Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual bus fare versus getting the wheels

• 13-09-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

I was reading some of the threads on here slagging off dublin bus and having to listen to junkies upstairs shout their tales of woe down the phone. Then I was thinking of the alternative, the car.

If you were looking for a runaround to replace the bus and had E1,000 to spend on a motor after tax and insurance what would you get (must be legal and roadworthy "nct")?

carzone links would be useful.

are there cheap alternatives to public transport besides becoming a competitive walker?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Let me tell you something son ... Hot chicks dont **** guys on any bus !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I was reading some of the threads on here slagging off dublin bus and having to listen to junkies upstairs shout their tales of woe down the phone. Then I was thinking of the alternative, the car.

If you were looking for a runaround to replace the bus and had E1,000 to spend on a motor after tax and insurance what would you get (must be legal and roadworthy "nct")?

carzone links would be useful.

are there cheap alternatives to public transport besides becoming a competitive walker?

Bicycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Be much better asking that here OP http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=546

You'll get much more informative answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You would get something decent OP. DO IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Electric bike if you're commute is a few miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭veryangryman

True. Very true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

get a micra, they're chick magnets

There's a thead on motors called bangernomics or something:pac:. Oh here it is: cheap affordable motoring for peanuts :cool:.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056506575&page=238

That is all he would have, a lump of a jaaaaag on his drive way. A 2.5l auto ain't exactly cheap to run...A luxobarge weekend crusier at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Car pooling & Rent as you go cars are 2 decent options.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lorgach

Just get a Bus Pass.... before the Government takes them away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Hal1 wrote: »
    That is all he would have, a lump of a jaaaaag on his drive way. A 2.5l auto ain't exactly cheap to run...A luxobarge weekend crusier at best.

And no NCT on it it would be not a happy experience I fear
    It was the least sensible option for a grand I could come up with in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You'd be off your head driving a banger to work and going through all the hassle of sitting in traffic & finding parking. Get the bus and find something enjoyable to do on it - reading, listening to music, chilling out whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

cars can be a bit of a false economy imo.
    if a car is cheap enough to be comparible cost-wise to public transport, chances are it's old enough to develop problems, even in the short term, and turn into a potential money pit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

done deals

most cars at 1k will more than likely cost you more than double after a few months to fix, run, pass nct etc

I have a bmw but cant be arsed driving into work due to traffic and parking so I bus it everyday -today I had blonde junkie woman sitting beside me

it was nice

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭OnTheCounter

Bicycle?
    showing up to whereever you're going cold, wet, sweaty and tired is not really an ideal solution during an Irish winter and a 2.5 litre jag would cost way too much to run with the price of petrol plus something like that would cost more in repairs than to buy which wouldnt work either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

I assume that for that price, the engine is sold separately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

An x type jag is not a luxobarge by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a mondeo with a picture of a jaguar on the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

showing up to whereever you're going cold, wet, sweaty and tired is not really an ideal solution during an Irish winter and a 2.5 litre jag would cost way too much to run with the price of petrol plus something like that would cost more in repairs than to buy which wouldnt work either.

Dress appropriately for the weather, and you won't get cold, most offices have a shower room somewhere and once you get used to it you can cycle anywhere in Dublin Bus range once you HTFU without getting tired.

Then rather than spending money to get fatter you save money and get fitter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

.... But slutty girls do :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Am cycling to work every day, I never have to wait as bus stops, being asked for a fag or change, and I'm never caught in traffic with others, who believe, 'a car gives independence'. Handy enough, I must say :D

Advertisement