Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astrophotography season is open - M57 Ring Nebula

Options
  • 13-09-2012 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Clear skies last night so took first image of the season. M57 the ring nebula:

b85iyx.jpg

Also took a photo of the region of Sagittarius where pluto is hiding currently. Cant for the life of me find pluto in it though !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 HERRHOGAN

nice what scope have you got stars a little round are you
    using a sct i think f6.3 reducer would sort that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭jfSDAS

Nice picture!

Pluto is a tough one to spot as it lies in a star-rich region of the sky at the moment within Sagittarius.

I see that it is just past the large open cluster M25. The BAA Handbook's chart plots stars to magnitude 12 as does Guy Ottewell's Astronomical Calendar. I guess planetarium software is probably your best bet though to generate a sufficiently deep chart to identify Pluto for sure.

I think it was a couple of years ago that Pluto passed across dark nebulae in the Sagittarius Star Cloud over a period of a few weeks, giving imagers an ideal opportunity to nail the (dwarf) planet.

clear skies!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Lovely pic!

The darkness is nearly upon us :pac:

We should sticky this and get a decent winter pic thread going.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nice pic OP. What price range of scope are talking about to get that kind of magnification?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Thanks guys.
    HERRHOGAN wrote: »
    nice what scope have you got stars a little round are you
    using a sct i think f6.3 reducer would sort that out.

You're spot on there. It is a SCT and I didnt put on a focal reducer (couldnt find it at the time)
    Nice picture!

Pluto is a tough one to spot as it lies in a star-rich region of the sky at the moment within Sagittarius.

I see that it is just past the large open cluster M25. The BAA Handbook's chart plots stars to magnitude 12 as does Guy Ottewell's Astronomical Calendar. I guess planetarium software is probably your best bet though to generate a sufficiently deep chart to identify Pluto for sure.

I think it was a couple of years ago that Pluto passed across dark nebulae in the Sagittarius Star Cloud over a period of a few weeks, giving imagers an ideal opportunity to nail the (dwarf) planet.

clear skies!

John

Thanks John - star rich indeed !

10xhwz8.jpg

If anyone can find pluto in that , Ill buy them a beer.*

*Image may not be correctly orientated or even contain pluto. Beer maybe fictional.
    Nice pic OP. What price range of scope are talking about to get that kind of magnification?

Nebula are pretty big, you dont really need mag to see them just a decent appeture and dark skies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Nice one!
    What equipment did you use? Any processing done to the pic?
    Got a nice shot of andromeda myself over the weekend still have to stack the lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Awesome shot!...

Anyone recommend anything like this with just a DSLR and a 500mm lens??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Excellent picture of the Ring nebula. It was the first object I ever saw at the Dunsink Observatory as a kid, a long time ago. Never forget it.

Advertisement