Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorhome tourists not welcome in County Clare either.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

Are you sure this is really about occasional Motorhomes? Appears to stray into the wider issue of non tourist related campsites. Solution is to adequately provide for both needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Martin_D wrote: »
    Are you sure this is really about occasional Motorhomes? Appears to stray into the wider issue of non tourist related campsites. Solution is to adequately provide for both needs.

I would hope so and you are probably right.

However, those in Clare Co.Co. and the Councillors involved have drawn no distinction between law abiding bona fide tourists and others engaged in anti-social behaviour, causing litter, pollution, dangerous parking and setting up unauthorised encampments all of which which should be addressed by enforcement of existing legislation covering such activities.

It is a pity not one of the Councillors involved spoke in favour of following the example of their peers in Northern Ireland and Co. Donegal http://www.visitinishowen.com/accommodation/search for example, instead of casting all the users of motorhomes in the mould of undesirables.

It needs to be understood that the attitude and inflammatory remarks made by the Councillors and printed in the media often lead to 'justification' in the minds of the morons who threaten the safety and disturb the peace and quiet of people like you and I in the middle of the night.
    When the 'political class' start identifying particular and identifiable groups in society as 'undesirable' and 'a blot on the landscape' we are indeed entering into dangerous times, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

I feel very welcome always in County Leitrim, no unwelcome signs about. They seem to appreciate business in this part of the country. I often wonder what our overseas visitors who take their Motorhomes to Ireland think of the No No signs in a lot of places. Ireland needs both local and overseas visitors spending money. A lot of the Councils in this land need to cop on fast.

Absolutely. The quotes from Clare are not what you encounter generally in that tourist savvy county. Shooting themselves in the foot if they bar our tourist euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I recall many years ago taking an offer for music sessions in Ballyvaughan when I was based in Oranmore. I thought it took an hour to get there because I was used to all the camper vans and mobile homes doing 50kph taking 1 hour to do the 26 miles to my destination.

Imagine my shock and delight in doing the same journey at 8pm in less than 1/2 an hour, because there were no camper vans on the road at that hour.

What use to be a purgatorial trial was, at this relatively late hour, an utter pleasure.

The journey to Ballyvaughan from Oranmore at, say 2 or 3 pm in the day at the height of the summer season, at least 1 hour at 50 kph behind some creature in a camper van.

The same journey can be done in 1/2 hour at 8 or 9 in the evening.

Thats the reason why I am not a fan of these wretched devices.

If people wonder why I don't overtake, well its impossible at any stretch south of Ballindereen because the roads are very crooked........all the way to BallyV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Campervans are great. When I head down west for the weekend from Dublin, I do not have to spend a cent there. We bring food and plenty of cans and disposable bbq's from Dublin. Sometimes I can see locals getting a bit upset but so what.
    If cars behind are trying to pass its a good idea to pull in sometimes though.

Buy local to your destination mate. prices generally the same. your own locality gets you business for most of the year - share it around.

As regards overtaking. At 50 km any decent car driver could overtake safely over a 20 mile distance. Pity the auld roads were not upgraded by the council!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

Buy local to your destination QUOTE]
    prices of food and drink in the big towns / cities is much cheaper, and there is a better choice, than little convenience shops. There is a recession on. Most campervans bring their own, I'm not the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

We bring what food that would go off at home, and usualy a lump of cooked meat (frozen, helps the fridge) and then we stock up as we need to. Also we generally eat out once a day. Before we head for home we normally do some shopping for the house. Everyone should try to share the wealth. Japer, you're letting our side down. To even the score, next time I'm in dublin I'm bringing everything that I need and I'm buying nuthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

doolox wrote: »
    I recall many years ago taking an offer for music sessions in Ballyvaughan when I was based in Oranmore. I thought it took an hour to get there because I was used to all the camper vans and mobile homes doing 50kph taking 1 hour to do the 26 miles to my destination.

Imagine my shock and delight in doing the same journey at 8pm in less than 1/2 an hour, because there were no camper vans on the road at that hour.

What use to be a purgatorial trial was, at this relatively late hour, an utter pleasure.

The journey to Ballyvaughan from Oranmore at, say 2 or 3 pm in the day at the height of the summer season, at least 1 hour at 50 kph behind some creature in a camper van.

If people wonder why I don't overtake, well its impossible at any stretch south of Ballindereen because the roads are very crooked........all the way to BallyV.

I wasn't sure if I should reply to this post but my curiosity got the better of me.

I'm slightly baffled by this post of yours doolox.
    Firstly, I have a small 1986 camper that is very happy travelling at 80kph except up hills. I have yet to come across campervans doing just 50kph outside of built up areas where that is the speed limit. Perhaps you're getting confused with 50mph which is 80kph and is the max limit on a lot of roads?.
    Secondly, as your post is very clear on how much you detest those of us with campervans, I have to ask the question, what was your reason for looking on this section of boards?. I detest rap music so you will never in a month of sundays find me looking at a site/thread that is for rap music lovers.

By the way, I don't know the stretch of road that you refer to but is a slower speed safer perhaps?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Imagine my shock and delight in doing the same journey at 8pm in less than 1/2 an hour, because there were no camper vans on the road at this hour of the evening.

So let me get this straight , you do a 26 mile run, from an urban area, on roads you describe as very crooked, in a half hour?
    And yet it's the motorhomers who aren't driving properly? Pot, kettle, black. And I speak as a clubman rally driver.
    What about the cattle trucks? Milk lorries? Tractors? Combine harvesters? Do you detest them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I'm going to say what no-one else seems to have said..... Is the problem back behind in Clare with people from the Travelling Community or the typical MH owner here on boards? Just seeing as the paper mentioned Caravans, and tis rare to see occasional carsvanners wild camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

While we were in Tralee this summer, we went up to Banna beach most days. A group of travellers in camper vans arrived one afternoon and stayed a few days. They didn't cause any trouble or leave any mess behind but having 8-10 camper vans in a group taking up a good bit of space in the car park was a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Japer wrote: »
    Campervans are great. When I head down west for the weekend from Dublin, I do not have to spend a cent there. We bring food and plenty of cans and disposable bbq's from Dublin. Sometimes I can see locals getting a bit upset but so what.
    If cars behind are trying to pass its a good idea to pull in sometimes though.
    That's precisely the attitude which makes you unwelcome. I moved from Dublin to the West years ago and I have a campervan. It was only when I moved that I realised the disdain Dubs in campervans are looked at with by the locals due to their non support of the local economy. We use our van all over Connemeara and we support the local economy. You do get exceptions but these are normally non Irish campervanners or non Dub Campervanners who actually have a grasp of what happens outside the pale. Bottom line is, support local or I can guarantee No No signs will be popping up everywhere West of Tarmonbarry. As a Dub myself, no offence like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Buy local to your destination QUOTE]
    prices of food and drink in the big towns / cities is much cheaper, and there is a better choice, than little convenience shops. There is a recession on. Most campervans bring their own, I'm not the only one.
    That's right, I forgot Tesco, Aldi and Lidl don't exist outside the Pale...mehh.

hiram wrote: »
    That's right, I forgot Tesco, Aldi and Lidl don't exist outside the Pale...mehh.

And don't forger our own home grown chains/multiples like Supervalu, Centra, Londis etc.
    The Supervalu stores are every bit as good as the foreign ones overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I recall many years ago taking an offer for music sessions in Ballyvaughan when I was based in Oranmore.

I wonder how many of your audience were holidaying in campers or caravans. Also the majority of campervans are based on commercial vehicles and have no problem maintaining reasonable progress on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Imagine my shock and delight in doing the same journey at 8pm in less than 1/2 an hour, because there were no camper vans on the road at this hour of the evening.

So let me get this straight , you do a 26 mile run, from an urban area, on roads you describe as very crooked, in a half hour?
    And yet it's the motorhomers who aren't driving properly? Pot, kettle, black. And I speak as a clubman rally driver.
    What about the cattle trucks? Milk lorries? Tractors? Combine harvesters? Do you detest them too?

Methinks someone needs to swap a d for a b..............

Maybe we should try Scotland

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-20297182

It looks like they are making special provisions for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I haven't been able to get out and about much this year so does anyone have any up to date tales of parking-up here at home?.

We know that councils don't have much money to spend out on new facilities at the moment, but if they just left us alone and relied on us being sensible all would be grand.

• Advertisement

I spend most of my time in my camper trying to upset natives as little as possible and be considerate.
    I average 80kmp/h on most roads and it's very rare I find anyone going slower. I pull in anytime it is safe to do so.

On the other hand I receive all sorts of grief and discrimination from the self righteous and curtain twitchers.
    Police knock by mostly in the small hours asking "what's going on here?", fire brigade are called to a "burning vehicle" that clearly has a controlled fire emitted from a chimney (I am very conscious of the burner emissions and use "smokeless" fuel and do not operate it in built up areas or anywhere it will blow in windows or premises).
    People think it ok to peer in windows of a camper, or introduce themselves drunk at 4am.
    Graffiti "artists" tag my vehicle etc. etc.

It appears that a lifestyle choice outside the norm. is hard to accept.

From my experience I have found the value of the resources most take for granted (and therefore quite often waste). With limited water and energy one learns to conserve these things. Thus an appreciation and awareness of the limited nature of these on a global scale becomes relevant. Without diversity ideas are shifted to rules and there is no progress.
    As far as I can see we are facing our own destruction from manipulation of our environment which produces abundantly wasted resources, this is unfortunately an accepted part of our modern lives. I do not think the way forwards from here is to eliminate the radicals.

Respect, live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Only tourists staying in hotels / b&bs are really welcome in Ireland it seems.

Who with a family has the money to holiday these days in Ireland?

Advertisement