished than the show overtaking though tbh!

• Advertisement

I think from here on out it might go two seasons per book which should hopefully five Martin plenty of time to finish the final few books.

I'm more worried about him passing away before its finished than the show overtaking though tbh!

I agree, but I thought I read somewhere (possibly in a dream) that season 3 would be 2/3rds of ASOS and season 4 would be the other 1/3 and the openings of both AFFC and ADWD. 4 seasons between the two of those would be overkill to be honest.

If he survives the mayans he better survive a few more years :(

I'll spoiler this even though it doesn't reveal anything too specific
    After the shenanigans of ASOS the natural dip and influx of new characters could lead to a drop in viewers unless some really big name actors were brought in, which is why some of the viewers could get bored without anything really happening except building the blocks for the explosion of shenanigans I anticipate in the TWOW

I could talk about this for hours, as I recently caught up on all the books but it's not the right place for that :pac: So back on topic. Season 3 will be good :)

Doing both Feast and Dance at the same time (for the parts where they overlap) could wind up being mighty confusing.

As it is I think the series is tough for people to get into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Gbear wrote: »
    Doing both Feast and Dance at the same time (for the parts where they overlap) could wind up being mighty confusing.

As it is I think the series is tough for people to get into.

If they even did a single straight season of Feast - not to mind two - I'd imagine it'd kill the ratings fairly quickly. The adaptation so far have shown that the show writers are smart enoguh to work around the worst of Martin's excesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

In reference to the series overtaking the books. Myself and my cousin were chatting to a guy that works on the show, he's like an editors assistant or something. He said that the shows creators have their contract with Martin. There's a clause that says if he were to die, the ending goes with him. The creators are allowed access to anything written (notes manuscript etc) but he has not written down the ending. According to the guy I was speaking to, the creators hope (if the worst should happen) that Martin will have written enough so that they could improvise an ending based on where they think he's heading.

The guy also told us (SPOILER WARNING)
    that the Red Wedding is episode 9 of series tree and looks "****ing epic"

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tag : You have enough posts at this stage to know where the spoiler tag button is when making a post, please use them. Fair warning.

In reference to the series overtaking the books. Myself and my cousin were chatting to a guy that works on the show, he's like an editors assistant or something. He said that the shows creators have their contract with Martin. There's a clause that says if he were to die, the ending goes with him. The creators are allowed access to anything written (notes manuscript etc) but he has not written down the ending. According to the guy I was speaking to, the creators hope (if the worst should happen) that Martin will have written enough so that they could improvise an ending based on where they think he's heading.

The guy also told us (SPOILER WARNING)
    that the Red Wedding is episode 9 of series tree and looks "****ing epic"

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tag : You have enough posts at this stage to know where the spoiler tag button is when making a post, please use them. Fair warning.

I really would prefer if
    the red wedding wasn't episode nine, it will kind of ruin the surprise a little as people will be expecting something to happen, given the last two ninth episodes. Like I said above, IMO episode 8 would make the most sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Thank **** for calex71 being on the ball.

Had I come here a earlier and something was spoiled I would not be happy.

Thank you Calex. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Sorry guys hadn't done a spoiler on mobile yet, forgot it could be done by code too! My bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry guys hadn't done a spoiler on mobile yet, forgot it could be done by code too! My bad!

Ah the dreaded mobile ..... I'll let it slide so :D ..... I know the job I had getting the edit and spoiler tag in on mine lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Season 3 is getting so close I can almost taste it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Season 3 is getting so close I can almost taste it.
    It's unbearable isn't it. My advice would be if you have the books, reread them. If you don't have the books, get the books.

I got a 40" LCD in the sales... had never owned a HD telly before...

Guess what the first thing I downloaded in 1080p mkv was? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

A car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I say it looks great!

Now stop flutin' around and download all the David Attenborough docs in 1080p!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A car?

If only it were possible.

Planet Earth was the second thing I got. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

GerB40 wrote: »
    It's unbearable isn't it. My advice would be if you have the books, reread them. If you don't have the books, get the books.

Haven't read them but I will be buying them tomorrow! :D

Eason's giftcard ftw :cool:

I haven't seen it mentioned on the thread but George R. R. Martin is writing the 7th episode called "Autumn Storms" so this would lead me to believe that this episode will feature
    Robb and Catelyn et al on their way to they Freys, making sure the build up will be done right and then have the Red Wedding take place in episode 8, as to not fall on episode 9. I would imagine Bran and Jon's close call would also be appropriate here culminating with Jon heading back to the wall

Well George's episode is now renamed "Chains" so a good chance my theory about "Autumn Storms" is out. That probably shifts everything onto episode 8 now. My guess is that "Chains" is going to be
    Jaime/Brienne
    related?

http://grrm.livejournal.com/307647.htm

Edit:
    It's probably Dany related actually, just needed a few minutes to remember what happened pre RW :pac:

Well George's episode is now renamed "Chains" so a good chance my theory about "Autumn Storms" is out. That probably shifts everything onto episode 8 now. My guess is that "Chains" is going to be
    Jaime/Brienne
    related?

http://grrm.livejournal.com/307647.htm

Your theory could still be on track..
    Patchface's ramblings about the RW mentioned chains 'Fool's blood, king's blood, blood on the maiden's thigh, but chains for the guests and chains for the bridegroom, aye aye aye'

A new teaser video. Season 3 is beginning to gear up now, appreciate that they used "The Rains of Castamere" too :)

"The Rains of Castamere"

:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement