Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way for me to get to the U.S.A

Options
  • 13-09-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey Guys,

This thread is not meant to be insincere, I have genuine questions and I would appreciate if anyone with answers less than helpful please refrain from posting here.

Thanks

I'm 24 and from Dublin, I left school after my Junior cert and started a Plumbing apprenticeship. Everything was going brilliant, I was cruising through the trade when all of a sudden I was told I would be getting let go, Due to lack of work. Anyway long story short I'm stuck with half of an apprenticeship and no Leaving cert. I have been working in a vegetable farm 2 days a week for the last year and a half. I've finally had enough and want out of this Country. I contacted fas last year and they are struggling to get me through my apprenticeship as some phases are on the job phases, And there are not enough places in need of plumbers to place the Countries apprentices. I'm whole heartily considering moving to the U.S.A but I've no qualifications that match their visa's(I can do the work of any plumber but I have no paperwork) needs.

A friend of mine overstayed in the U.S a few years ago and is still there now. He has told me the Irish community there really looked after him and helped him with everything from work to accommodation.

I'm really thorn as I don't want to illegally overstay anywhere. But as I've mentioned previously i feel like i have no other avenue of entry.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

doylej886 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

This thread is not meant to be insincere, I have genuine questions and I would appreciate if anyone with answers less than helpful please refrain from posting here.

Thanks

I'm 24 and from Dublin, I left school after my Junior cert and started a Plumbing apprenticeship. Everything was going brilliant, I was cruising through the trade when all of a sudden I was told I would be getting let go, Due to lack of work. Anyway long story short I'm stuck with half of an apprenticeship and no Leaving cert. I have been working in a vegetable farm 2 days a week for the last year and a half. I've finally had enough and want out of this Country. I contacted fas last year and they are struggling to get me through my apprenticeship as some phases are on the job phases, And there are not enough places in need of plumbers to place the Countries apprentices. I'm whole heartily considering moving to the U.S.A but I've no qualifications that match their visa's(I can do the work of any plumber but I have no paperwork) needs.

A friend of mine overstayed in the U.S a few years ago and is still there now. He has told me the Irish community there really looked after him and helped him with everything from work to accommodation.

I'm really thorn as I don't want to illegally overstay anywhere. But as I've mentioned previously i feel like i have no other avenue of entry.

Can anyone advise me on this?

Would you consider going back to college as a mature student, may be worth it in the long term & get some qualifications? You are still a young man.

You won't have a visa to work in the states, no social security number, no medical insurance, probably working low paid jobs, always looking over your shoulder, maybe not able to return home in the event of family emergencies / celebrations etc
    If your lifted as an illegal, you will be turfed into jail & deported, never to return

I appreciate you are finding it tough but I wouldn't take that route

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Why the USA?
    You may want to consider Canada or Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 doylej886

Thanks very much for your 2 comments, I've decided to follow up the idea of a mature student.

Again I appreciate your help!

John

Advertisement